circulation finds?

Usa

Elite Member
Hello fellow detectorists , some time ago my Mom found a1927 or 28 merc,first one I ever saw.Whats your awesome circulation finds?

Circulation finds are sparse these days since my my cash carrying days are over.. CoinStar finds are the only thing close to a circulation find for me..

In the early 60's I worked at a sports arena, found a barber dime in the cash drawer. About 5-6 years ago at a Dominos pizza shop, found a barber dime in cash drawer. Only two barbers ever seen in circulation.

Circulation finds are sparse these days since my my cash carrying days are over.. CoinStar finds are the only thing close to a circulation find for me..

How do you check the coins in a coinstar machine? I thought you can only put coins in.

Many times you can find coins in the reject/ return on the coinstars.

Yeah but that's like the equivalent of finding left over change in the self checkout at walmart or a vending machine. They may leave like two coins behind.

Does the coinstar machines reject silver?

My teenage son has worked the drive-thru at Taco Bell since last September. He’s not a coin collector, but here are his finds since then.

As far as my finds go, from 2009-2014, from circulating coin rolls, I found close to 2,000 silver coins from over $125,000 in coin searched.

Attachments

• EF1CE995-E6A2-454C-B4B0-844622DBF0D6.jpeg
    EF1CE995-E6A2-454C-B4B0-844622DBF0D6.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 140
The best thing recently was a 1973S proof Jefferson nickel. Like mentioned above, don't see much change anymore with credit and debit card use..

A friend of mine gave me an 1894 Indian cent he got in circulation. The best thing I ever found was a 1925 (S mint, I think; it's been a while since I've pulled it out) mercury dime in XF condition, but discolored brown, a lot like some clad rosies I've seen.

-- Tom

I got home the other day from Hunting and found a 1934 wheat in my finds
that was Pristine. I didn't even know I found it until I got home as I never looked since I dug no pennies over 1" that day.. therefore it had to be a recent drop and still in circulation.

Got this V nickel in my change at the local convenience store a while back.

Attachments

• CAM00079-1.jpg
    CAM00079-1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 121
Got a good 37 buffalo just a few weeks ago in change at the local super market. Lifted my spirits for days!

Last non-circulation coin I got in circulation was a dateless Buffalo nickel. At the same store, one of the employees showed me an 1897? V nickel someone used to pay for something. No doubt some druggie looting their parents coin collection.

Our Local Numismatic Club participated in something cool this April...What we did was to go around town and spend over the counter, or toss on the parking lot, put in the 'take a penny' tray, all sorts of out of circulation coins...Buffs, V's, wheaties, IHP's, etc...To foster an awareness of cool old coins to the Gen Pop..create a new group of Numismatists and an appreciation of history possibly.....That was the concept and I did my part...There was about 30 of us old coin collector B's participating...

I dont think any of us gave up any Silvers like the BF's Or Walkers or Standers or Barbers or Mercs...I didnt anyway....I scattered out a 100 of water found green Wheats and crappy old Buffs, a whole sack of foreign coins from the totters etc..I just tossed them down in the parking lot for an easy eyefind to anybody paying attention....I thought WTH?, I guess I could salt a beach with them, or just do this...I'm out less than $10 total to be a contributor to this effort..

I am ashamed to say not even a war nickle left my greedy little paws though, I have too much respect for silver and just couldnt bring myself to do it!! So it was fun and had a noble purpose...Plus, I've still got plenty of Chucky Cheese tokens and pulltabs to salt the beach with later!.....:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom