• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

help on purchase

algernonius

hi, i am new to metal detecting, and from what i have observed, it seems like a lot of fun!  however, i need help on buying my first metal detector.  could i get a good one from ebay?  please help
al

Most of thedetectors on Ebay are Chinese junk. However , there are some decent people who auction there and sell decent used detectors. Once again though , they have no warranty for the most part and you are on your own with one. There are a lot of good dealers around that sell just detecting equipment. Try one of us . I'm sure we can help you out. I do have a few used detectors in stock if you're interested. :yes:

I like the forum guys or people like tony. I found the Ebay people knew very little about the detectors or medal detecting. I got my DFX from a dealer for about $650. If you know what they cost you know i got a deal. It was only 2 months old. Most of the major detector companys have brocures about their detectors on their web sites. If you find one with a warranty on Ebay see if you can get the dector number and call the company. They can tell you if their is still warranty on it.

Tony gives good advice, most people on this forum know what they are talking about. Tony sells them therefore he should know his product well!

Tony is a good guy to deal with, I purchased my xterra from him. I'm sure any of the dealers that support this board are good guys, and it's always good to help the little guy out instead of the big company. ;)

there are some good deals on e-bay (and other sites)do some research and decide which one you want then go to classifieds.minelab warranty is only good for first owner but white detector warranty is transferrable (2 years from date of original purchase),tesoro has lifetime on all their detectors.personally i bought a minelab sov xs with a dti meter and sunray probe for $285 on e-bay and i wouldn't sell it for less than $475.personally i would recommend one of the sovereign line.befor this i was using a tesoro bandito and had pounded my yard numerous times.first day with sov i found 12 coins the bandito had missed (including an 1896 barber dime at 9 inches.)sov is also very good on wet salt water beaches.if you want to include nugget hunting you may want to think about a white mxt,good all around machine.but again if money is an issue go with the sov.you'll get a great machine for $325 or so(i'm a little prejudiced because of the success i've had.i've consistently outhunted white xlt,garretand, teoro models ,etc but again it's personal preference.personally i believe used is way to go.you can get top end machine for fraction of cost..treasure depot has good classified ads as well as this site and others.so do some homework,decide what you want and start looking.....good luck and hh

Just to clarify ; ONLY Whites has a transferable warranty for up to 24 months. NO OTHER manufacturer does. Some people have success with ebay and some don't. A reputable dealer is still the way to go. Many will go the extra mile for you. Ebay has no one to turn to except ebay and if you read paypal's rules even they only cover themselves NOT YOU. If someone uses a stolen card , you are basically unprotected. I've been around a long time in this business and although used gets you a "cheaper priced" detector , it still may cost you more in the long run. If you ARE looking used I still say the detector dealer is the way to go. They are not going to jeopardize their dealership selling junk.

I fix computers, teach pc literacy and give advice to people looking for a deal. I have told my clients a dozen times not to purchase off of ebay but they do anyway. The last "deal" a client bought was a laptop, $150. It had XP and all office loaded on it. That was a good deal except for the fact that the laptop was used, 128 memory which was not enough to run xp efficiently. Couldn't be upgraded because it was originally loaded with windows 98 and couldn't handle more memory on the motherboard. So in the ad it looked great but in reality it was a dud. You get what you pay for folks, sometimes you do get lucky but why would you purchase anything from a place that sells bagged air from Yorkshire???? :roll:

Back
Top Bottom