Help me with this locket!!

Chipk

Elite Member
Today I found what appears to be a gold locket. It’s about the size of a half dollar and came out of the ground ( about 5 inches deep) nice and shiny.

However I can’t open it up. There is a green crust along the edges of the sides. There is not enough room to force it or pry it open so I’m hoping there’s something I can soak it in to loosen it up or eliminate that crust.

I’m trying olive oil until a better solution comes along.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• AF7F6E0E-FD15-471D-9DA7-AFCF9B7A85A3.jpg
    AF7F6E0E-FD15-471D-9DA7-AFCF9B7A85A3.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 172
Wd 40...soak it. Hopefully there is no picture inside to ruin . I found a small one once and did that and it opened fine.

If it has a smooth surface on both sides, you can use a couple suction cups to apply some pulling force, to try opening it. Might take more soaking, some WD-40, etc. Repeated attempts might loosen it enough to open. No prying damage that way.

OK, IF it has green stuff around the edges, that means it's gold-filled. Many many Victorian lockets were gold filled. thus yes the outside would be nice and shiny, but the inside would corrode.
Look for the hinge. The clasp will be opposite that. That's the area to concentrate on, in trying to open it. Good luck
Sage(Loves lockets!)Grouse

Back
Top Bottom