Is this a meteorite??

IDXMonster

Elite Member
I went on a short hunt after work tonight with my Explorer2 and this hit at 00-31,when can generally be iron wrap around on the Explorers. My common “run of the mill” refrigerator magnets will definitely show SOME attraction,but it is light. My wife said so also,so it’s not as though I’m willing it to be attractive. As the pic shows,it has pock marks which way down in there it is rusty! Me being me,and having nothing else to go on,I cracked it in half and was quite taken aback at what I see. These reflective inclusions appear to be what are described as Calcium Aluminum inclusions,found in...certain meteorites.
I can’t see evidence of a definitive BLACK fusion crust but the object,whatever it is,is certainly dark in color,but not black.
If it is NOT,in your opinion,a meteorite....what is it? While the Explorer did indeed signal on it,when I got it inside and retested it,the object actually double beeps as it passes over the Sunray x-8 coil,which is another curiosity to ponder.
This happened when it was still in one piece.
If you are to kindly give your assessment,please tell me the reasons for your opinion...and TIA! I also forgot to mention that yes,it is heavier than a normal rock of this size,and I know what a rock this size normally weighs in general...
I will add....the spots you see that appear white in the picture actually look like shiny metal,almost like solder droplets look when dropped on the floor. Very metallic looking...
Kevin

Attachments

• 59EDA840-A225-4ECF-B5F0-EB12A29F3E42.jpg
    59EDA840-A225-4ECF-B5F0-EB12A29F3E42.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:
Heavy for size..rust pockets..no crust or sign of superheating.. slightly magnetic..I'm clueless on the inclusions....I'm guessing iron ore...

After doing the research via the posted informational website.. I really have questions too..heck..send the guy a 20 gram chunk and get it tested..

Back
Top Bottom