Aquarium Gravel Life

Reef Runner

Forum Supporter
I have a "Lortone 33B Tumbler"', with double, 3 lb tubs. I have been using natural aquarium gravel, Dawn dish-washing detergent, and ammonia, to clean my clad, coppers, and other appropriate finds, in the tumbler, with very good results. I have been using the same gravel in my tubs, since sometime back in July (maybe a run every 2 - 3 weeks). So now, I am wondering if there is a good "rule of thumb", pertaining to "aquarium gravel life", and just how long someone should expect it to do the job, or is this something that you should just change periodically, depending on use? I think that I may be beginning to notice a bit of deterioration, and possibly, the gravel may be beginning to tumble itself smooth, thereby, not doing quite as good a job on the clad, as it once did (?). Does anyone have a feel for this ?

Is it regular old aquarium gravel, like you get a "Wally World" ?
yes ,bought at pets are us ,used about once or twice a week regular aquarium gravel just throw a few new ones every once in a while .worked for me .as a matter of fact I just purchased a two pound bag of jewelers steel split shot this a.m. heard it works great on silver jewerly

yes ,bought at pets are us ,used about once or twice a week regular aquarium gravel just throw a few new ones every once in a while .worked for me .as a matter of fact I just purchased a two pound bag of jewelers steel split shot this a.m. heard it works great on silver jewerly

Where did you get the Jewelers steel split shot ? Got a link ?

Any gravel should work longer than the life of the tumbler. The sharp edges on some of it should wear down after a while and become smoother , more rounded , that could make it take a little longer to clean coins but it should polish their surface a little better while doing less actual damage to detail on the coins.

I believe the gravel I'm using is approximately 4 years old. It's rock so as long as its chunky should still be ok. (I hope) :D

Back
Top Bottom