Survival knife for digging.

mnshutterbug

Although not a member, I've been reading a lot of posts re: digging tools on that forum and many hunters use what just appear to be survival knives for digging. I have a sturdy Japanese made survival knife with a 9" blade and am wondering if this would suffice for digging plugs. It's the knife at the top of this photo.
knives_zps70het9xc.jpg

Honestly, if you're out in the woods or on your own property then go for it, not sure how well it'll work. Wouldn't be carrying that around tot lots or ball fields unless you are wanting to attract unwanted attention, then again it may be the answer in some shady parks. The hori hori looks alot like a knife but is a gardening tool. Alot easier to explain that to the police then an 10 inch survival knife. Just my opinion.

I had my fill of tot lots and local parks a few years ago so this time around I'll be hitting remote areas or county parks. I'll just consider it added protection against the nuts I could encounter. :shock:

It would work fine for cutting plugs but wouldn't work to well for removing dirt from the hole. I use a Hori-Hori knife. They don't cost a lot (About $15 on Amazon) and they are curved for removing dirt.

It would work fine for cutting plugs but wouldn't work to well for removing dirt from the hole.

That's what I was thinking. I could just bring a small scoop for that purpose. Or, if it detects something 3" deep, I could cut the plug 4" deep and not have to remove dirt because the treasure should still be in the plug.

You must not like that knife too much. I don't think the edge and point will hold up after hitting a rocks and gravel. Diggers are cheap enough.

As my Dad always said, "Right tool for the right job".

I do like the knife but it isn't used for anything else so may as well dig with it. Besides, a straight blade like this is quite easy to sharpen.

I do like the knife but it isn't used for anything else so may as well dig with it. Besides, a straight blade like this is quite easy to sharpen.

That looks like 20 stitches just waiting to happen, a good digger is not very much $$ and will save you a ton of time finding targets.
Check out the White's dig master, best one Iv'e used and only cost about $35

Back
Top Bottom