QUESTION/POLL - Fake Finds?

Terry Soloman

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
What do you believe is the correct ratio of pictures of actual dug finds posted in online forums -vs- "jewelry store," or faked finds?

A) 99-percent of all posts are actual finds
B) 80-percent of all posts are actual finds
C) 60- percent of all posts are actual finds
D) 50- percent of all posts are actual finds

What is the main motivation for sharing real finds?

What is the main motivation for faking finds?

I am asking these questions because of personal experiences in gold prospecting, where people actually posted pictures of nuggets I had sold in the past, as nuggets they "found" in the desert, or even Alaska. This appears to have happened just recently with a gold nugget sold as a California specimen, when it may have come from Australia. Seems to me, the same shennannigans could be happening on this end of the hobby - hence my questions. Looking forward to your opinions!

I would like to believe 100 percent are real dug finds but I dont live in a perfect world.
My motive for sharing my finds is to give other inspiration to get out there and detect. I know when I see others finds it makes me want to detect.
Many of us spend countless hours without digging anything of real value then one day WAMMO! You dig a fat gold ring or other valuable item and it sort of makes up for all those hours spent digging tabs and pennies.
I think the motivation for some fakes is to fit in with old veterans that have mastered the art and work hard at it.
In this hobby everyone wants to be part of the gang but it is tough when you cant seem to find anything.
It takes years of detecting to master metal detecting and there is just no easy way or perfect machine to get you there.

I would like to believe 100 percent are real dug finds but I dont live in a perfect world.
My motive for sharing my finds is to give other inspiration to get out there and detect. I know when I see others finds it makes me want to detect.
Many of us spend countless hours without digging anything of real value then one day WAMMO! You dig a fat gold ring or other valuable item and it sort of makes up for all those hours spent digging tabs and pennies.
I think the motivation for some fakes is to fit in with old veterans that have mastered the art and work hard at it.
In this hobby everyone wants to be part of the gang but it is tough when you cant seem to find anything.
It takes years of detecting to master metal detecting and there is just no easy way or perfect machine to get you there.

Great response - Thank you!

What do you believe is the correct ratio of pictures of actual dug finds posted in online forums -vs- "jewelry store," or faked finds?

A) Having found just about anything imaginable myself I have no reason to doubt the finds of anyone else.

What is the main motivation for sharing real finds?

To share the thrill of a find and encouragement. I know when I see a find it brings back the feeling of when I found something like it, and inspires me to get out and hunt.

What is the main motivation for faking finds?

No idea.

The percentages of real to fake finds would be a hard one for me to put a number on. As IntoIt said, I would love to believe that all are real, but I don't think that is the case either.

Why would someone post real finds:
To share the excitment of what they found
Pride that their efforts paid off
Encouragement to others
Popularity (to some extent)
For educational reasons (for both others and themselves)

Why would someone post fake finds:
To fit in
To be popular
Competition (I posted a bigger, better find than so-and-so)

While there are some finds that I have doubted in the past, I still enjoy looking at the pics of the relics, coins, jewelry, etc.

Doug

Thanks!

These are all really good responses and I appreciate them! I feel pretty much like this as well, that 99-percent of these posts are the real McCoy! What bothers me is that small percentage that DO post fake finds, and it is not always who you would expect! Keep your opinions coming, and thanks again for taking part in the discussion!

A) Having found just about anything imaginable myself I have no reason to doubt the finds of anyone else.

To share the thrill of a find and encouragement. I know when I see a find it brings back the feeling of when I found something like it, and inspires me to get out and hunt.

No idea.

DITTO! Although I have met plenty of folks in this world who I distrust and who have to work to earn my trust, I do generally trust folks here in this hobby and forum - as long as they aren't trying to sell me anything. I don't trust ANYONE who comes to me cold to sell me something, even if its something I need/want. That trust has to be earned for sure!

I'm going to go with 99% because there have been a small few that come on here and post a pic with a very vague description and then never post in that thread again.

I believe that the majority of folks on here, especially the regular posters, are completely honest about their finds.

As for the rest of your questions, my answers are pretty much the same as the others.

Yep some have websites that sell books about how to detect and they show all these unbelievable finds. And you ask them questions about them like where did you find them how deep? And are all those real diamonds? But they never respond. It seems some that have websites to try and sell things dont really tell the truth... i think they are just trying to make money to sell there books...

There was a post on here a while back about a guy who had taken a photo of a large gold nugget from an Alaska web site and posted it as his own find......he got busted really quick!!

Dusty

That is a hard question to answer I have seen posts on here that are fakes but those people posting them usually post and then never post again. If the person post a pic that is unbelievable and someone brings up the possibility of it being fake and they defend them selves with information on how they found it then most likely they aren't lying. And in the rare occasion I see a find that I know is a fake I just dont bother commenting on their post it's not worth my time....

I have burst the bubble for at least half a dozen fake posters. Usually these people don't know much so they might get away with it once or twice, but if they keep posting they get nailed. Why they do it... I would guess just for some attention that their actual finds never bring. Do I feel guilty having exposed some very regular posters on some sites... a little. But that's overruled by the fact if you want to play the game of posting fake finds getting burnt is the risk you take. Do I hold a grudge, or really care? Nope! These people are usually one of two types... the guy with very few posts to get his kicks trying to fool people, and the regular members who obviously have some kind of issue that runs deeper than metal detecting.

Yep some have websites that sell books about how to detect and they show all these unbelievable finds. And you ask them questions about them like where did you find them how deep? And are all those real diamonds? But they never respond. It seems some that have websites to try and sell things dont really tell the truth... i think they are just trying to make money to sell there books...

