Some new 22 cal LR ammo I have been playing with

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
Folks know my forum name,,,I do like to shoot.
My shooting has taken a back seat to detecting.
Last few days I've been shooting a bit.
I have come across some 22 ammo I never have seen until yesterday.
I bought a few bricks of it.
It cost $5 for 50 rounds.

It is called Gemtech. My Anschutz model1710 shoots this stuff lights out.
I have shot quite a few different brands ammo through this gun in the last 10 years since I purchased it. This Gemtech,,for the loot,,,turns this Anschutz rifle into a monster.

Folks may be interested in this ammo since it is not overly pricey.
Even cheap ammo is expensive now moreso. Some of the cheaper stuff,,a person can shoot around corners with,,not my cup of tea.

Btw,,after I shot this stuff this morning,,I went back an bought a whole case(5000 rounds) of the ammo,,,I was that impressed with it.

I don't work for any ammo companies either.
Just passing this along.
Not a great deal of info on Internet about it.
The company that sells it,,started out it seems making silencers.

CCI company it seems is behind this ammo it seems,,,based on the box it came in.

It is subsonic rated at 1020 fps,,with a 42 grain round nose lead.
The lube that is present on the bullets,,a lot like SK and wolf rim fire ammo.
Btw,,using this Gemtech in my Anschutz,,it puts wolf match target and wolf match extra to shame in this particular gun.

Folks might want to give it a try.
Cheers.

Interesting , you sound like a pro , ,,,, ,HH

Not a pro,,,but do have considerable experience.

I know what a good shooting sporting 22lr rifle looks like as far as groups on a target at 50 yards.

When $5 a box for 50 rounds of 22 LR ammo,,,when you can see consistent 5 shot groups at 50 yards coming in at .400" ctc or less and mind you I'm using a scope set on 6x,,,this is super performance IMO.

If I used a higher mag scope,,,groups likely to tighten some.

Last edited:
I'll have to look for some to try. I can't stand the cheap stuff that every 5th ones a dud.
Seems like even the name brands now days ain't what they used to be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'll have to look for some to try. I can't stand the cheap stuff that every 5th ones a dud.
Seems like even the name brands now days ain't what they used to be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I shot 40 rounds of this stuff,,,no flyers at all.
Tight shooting. No Duds.

Have seen another person who said they got really good results shooting this stuff out of a cz455,,, this gun btw no slouch in accuracy dept,,,if the ammo is worthy.
I shot one of these models about a year ago,,,nice accurate gun,,but not accurate with bs ammo. I shot wolf match target through it so the actual owner could see what the gun was capable of.
At 52 yards,,he couldn't beliece his eyes,,he was monitoring target with spotting scope while I shot his gun.

My Anschutz shoots the Gemtech better than wolf match,wolf match extra,,federal gold box-- that $12 a box stuff,,and SK match.
All these cost more than Gemtech.

Glad I discovered.

Thanks TNSS, I will have to try this. I too am an avid shooter and I too have backed off shooting to detect. I believe subsonic 22 ammo is always the most accurate.

In general, availability and prices of .22LR ammo is getting better. This time last year you'd have been lucky to find any at all on a store shelf around here, but now it's everywhere.

Recently I bought a couple of bricks of CCI Standard Velocity, and have been surprised at how well it shoots. It's only 1070fps, and I agree with remmy that the transition from supersonic to subsonic disrupts the bullet too much and adversely effects accuracy particularly at longer ranges, which is one reason that I believe the CCI Std. Vel. shoots as well as it does.

My favorite ammo is still quite pricey and tough to come by. I put a 1:10 twist barrel on one of my 10/22's and shoot Aguila 60gr SSS, which is a hammer on small game out to 100yds+.

Every firearm shoots better with different loads. You just have to find the right one. I traded a friend out of a Remington model 513 target rifle. He didn't like it and said he couldn't hit anything with it. He just didn't know how to properly adjust the sights on it. It was a heavy rifle and I used it for several years before I let it get away from me. I wish i still had it. I could shoot it better than a friend who had a scope on his. Ten rounds through the same hole.

