Detecting in Chile

JaMoSo82

Elite Member
I lived in Chile for a couple of years but did not have nor was I able to a metal detector. I was wondering if anyone knew where to find their laws regarding this hobby, or if anyone has any experience detecting there. I have friends there still and I would like to plan a trip not only to see them but also to so a little digging. If anyone is familiar as a foreigner with the regulations in Chile for this hobby, please feel free to share them. I will ask my people there as well and post anything I find. Their history goes back incredibly far.

Oldest coin- 1958 Wheatie

I lived in Chile for a couple of years but did not have nor was I able to a metal detector. I was wondering if anyone knew where to find their laws regarding this hobby, or if anyone has any experience detecting there. I have friends there still and I would like to plan a trip not only to see them but also to so a little digging. If anyone is familiar as a foreigner with the regulations in Chile for this hobby, please feel free to share them. I will ask my people there as well and post anything I find. Their history goes back incredibly far.

You might try this:

All the major manufacturers (Whites, Garrett, Minelab, Fisher, etc...) will have lists of their dealers and distributors. Find out if any have dealer/distributors in Chile. Or if not, any of the nearby countries (Argentina, Bolivia, Peru, etc...) Because they too , no doubt, sell to person going that direction.

The local md'rs will tend to know the real "skinny" on it. If there's anything that says "No md'ing" or not. I know that in all the south American countries that front the beach/ocean (like Chile), that metal detectors are a common site on tourist beaches. I bet it's no different in Chile.

I'm sure you'll have to keep away from obvious historic sensitive monuments. But beyond that, I've never heard of any south american or Caribbean country that has any specific "no md'ing" rule/law. If you get wind of any such thing, it's usually for the historic monuments, or shipwreck salvor, or exporting gold bars, blah blah. So look closely for any "dire" information you get like that, to see if they're confusing fumble fingers hobbyist stuff, with "raiding the pyramids" type stuff.

You might try this:

All the major manufacturers (Whites, Garrett, Minelab, Fisher, etc...) will have lists of their dealers and distributors. Find out if any have dealer/distributors in Chile. Or if not, any of the nearby countries (Argentina, Bolivia, Peru, etc...) Because they too , no doubt, sell to person going that direction.

The local md'rs will tend to know the real "skinny" on it. If there's anything that says "No md'ing" or not. I know that in all the south American countries that front the beach/ocean (like Chile), that metal detectors are a common site on tourist beaches. I bet it's no different in Chile.

I'm sure you'll have to keep away from obvious historic sensitive monuments. But beyond that, I've never heard of any south american or Caribbean country that has any specific "no md'ing" rule/law. If you get wind of any such thing, it's usually for the historic monuments, or shipwreck salvor, or exporting gold bars, blah blah. So look closely for any "dire" information you get like that, to see if they're confusing fumble fingers hobbyist stuff, with "raiding the pyramids" type stuff.
Thanks :-) The biggest thing I heard of problems with was the topic of permissions. Supposedly a high majority of the land in Chile is privately owned. I will ask and post anything I learn here. Strangely, a Google search on Chilean Metal detecting laws doesn't bring up a whole lot...

..... Strangely, a Google search on Chilean Metal detecting laws doesn't bring up a whole lot...

Have you looked to find laws of Chile IN GENERAL ? And then going through those laws (key word searches of "metal" or "detecting", etc...) Eh ? Why would that be "strange" or give you cause to worry ? If there were no law against it, then one would expect that you "won't bring up a whole lot".

And even if you DID find something "dire", remember to see if, in reality, that's addressing something about federal sites, or historic monuments, etc... (versus casual hobbyist fumble fingers stuff)

Reminds me of a few fellows exchanging posts about a certain Asian country they were musing on md'ing. But ... after searching far and wide, could find NOTHING about metal detecting there (despite a thorough search of the laws). And this "worried" them. But ask yourself: Are they waiting to see an express allowance ? As if there would be a sign saying "metal detecting allowed here" ?

Hence the absence of any laws or prohibitions is all you need to have. No need to wonder "why don't I see it mentioned ?". Lack of mention is a GOOD thing :)

Have you looked to find laws of Chile IN GENERAL ? And then going through those laws (key word searches of "metal" or "detecting", etc...) Eh ? Why would that be "strange" or give you cause to worry ? If there were no law against it, then one would expect that you "won't bring up a whole lot".

And even if you DID find something "dire", remember to see if, in reality, that's addressing something about federal sites, or historic monuments, etc... (versus casual hobbyist fumble fingers stuff)

Reminds me of a few fellows exchanging posts about a certain Asian country they were musing on md'ing. But ... after searching far and wide, could find NOTHING about metal detecting there (despite a thorough search of the laws). And this "worried" them. But ask yourself: Are they waiting to see an express allowance ? As if there would be a sign saying "metal detecting allowed here" ?

Hence the absence of any laws or prohibitions is all you need to have. No need to wonder "why don't I see it mentioned ?". Lack of mention is a GOOD thing :)
Most definitely. Glad there is not much mention of it. Thanks for your responses.

Back
Top Bottom