• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Equinox 6" coil... Awesome!

Rattlehead

Forum Supporter
I like to get out in the open fields and dig the easy obvious signals just as much as the next guy, but I also enjoy the challenge of sifting through thick iron & trash trying to pick out every last detectable good target. From what I've seen the 6" coil on the Equinox is perfect for this task!

Finally got some swing time on this combo at an early 1900s Mill House that I had hunted several times in the past. Picked out a couple of buffalo nickels, an IHP, some sterling and a few other doo-dads. Nothing spectacular, but I was very impressed with the small coil. The thing gets in between junk targets like a laser beam! Other benefits are that it makes the detector balance really well and makes pinpointing extremely easy. A great investment IMHO (thanks again mtcooley).

Here's a couple of pics and a video of the hunt for those who care to watch. There's some live digs which show the sights and sounds of targets in the second half of the video.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,057
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 976
A tool for every job, and that tool is excellent for what it needs to do. I wonder if Minelab is considering a mid size coil similar to the ATP. I'd buy the first one out the door.

BCD

Congrats on all the recoveries! Enjoyed the video too! With that 6"er, I been finding silver especially dimes like every 3rd-4th hunt. I just found another dime today which I have not cleaned up yet. It's a killer on dimes.

Last edited:
Congrats on all the recoveries! Enjoyed the video too! With that 6"er, I been finding silver especially dimes like every 3rd-4th hunt. I just found another dimes today which I have not cleaned up yet. It's a killer on dimes.

Thanks JAK! I was kind of bummed that I didn’t get on any silver coins at this place but I’m looking forward to trying it out on some other spots. Hope it finds a few masked dimes for me that missed before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice video.
Love the little butterfly.
I love the 6”coil on Nox.
Feels real good on Nox too.
Thanks for sharing.

I really didn't enjoyed that vid!
In my little first impression review I believe I touched on all these things you also found.
In my case I think it will work way better than the bigger coils because masking is my biggest enemy.
It should open up all my old sites as it seemed to do for you.

I really didn't enjoyed that vid!
In my little first impression review I believe I touched on all these things you also found.
In my case I think it will work way better than the bigger coils because masking is my biggest enemy.
It should open up all my old sites as it seemed to do for you.

You didn't enjoyed it? Uhmm thanks.. I think? :laughing::lol:

Yeah man I think this small coil is going to live on my Nox full time. Its great for trashy sites and I have the 3030 for everything else. Plus, swinging the detector with the little coil feels almost like swinging a stick! Love it!

You didn't enjoyed it? Uhmm thanks.. I think? :laughing::lol:

Yeah man I think this small coil is going to live on my Nox full time. Its great for trashy sites and I have the 3030 for everything else. Plus, swinging the detector with the little coil feels almost like swinging a stick! Love it!

Lol!
I DID enjoy it, really!
Auto correct is my worst enema.
I need to check the text before I hit that post button more often. :research:

I also have no plans to take off that coil for a very long time but using snipers 98% of the time is normal for me in the trashy, iron infested areas I tend to hunt.
A huge weight and balance difference between this one and the standard coil.
On the F70 different size coils felt different but not all that much, on this thing coil weight really matters.
I bet that 15" coil will really feel weird when it comes out but not my problem, I have the two coils I need and the one that I needed the most is that sniper.

Lol!
I DID enjoy it, really!
Auto correct is my worst enema.
I need to check the text before I hit that post button more often. :research:

I also have no plans to take off that coil for a very long time but using snipers 98% of the time is normal for me in the trashy, iron infested areas I tend to hunt.
A huge weight and balance difference between this one and the standard coil.
On the F70 different size coils felt different but not all that much, on this thing coil weight really matters.
I bet that 15" coil will really feel weird when it comes out but not my problem, I have the two coils I need and the one that I needed the most is that sniper.

lol. Auto-correct has slaughtered a few of my posts in the past as well.

I'll probably pass on the 15" coil too. Most of the sites I detect are hard packed GA clay and the old stuff doesn't seem to sink very deep. Well within reach of the 11" coil. My biggest enemy is masking.

I REALLY want one of those coils, but I'm having a hard time finding any place that has one in stock!

I have the 6" coil now, and it does perform. However, I would like it more if it were a 6x8" SEF.

Great job! I really like the pic showing everything that you dug: very indicative of real hunt results, at least mine anyway. I am hearing/reading a lot of good reports on that 6" coil. A small coil like that on the end of a detector that sees everything has got to be a win-win combination.:yes:

Total agreement! That li'l six shooter really pokes the coins in pulltab country. I've switched my coils back and forth a few times now. The 6" has found three silver dimes so far, and lots of other goodies...in trashy park pavilion/grill areas. There are a lot of old parks out there, that have been well polluted before they've been detected. This is where the Equinox shines in general, but especially so with the sniper coil. I am very pleased with both coils. Some day I may have enough reason to get the 15" too, but for now, I'm good!

Don't forget to use the 6" in the woods as well.

It gets in between sticks and roots, and closer to rock walls and tree trunks.

Such a versatile tool, not just for parks.

Absolutely! Looking forward to trying it on some of my wooded sites as soon as some of the brush and bugs die off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom