Cemetery Metal Detecting

I will have to admit I have hunted in a cemetery area one time. It was strictly in the area where people parked, never in an area where there were any headstones. I still did not feel completely comfortable with it, and did not stay long.

Well, suppose it's a family (your family) cemetery, and it happens to be on "your" property, and you own it & the surrounding property, outright. Then what is the opinion ? Just curious ?

I'm not sure the code of ethics even mentions cemeteries but either way you're welcome to your opinion but I have to say, not all religious sects feel the same as most about death, the afterlife and cemeteries. I have been asked to detect at least a dozen cemeteries. Sometimes when I kind of ignore the permission, request, they ask a second time. Sometimes they have been a little disappointed when I don't detect their cemetery. Maybe you don't need to be so rigid with this subject. This religious group has thousands of members all around the U.S. and are the nicest people to work with. Maybe you could consider that not everyone is as passionate as you are on the subject.

The feeling that cemetaries should be off limits isn't necessarily a religious concept. Respect for the deceased as well as their families or decendants , and for the communities as well , demands that this ground be considered sacred whether a person is religious or not. Hunting cemetaries assaults and degrades the public trust in general , and sheds a bad light on what we do specifically. All for personal gain. Humanity is supposed to be better than that.

Well, suppose it's a family (your family) cemetery, and it happens to be on "your" property, and you own it & the surrounding property, outright. Then what is the opinion ? Just curious ?

Plundering the final resting place of your ancestors kind of takes it to a new low. Certainly they are deserving of more respect than that. I know the dead don't care , but the living should.

Plundering the final resting place of your ancestors kind of takes it to a new low. Certainly they are deserving of more respect than that. I know the dead don't care , but the living should.

Well, I certainly don't consider it "plundering the final resting place of my ancestors", as you so carelessly put it, nor do I appreciate you inferring that I would be taking this "to a new low". I have more respect for my ancestors (many who served and died in the Civil War), than you will ever know. There just happens to be an old family (my family) grave site on "my" property, and I can assure you that I won't be "plundering" anything. If I want to look around the old cemetery, and/or it's surrounding area, I don't need anyone's permission, or blessing - it's my business, it's my property, it's my cemetery, and most of all, it's my family, so get over it. I'm surely not going to be digging any craters, nor disturbing anything, and I resent the inference. However, I may just find something that could be meaningful to my family - again that is - "MY" family. :mad:

The feeling that cemetaries should be off limits isn't necessarily a religious concept. Respect for the deceased as well as their families or decendants , and for the communities as well , demands that this ground be considered sacred whether a person is religious or not. Hunting cemetaries assaults and degrades the public trust in general , and sheds a bad light on what we do specifically. All for personal gain. Humanity is supposed to be better than that.
VERY well said.........

Ah hell just find the groundskeeper,ask him where he keeps his shovel and go for it.And if you come across a ring with a finger in it,you won't need to find the owner.Theres a big upside here,borrowed tools,no hassle returning rings,,the list goes on.

You make it look like I would be climbing over headstones and plundering the place. This is their property. Their relations have been buried here since they came to this country. They use the cemetery for picnics and other gatherings. And they are curious what is there I guess. Can't think of any other reason to ask me. They certainly aren't plundering there own property. Again, this is their dojo . If you want to shake your head in bewildment, maybe I agree but to shake your head in disgust, well, you aren't wearing their shoes. You weren't there and each time they ask me, I get closer to granting their wish. Sorry if it sheds a bad light on anyone half a continent away.

Well, I certainly don't consider it "plundering the final resting place of my ancestors", as you so carelessly put it, nor do I appreciate you inferring that I would be taking this "to a new low". I have more respect for my ancestors (many who served and died in the Civil War), than you will ever know. There just happens to be an old family (my family) grave site on "my" property, and I can assure you that I won't be "plundering" anything. If I want to look around the old cemetery, and/or it's surrounding area, I don't need anyone's permission, or blessing - it's my business, it's my property, it's my cemetery, and most of all, it's my family, so get over it. I'm surely not going to be digging any craters, nor disturbing anything, and I resent the inference. However, I may just find something that could be meaningful to my family - again that is - "MY" family. :mad:

I guess nothing is sacred if you could find a silver coin or two there. Your family , your property , your business so do what you want ,....but you did ask the question. You had to have known you may not like some of the answers. For what its worth I didn't mean any offense , I just offered my perspective....which a lot of people share.

Last edited:
I guess nothing is sacred if you could find a silver coin or two there. Your family , your property , your business so do what you want ,....but you did ask the question. You had to have known you may not like some of the answers. For what its worth I didn't mean any offense , I just offered my perspective....which a lot of people share.

I wanted to leave this thread alone, probably not making any friends, but no one seems to even consider another's thoughts unless it's in line with their own. The man says"maybe I'll find something meaningful to my family ". Your reply, "I guess nothing is sacred if ......." . Really?
One last thing. Want to learn something? Google funeral rites around the world. You'll discover there's a whole lot of disrespectful people outside the U.S. and this conversation's silly in that perspective. HH

As for the silver coins, I have never heard that suggestion/theory (that people tossed them out, around a gravesite). Maybe so, though ? As for the offense part, none taken. Kinda sorry for popping off at you like that, and I do realize that it was only your perspective, which normally, I agree with, 100% of the time. Only difference here is, as I mentioned before, it is my property, my cemetery, and my family. It's not like the deceased are strangers, or un-known individuals. Also, you can rest assured that I would never desecrate anything, nor would I plunder, especially someone's gravesite. I was only interested in the possibly that there may be some family relics, lost or dropped in the area.

Either way, we all have our own opinion, and you know how that goes. Opinions are just like - well you know - and everyone has one........✌️

Back
Top Bottom