• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Pinpointer choices

Sheepdog

Thanks to ScubaDetector and his contest I'm in the market for a new pinpointer for my boys. We already have a Garrett carrot and have no problems with it except the battery life with rechargeable 9v's is not that great. I've been researching other pinpointers to see what they have to offer. I'm not sure if I should stick with what we know or to try a different one to see if it offers anything better. I like that the TRX pinpoints only in front of the tip and would be a little more precise. It and the Makcro can use aa batteries or 9v. If you were to buy one today, which one and why? If you've had issues with one, what were they? Thanks for any help.

I have a TRX and love it. I originally set out to buy the Nokta, but my local dealer had a great price on the TRX. I'm glad I got it.

It's not just the tip that's sensitive, but also near the base, with a sensitivity gap between the two. It helps a lot when it turns out the target is in the sidewall, or if you've dug too deep. Many think it's not a good feature, but I love that it works that way.

Also, the TRX goes a little deeper then the Garrett from what I've seen.

I have a TRX and love it. I originally set out to buy the Nokta, but my local dealer had a great price on the TRX. I'm glad I got it.

It's not just the tip that's sensitive, but also near the base, with a sensitivity gap between the two. It helps a lot when it turns out the target is in the sidewall, or if you've dug too deep. Many think it's not a good feature, but I love that it works that way.

+1 on what Kirk said.

I too have started using a TRX, and I like it very much. My old Garrett Pro-Pointer (original), which has never given me a problem, now rides around in my truck console, as back-up, just in case. I think you would be happy with the TRX....

Thanks Kirks and Reef Runner. I'm leaning towards the TRX for the reasons you said. I was worried that it might not be as durable as the carrot has been. These are a six and nine year old boys handling them. Some YouTube reviews almost seem like a commercial for the product. It's good to get some opinions from unbiased users.

I've drop mine on concrete, pointer side down, and I've also (intentionally) submerged it in saltwater. No problems. I'd say they're very durable.

Hey Sheepdog, maybe you should put the TRX on your belt, and let the guys train with the "carrot" :D

Good luck with your new pointer, whatever it may be.....

You may, or may not be interested in this : http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=238424

Thanks for the link. I'm actually thinking of giving them the carrot since they are familiar with it and can side scan the holes easier. Plus it's bright orange and will be easier to find when they leave it laying on the ground. I like the fact that you can replace the body on the trx also.

Have you tried it on both 9v and aa batteries? I'm just curious if there is any performance differences.

Have you tried it on both 9v and aa batteries? I'm just curious if there is any performance differences.

Have tried both, just out of curiosity, but am now using 9v, because I had them for the Garrett. I didn't go through the full cycle on the AA's (rechargeable), but I did try them. Seemed perfectly okay to me...

Maybe someone else out there, has done a comparison?

Well I decided on the TRX. Nothing against the Garret, but how do you know what you like unless you try them both. The added depth and the narrower pinpoint field are the main differences I see between them. Being able to use two battery sources for the TRX is also a plus, but if you are properly prepared you should have backup batteries anyways. The carrot has been very durable and I hope the TRX holds up just as well. I will try both battery sources for the TRX and post back if I can find any discernable differences.

I have the TRX and love it. No
more digging super deep wholes only to find the target in the side of the whole. Love knowing that the target is off the tip and not off the side of the shaft of the pin pointer. Have had and still have the carrot but now it is a back up.

I have the TRX and love it. No
more digging super deep wholes only to find the target in the side of the whole. Love knowing that the target is off the tip and not off the side of the shaft of the pin pointer. Have had and still have the carrot but now it is a back up.

Exactly. This is where the gap in the sensitivity shines on the TRX.

I've only used the Garrett's for the past few years and have had good luck with them. I do have XP's new MI-6 on the way to me. I'll post my thoughts on it after I've had a chance to try it for a while.

I just got the Garrett Pin Pointer II

I would highly recommend it. It has saved me a lot of time and supposedly battery life is very good. Also priced reasonably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've only used the Garrett's for the past few years and have had good luck with them. I do have XP's new MI-6 on the way to me. I'll post my thoughts on it after I've had a chance to try it for a while.

I was checking the MI-6 out also. It had lots of custom options, but i felt it would work better if you owned a dues. Which I don't. That and for the price I didn't want to be a "guinea pig ". Maybe in the future if it works well and I find a nice ring to pay for it. I hope it works well for you. Any idea on when they are shipping?

Have tried both, just out of curiosity, but am now using 9v, because I had them for the Garrett. I didn't go through the full cycle on the AA's (rechargeable), but I did try them. Seemed perfectly okay to me...

Maybe someone else out there, has done a comparison?

WRONG WRONG WRONG ! I checked while I was out today, and indeed, I am using a set if AA's in my TRX, and gosh, they have been in there for a while. No concrete data to give you, but yes, being able to use AA's is indeed, a great option....:yes:

I was checking the MI-6 out also. It had lots of custom options, but i felt it would work better if you owned a dues. Which I don't. That and for the price I didn't want to be a "guinea pig ". Maybe in the future if it works well and I find a nice ring to pay for it. I hope it works well for you. Any idea on when they are shipping?

I believe that are shipping right now.

My choice

Have 4 pointers, Garrett Pro, Garrett Carrot, Pistol Probe, and TRX, favorite is the Carrot, how ever the TRX is close behind, really a coin toss, happy hunting, Earl

Back
Top Bottom