Should I count this one toward my silver coin totals

Toasted

Elite Member
I hunted the park today where I pulled around 30 modern silvers last summer and fall. Slim pickings at this point but did manage some clad and a 56 GW that I somehow missed in the past. This site has probably produced more silver coins than wheaties. Very strange but the strangeness continued today with the wafer thin silver? disc with a reeded edge. Weight is close to a dime. Possibly run over by a train. I need to test it I guess to know for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0643.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 232
Yeah that is a silver coin and to help you out more it is either a barber or later seated after 1860 I can see enough to ID the denticles and bottom of a wreath that would normally say on dime.

I agree with Delcojohn. The inside edge beading is clearly visible in the bottom right of the picture as well. Definitely barber or seated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that is a silver coin and to help you out more it is either a barber or later seated after 1860 I can see enough to ID the denticles and bottom of a wreath that would normally say on dime.

You must have some really good eyes :laughing: I can't make out anything off that. Definitely counts ! Congrats!

I would agree, definite yes on adding to the silver count, but have to say no on the run over by a train. Being run over by something heavy like that with steel wheels, the coin would be more elongated. Yours is still round.

You must have some really good eyes :laughing: I can't make out anything off that. Definitely counts ! Congrats!

At the 4 o'clock position you see denticles along the wire rim and at the 5 o'clock position you see the bottom of what used to be a wreath. The denticles of a dime size silver coin were prior to the mercury dime so it at least has to be a barber dime or better and seated before 1860 had a different wreath on the back which wouldn't have come down that far on the coin unless it was the wreath of a newer seated or barber dime. If I had to pick I'd go with barber though because even in the mauled condition its in the wreath and denticles have even wear pattern while a seated although older tends to have a weaker strike on the reverse than a barber reverse does. Not trying to act like a know-it-all just trying to tell this person this counts as a silver coin because by treasury laws it is more than 60 percent complete. Also trying to give an ID for the coin found from what I can see . I'm going with barber but I only have one side of the coin to look at. Hope that this at least gives the finder of this coin my confidence what he/she has.

Back
Top Bottom