Night Hunting / Do you???

Perquimans

Forum Supporter
I've read in previous forum posts about some of the members that hunt at night. Well I applaud of you who do! As for me there are to many critters (wolves, bears, etc.) around here for me to even think about it!!

I like hunting at night, but the only place I ever do is at the beach. Woods would be fun, but I'd be too worried about looking up and seeing a bear or wolf charging at me.

I've been hunting at night a few times, and it's quite enjoyable because it's mostly peaceful, but the mosquitoes still get to me, regardless of how much repellent I put on.

But I don't often hunt at night because I'm afraid someone will sneak up on me...the good hunting spots are usually in the dodgy suburbs. I like to see what's going on around me.

I have, but only a few times. One place was a field that we had permission, but they were afraid of someone else seeing us and pestering them. The other I forgot about, and I am sticking to that story. :D

You just need to wear the right outfit for night detecting :laughing::laughing::laughing:
nightfield_md.jpg

Never really planned to do a night hunt, but if I know I may be out when the sun goes down I'll throw a headlamp in my bag. Unfortunately, now a days, I don't like being around some places after dark. Sad world we live in...

I was introduced to night hunting recently and I like it quite a bit. Been out a few times now but it's best to be with someone to watch each others backs. We were out the other night in a field with a full moon and perfect temps. We dug some silvers within a short amount of time. No wolves or bears in our suburbs but I wouldn't night hunt in our hills, deserts or mountains due to rattlesnakes and scorpions.

Never really planned to do a night hunt, but if I know I may be out when the sun goes down I'll throw a headlamp in my bag. Unfortunately, now a days, I don't like being around some places after dark. Sad world we live in...

That's The Truth, I'm Always Looking For Cave Inventory Property For Sale :D

I think a night hunt would be awesome in ideal conditions, fenced in private property and

such.

I would never do a night hunt anywhere within 10 miles of where I live, I would either be

attacked by gang members or accosted by the Police. :laughing:

I hunt late at night or early early morning mostly because it hard for me to get out during normal daytime hours unless i'm lucky. Fortunately I have a few permissions where I can go whenever. Woods are kind of creepy so i run with my GG headphones cranked to 10 around my neck so i cans till hear everything.

Oldest coin- 1950 S wheat penny.

I hunt at night when I can..

I beach hunt and relic hunt in the summer months at night. I have beach hunted alone but woods and relic hunting at night only if I have a hunting buddy with me...I carry 2 way radios for night hunting. There are a few well lit beaches around here that are open all night..

I used to scuba dive at night and it was fantastic. At night the colors are unbelievable. Squid, as an example, are fluorescent green or pink. Many creatures come out at night that don’t come out during the day.

Metal detecting at night is also thrilling. You have to depend on your senses well beyond vision. I rarely use my headlamp or a flashlight.

It drives my wife nuts when I night hunt so I don’t do it as much as I’d like. But when I can, I do.

I never hunt at night. I'm not really worried about wild animals but you never know about some of them wild humans. And then there's the possibility of being harassed by the police.

I used to scuba dive at night and it was fantastic. At night the colors are unbelievable. Squid, as an example, are fluorescent green or pink. Many creatures come out at night that don’t come out during the day.

Metal detecting at night is also thrilling. You have to depend on your senses well beyond vision. I rarely use my headlamp or a flashlight.

It drives my wife nuts when I night hunt so I don’t do it as much as I’d like. But when I can, I do.
No headlamp? You're nuts ;-)

Oldest coin- 1950 S wheat penny.

During the Dead hours from 3am to pre dawn is a great time to sweep a beach or waterhunt, snow hill hunt, stadium, whatever.....Nobodies out, ample parking...you dont need a light, all your other senses are doubly sharp, the World is quiet...

Since this is an Audio Primary sport, you can hunt heads up to keep an eye out for anything/anybody approaching, then avoid/evade...you can see them, but they cant see you if you are dark running...Its not as hard as you think, and you may find it quite preferred...

Artificial light sources are a relatively new concept. Humans have been running around on this Planet without lights for a long time...

You can get in some really great hunts before work during the Dead Hours...Its peaceful, productive, just as relaxing as if you were sleeping...

Attachments

• sept 20-16-2.jpg
    sept 20-16-2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 241
  • snow3.jpg
    snow3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 240
  • snow4.jpg
    snow4.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 242
I hunt at night all the time, and I love it. I too live in an area that has bears, coy wolfs, coyotes, and even the occasional mountain lion passing through. The only thing that ever messes with me is the bigger packs of coy wolves/coyotes. I am in the process of trying to get my handgun permit. In all reality the only thing I'm really worried about is crossing paths with a traveling mountain lion or large pack of coy wolves. Usually the mountain lions are traveling because of food shortage or because they were pushed out of their territory.... Makes for a dangerous animal.

I suggest you get a hand gun or can of mace and an air horn. They will deter most anything you are worried about. Just hunt with one ear open and your head on a swivel.

we hunt at night time a lot over the summer. we hunt old civil war hospitals and farm fields here in Gettysburg. during the day the sun kills you and the surrounding house have kids that follow you asking what you are doing. we get 3 to 5 people in a field on a full moon with a slight breeze going.... great time! head lamp, extra batteries, 2 bottles of water..... i'll see ya at sunrise.

I also love night hunting, try to do it more in the summer than winter months and typically hit the totters or ballfields. I do mostly stay out of the woods at night, not becuase of the animals but because I don't want a tree branch stuck in an eyeball. I do keep a headlight with me but not for hunting purposes, more for when I set down my digger or pointer and can't find the darn thing in the dark. Hear pleanty of coyotes nearby but they never poke thier heads out that I can see. There is one soccer field that I've had a few skunks coming running in my direction and I've had to leap, hollar and wave the MD around to get them to turn the other direction.

Back
Top Bottom