What is this bullet shaped thing?

Yergaderga

This is vexing. I had put this on the military forums, but I emailed an author and expert on Civil War shells and it is not one of those, so I'm stumped. Its 5.5 inches long, the main part being about 3.5 inches, and the threaded rod about 2 inches (duh, math). It seems like solid iron. The threaded rod seems to go all the way through it. It's about 4 pounds according to a household scale. Really weird. I found it on a property that is rumored to have been a Confederate campsite when they were in Pennsylvania, which is why I thought shell. It's been a residential area since before the Civil War (I think before 1800 actually) so I can't imagine why it would be any kind of ordinance. Maybe a weight. Dunno. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Andy

Attachments

• 20180822_144138.jpg
    20180822_144138.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 568
  • Screenshot_20180822-183601_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180822-183601_Gallery.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 524
Totally off subject, but I just noticed we have the same granite countertops. All that time staring at those pics and I just now saw that. LOL

Great taste, by the way. LOL

Could be. It's very heavy but they used to make things pretty sturdy.

I’m not good at identifying things like the other guys on here but it looks like it could have screwed into hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally off subject, but I just noticed we have the same granite countertops. All that time staring at those pics and I just now saw that. LOL

Great taste, by the way. LOL

Thanks :) I'm a big fan. My parents actually chose that pattern but I think it looks nice, and it has some feature to prevent the spread of bacteria or something cool like that.

Reminds me of a propeller nut..

But it wouldn't be steel among other things that make that not the answer..

<°)))>{

Thanks for all of your help friends! I think you're getting pretty close to identifying this thing. I'm meeting with the property owners tomorrow and I'm planning to bring this with me to see if they might know.

I'm thinking not furniture leg ...but maybe leg off a heavy object like a wood stove..it's solid and strong..looks like the bottom has a round " button" on it like a leg base might...and the flattened sides work nice to tighten with a wrench...

I'm thinking not furniture leg ...but maybe leg off a heavy object like a wood stove..it's solid and strong..looks like the bottom has a round " button" on it like a leg base might...and the flattened sides work nice to tighten with a wrench...

That really seems like it could be the case. I'll have to keep searching.

It looks like the doohickey that is used to hold steel plates while the auto-cutting torch cuts. It's a 12'x 8 table that floods with water and something real similar to your thing holds the steel up and hopefully they were placed right so they wouldn't get cut. The fuse looking thing at the top would be a softer metal, so you wouldn't scratch your steel. The one I used years ago had slots and peg holes to hold them in place. It was a pretty cool machine that would cut any pattern you wanted.

It looks like the doohickey that is used to hold steel plates while the auto-cutting torch cuts. It's a 12'x 8 table that floods with water and something real similar to your thing holds the steel up and hopefully they were placed right so they wouldn't get cut. The fuse looking thing at the top would be a softer metal, so you wouldn't scratch your steel. The one I used years ago had slots and peg holes to hold them in place. It was a pretty cool machine that would cut any pattern you wanted.

Do you know what I should enter into a search to find what you're talking about? I looked up auto cutting torches and I didn't find any images of anything that is run under water or anything like that.
Thanks for your help!

Andy

Do you know what I should enter into a search to find what you're talking about? I looked up auto cutting torches and I didn't find any images of anything that is run under water or anything like that.
Thanks for your help!

Andy

If it is what he said, look for hydro-cutting table or water jet cutting.

Back
Top Bottom