Good cheap detector?

Utahguy801

So I have an opportunity to go to an unpatented mining claim in Idaho with a friend that owns the mineral rights. And I am really interested in checking it out.

We are taking some pans and a sluice box but he suggested I bring a metal detector that detects gold. I have maybe 150-200 dollars I can spend on a good used/cheap detector. What should I be looking for? I saw one on eBay but it takes almost a week to transfer funds into my paypal. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really want to make this a worth while trip because I am not sure when or if it will happen again.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Check out the Tesoro Compadre,I just got one & have never seen a detector that hits on gold so well, at least gold jewelry. It will beep on tiny linked gold chains like you wouldn't believe. They are $151.20 brand new, very light weight,easy to use and have a lifetime warranty.

Attachments

• compadre.jpg
    compadre.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 649
Saw this at Christmas Tree Shop with the wife. $20 Metal Dector for +6 and Up. I don't think I would recommend this one. 8-)

You can find a used Garrett Ace 250 for around $175 or get a new one for $212 I have a used one and can get you a new one. PM me if interested.

I was looking at price range but it would still do good for gold but not as good as a gold detector of course with the right mghz range.

Cool thanks guys. I looked everywhere for a Metal Detector and I couldn't find one for under 500 dollars. But I wasn't sure exactly what I am looking for.

I am gonna order the Tesoro and see how that works. Thanks again! I will post photos of what I come up with.

Not quite all the way left Diggler, full left would be off. At that setting it would work about the same as an Ace :lol::lol::lol:. Sorry couldn't resist :D.
\
I can't believe you said that. Now I know why you're selling off so many of your detectors-but at least you have the Compadre figured out.:p:lol::lol::lol:

Don't forget to give your closest craigslist a look. You might find a good deal that you can pick up locally.

Yeah I have been keeping an eye on KSL.com and Craigslist.com. FYI for anyone in Utah there are some nice Metal Detectors up on KSL right now.

Well, thanks. I'm not a whiz when it comes to electronics. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Dusty

Well, thanks. I'm not a whiz when it comes to electronics. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Dusty
Supposedly the higher the frequency the better at finding low conductors such as gold. Frequency has alot to do with it but in my opinion discrimination is just as important, the lower a detector discriminates the better I feel.

Back
Top Bottom