Every firearm shoots better with different loads. You just have to find the right one. I traded a friend out of a Remington model 513 target rifle. He didn't like it and said he couldn't hit anything with it. He just didn't know how to properly adjust the sights on it. It was a heavy rifle and I used it for several years before I let it get away from me. I wish i still had it. I could shoot it better than a friend who had a scope on his. Ten rounds through the same hole.
I still have my 513T. Bought it nearly 40yrs ago, and I'll never sell it.

Here's a pic,,,Gemtech on bottom,,wolf match target on top.
Gemtech is a smidge longer bullet wise I think,,the extra 2 grains weight may contribute.

Sounds like a nice round, i always used to shoot cci stingers and was impressed by them. Funny you mention every rifle seems to like certain ammo, i found that to be very true also.

The bullet of the Gemtech appears to be shaped better, and also possibly a smidgen longer. If it is longer, it could be engaging the rifling upon being chambered, which may contribute to its accuracy. Seems like I remember that target CF rifle chambers are bored a little bit tighter than sporter models for accuracy, so maybe this is a factor.

Glad to read that you found an accurate load for your rifle. I'll look for Gemtech and maybe get some. I usually try to only buy CCI for dependability. Federal copper plated was my standard back in the late 70's and early '80's when I really hunted and shot a lot. It was very accurate in my Remington bolt-action tube magazine "bunny-buster". Had a 4X Bushnell Sportview on it and that combo was accurate! Alas, I had to sell due to financial hardship, and it never has been replaced. Maybe this year...:waiting:

In general, availability and prices of .22LR ammo is getting better. This time last year you'd have been lucky to find any at all on a store shelf around here, but now it's everywhere.

Recently I bought a couple of bricks of CCI Standard Velocity, and have been surprised at how well it shoots. It's only 1070fps, and I agree with remmy that the transition from supersonic to subsonic disrupts the bullet too much and adversely effects accuracy particularly at longer ranges, which is one reason that I believe the CCI Std. Vel. shoots as well as it does.

My favorite ammo is still quite pricey and tough to come by. I put a 1:10 twist barrel on one of my 10/22's and shoot Aguila 60gr SSS, which is a hammer on small game out to 100yds+.

I was lucky enough to pick up a 1973 model 9422 Winchester a couple years ago and CCI Standard Velocity shoots like a dream out of it. Very impressive accuracy and quiet enough to shoot in my rural backyard without the neighbors having to constantly hear crack, crack, crack!

I think my Gamo pellet gun is louder than the winnie with that ammo.

Just for comparison's sake, here's a pic of a CCI Standard Velocity 40gr and an Aguila SSS 60gr.

CCI SV 40gr _ Aguila SSS 60gr.jpg

The bullet of the Gemtech appears to be shaped better, and also possibly a smidgen longer. If it is longer, it could be engaging the rifling upon being chambered, which may contribute to its accuracy. Seems like I remember that target CF rifle chambers are bored a little bit tighter than sporter models for accuracy, so maybe this is a factor.

Glad to read that you found an accurate load for your rifle. I'll look for Gemtech and maybe get some. I usually try to only buy CCI for dependability. Federal copper plated was my standard back in the late 70's and early '80's when I really hunted and shot a lot. It was very accurate in my Remington bolt-action tube magazine "bunny-buster". Had a 4X Bushnell Sportview on it and that combo was accurate! Alas, I had to sell due to financial hardship, and it never has been replaced. Maybe this year...:waiting:

My Anschutz 1710 has a match chamber or very close,,,meaning there is no 22lr round that won't touch the lands inside barrel.

But for whatever reason this Gemtech just shoots better than all of the other stuff I've tried in this particular gun.

My barrel twist rate is 1 in 16.5" btw.

This Gemtech ammo,,,very clean burning.
Cleanest I have ever used.
Lot cleaner than wolf,, cci standard velocity and others.

Here's a pic of the box a case of the ammo comes in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom