I love auctions!!

Ohiodigger

Elite Member
So my wife had the brilliant idea of hitting some auctions this weekend, so I grabbed the local paper and we browsed the classifieds and found a few....one was last night(Friday). They just happened to have some coins.....and here is what I got....1968 mint set, a 1984 proof set(I really wanted that one it is my wifes birth year), I got a 1893 Indian Head penny in incredible condition, Paid $1.50 for it, a 1888 and 1887 Seated Liberty dimes, paid $5 for both of them, a 1853-O Seated Liberty dime, paid $4 for it, turns out its worth a lot more than that, and the steal of the night, a 1858 Flying Eagle penny, I paid $5 for it as well!! And on top of all that I got a 64 Rosie in change at lunch yesterday too!!

Attachments

• received_1660639567310106.jpg
    received_1660639567310106.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 533
  • received_1660642060643190.jpg
    received_1660642060643190.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 476
If I researched correctly, that 1853-O Seated Liberty dime would be worth at least $19, even if it's in miserable condition, and you got it for four bucks! :wow:

If I researched correctly, that 1853-O Seated Liberty dime would be worth at least $19, even if it's in miserable condition, and you got it for four bucks! :wow:

Pretty much!! in my 2016 red book G-4 puts it at $25 and F-12 puts it at $50.....Im no pro but I would put it somewhere in the middle.....

Dude you don't even need a Detector silver just shows up for you! lol excellent purchases and congrats on the nice additions!

So my wife had the brilliant idea of hitting some auctions this weekend, so I grabbed the local paper and we browsed the classifieds and found a few....one was last night(Friday). They just happened to have some coins.....and here is what I got....1968 mint set, a 1984 proof set(I really wanted that one it is my wifes birth year), I got a 1893 Indian Head penny in incredible condition, Paid $1.50 for it, a 1888 and 1887 Seated Liberty dimes, paid $5 for both of them, a 1853-O Seated Liberty dime, paid $4 for it, turns out its worth a lot more than that, and the steal of the night, a 1858 Flying Eagle penny, I paid $5 for it as well!! And on top of all that I got a 64 Rosie in change at lunch yesterday too!!

Wow, those are great deals! The flying eagle, alone will make you $25, paying for the rest of it. :)

Pretty much!! in my 2016 red book G-4 puts it at $25 and F-12 puts it at $50.....Im no pro but I would put it somewhere in the middle.....

So i got the blue one. What is the difference? Very nice finds. I found a peace dollar at a auction and that was it so far

You should love those auctions. You wound up with some great deals.:D Could have detected for years and not come away with those coins. But it reminds me of the guy who buys fish at the market instead of fishing for them. You didn't get all dirty and sweaty to get them and missed out on all the fun.:lol: Much faster way to add to your collection. You did good.:yes:

Wow, those are great deals! The flying eagle, alone will make you $25, paying for the rest of it. :)

Thanks!!
...unless he sells it at a crappy local auction like the one he bought them at. :(

I dont plan on selling any coins like that....trying to teach my kids whats good so when Im gone they dont sell them at an auction and get ripped off LOL

So i got the blue one. What is the difference? Very nice finds. I found a peace dollar at a auction and that was it so far

Im not 100% sure but I was told Blue book is what you should buy coins at and Red book is what they should sell at.

You should love those auctions. You wound up with some great deals.:D Could have detected for years and not come away with those coins. But it reminds me of the guy who buys fish at the market instead of fishing for them. You didn't get all dirty and sweaty to get them and missed out on all the fun.:lol: Much faster way to add to your collection. You did good.:yes:

Oh I try, I only found 5 silvers last year, not matter how hard I try I cant seem to get my coil over any silver. I blame my father, he hunted my area hard in the late 70s and all through 80s, I remember as a kid he had coffee cans full of silvers he found detecting....every time I tell him about my new permissions or where I hunted he ALWAYS tells me I already hunted that, or things like, thats where I pulled that Barber half when you was a kid....:mad: So I blame him for my lack of silvers found detecting :lol:

Basically speaking....the Bluebook contains WHOLESALE price quotes and the Redbook contains RETAIL price quotes. Though these books are a good source of information they aren't used very much by dealers and collectors nowadays. Many dealers price their merchandise based on prices quoted in a weekly publication called the "Greysheet".
BTW.....you did well in your auction finds.

Back
Top Bottom