Great point! Financial gain, pure fraud. Didn't even think of that. Great responses everyone! Loving the conversation so far!

Posting fakes would just be way too shallow lol

I mean even i have some 90% silver but i don't get what kind of self satisfaction id get from faking it.

Though i have wondered about a few people here posting fakes.

One with all the silver dollars all barely tarnished in particular lol.

I have a morgan and peace dollar now and even have pics but i don't get what would be the point of saying i found it. So then everyone will think i found it when i bought it doesn't seem cool to me just stupid.

And unless lying about it makes it worth more i don't get what it matters where it came from if its being sold its worth its weight.

I'll go with 99.9% real, and motivation to fake could be an attempt to sell, or gain popularity.

It can't be to feel accomplished because that would make NO sense lol :lol:
I don't see how it would make someone feel good about themselves either.

Some people just want to fit in or whatever or have a competitive nature.

Posting fake finds on the forum is as bad as a star athlete taking steroids in a game. Well to me at least.

I've seen some bull crap posts before. One guy posted a 'coin' spill that was down 6 inches. He had like a v nickel, newer wheat, buffalo, indian head and some other silver coin. He said it was a pocket spill yet the nickels were shiny....and looked almost new. Hmmm - everyone called him out on it and I don't think he posted much else after lying his butt off.

Anyone that digs nickels at 6 inches that are THAT old knows for a fact regardless of soil they're not going to have mint state patina. That's dog dookie.

Overall I'd trust 98.293% of finds posted. There are some out to make a buck and just promote himself. It gets old and I don't bother posting in their threads.

Others I like to question because sometimes things don't add up. All I want is a simple answer. When a poster starts getting real defensive when I pose a question, that is further evidence that the 'find' in question may be bull after all.

My 2 zincolns anyways.

Posting fakes would just be way too shallow lol

I mean even i have some 90% silver but i don't get what kind of self satisfaction id get from faking it.

Though i have wondered about a few people here posting fakes.

One with all the silver dollars all barely tarnished in particular lol.

I have a morgan and peace dollar now and even have pics but i don't get what would be the point of saying i found it. So then everyone will think i found it when i bought it doesn't seem cool to me just stupid.

And unless lying about it makes it worth more i don't get what it matters where it came from if its being sold its worth its weight.

Dig up some silver coinage and tell us how 'tarnished' they are coming out of the ground. About 22 of the 28 silver coins I've dug were shinier and less tarnished than the silver coins I had in my collection that never saw a speck of dirt. I think I know what post you're talking about. You can tell from the pics that the coins had been lying next to each other for years.

Just making an observation. :) Good luck and HH.

Great Topic!

Wow, cool topic.

I'd like to think at least 99% are real. In the beginning, when I first started off detecting... kept thinking, no way, can't be real. As my first few months were tons of silver, but the "real" gold eluded me... so as I looked at the photos of rings and things (the real gold and platinum)... kept saying, can't be... then, I knid of began to "learn the ropes". And thats when I started to score gold and the such (coincidence? maybe, I dunno)... and once that started to happen... I began looking at other's finds in a new light... hmmm, yup, I believe it now, lol.

But when all it seemed I could get was silver, I did have my doubts.... not anymore though. Although, I'm sure "some" photos can be fake.... think most are real.

I don't post a lot of my finds, simply due to time constraints and the such (ok, may be a lit lazy as well, as hooing up the cell phone, downloading, then picking the best shot, etc etc... ha ha). But really enjoy looking at what folks do find... yup, keeps me motivated, especially when I may have had a bad last few hunts.

So, yeah, at first, no way, then once it began happening for me, yup, am a believer, lol.

The times when I do find the time to post a photo, I enjoy it because, hey, worked hard for that ring/necklace etc... and its fun to see what folks have to say etc... somewhat akin to a bit o pride for the find.

I could never understand why anyone would post a fake, what fun is there in that???? Just would not make any sense to me. Heck first little white gold wedding band I found, was so much fun and even though the photo was lousy quality, was fun to post and get the kudos from others. Some day, I'll load a bunch more of my gold and silver finds... really need to make the time to do so. Really enjoy seeing other's finds, and hope folks "keep it real". Lol.

Last, to those of ya'll out there, not yet having scored gold etc... its out there, learn your machine, swing that coil and go for it, hard to describe the fun pulling something 14k or better out of the ground, until you hit it yourself. Here's a tip, dig it and dig it, have I mentioned "dig it?". :D

Some people just want to fit in or whatever or have a competitive nature.

Posting fake finds on the forum is as bad as a star athlete taking steroids in a game. Well to me at least.

I've seen some bull crap posts before. One guy posted a 'coin' spill that was down 6 inches. He had like a v nickel, newer wheat, buffalo, indian head and some other silver coin. He said it was a pocket spill yet the nickels were shiny....and looked almost new. Hmmm - everyone called him out on it and I don't think he posted much else after lying his butt off.

Anyone that digs nickels at 6 inches that are THAT old knows for a fact regardless of soil they're not going to have mint state patina. That's dog dookie.

Overall I'd trust 98.293% of finds posted. There are some out to make a buck and just promote himself. It gets old and I don't bother posting in their threads.

Others I like to question because sometimes things don't add up. All I want is a simple answer. When a poster starts getting real defensive when I pose a question, that is further evidence that the 'find' in question may be bull after all.

My 2 zincolns anyways.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=68941&highlight=coinspill+century
Is this the post? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom