You ever find anything colonial in NC?

Jare

Hello. I’m going on a trip to North Carolina this summer. I’m not sure which area yet, so I’m not looking for places to hunt, I’m just asking you to share stories and finds of colonial, or otherwise old, relics and coins found in NC. I’m from Texas, and we don’t have a whole lot of anything pre 1880’s in my area, so I’m wondering what it’s like up there. Thank you

North Carolina as a whole is rich in colonial history really. I live I. Rutherford County and we have Gilbert Town here. I know from Gilbert Town East the revolution had several skirmishes. The battle of Kings Mountain to just across the line in Cowpens SC where the battle of Cowpens was fought. Naturally you can't hit the war grounds, but everywhere in between would be great hunting.

Coastal NC has a lot of old history. I'm 10 minutes from downtown New Bern, it was founded in 1710. Do some research on the city/county laws before you swing. Message me if you come to the area.

My best find is a 1783 Spanish 1/2 Real in my avatar. I have dug over 50 colonial buttons (flat and ornate), 2 cuff-links, camp lead, rolled lead fishing net weights, 3 ringer bullets, ornate brass what-its, pottery, glass, Indian head pennies, etc.

didn't some Americans and Mexicans have a fight at the Alamo? Seems like there has to be some spanish coins somewhere in Texas.

Yessir, in 1836 the we fought the Spanish at the Alamo down in San Antonio. Before then, back in the 1700s there were Spanish missions in Texas. So you’re correct, there are some great places if you know where to find them.

Coastal NC has a lot of old history. I'm 10 minutes from downtown New Bern, it was founded in 1710. Do some research on the city/county laws before you swing. Message me if you come to the area.

My best find is a 1783 Spanish 1/2 Real in my avatar. I have dug over 50 colonial buttons (flat and ornate), 2 cuff-links, camp lead, rolled lead fishing net weights, 3 ringer bullets, ornate brass what-its, pottery, glass, Indian head pennies, etc.

Makes me think it would be worth coming to visit my old(er) brother PermanentlyLost! :laughing:

Hello. I’m going on a trip to North Carolina this summer. I’m not sure which area yet, so I’m not looking for places to hunt, I’m just asking you to share stories and finds of colonial, or otherwise old, relics and coins found in NC. I’m from Texas, and we don’t have a whole lot of anything pre 1880’s in my area, so I’m wondering what it’s like up there. Thank you

Well yes.... Of course. If you watch the MD'ing forum show & tells columns for any length of time: You'll see that Large Cents & colonial coppers are brimming out of every sandbox over there.

Good luck ! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom