9/11 - Where were you?

At home

Had just flown in the night before from Miami. Was going to stay another night but decided to get home instead, my friend from work got stuck there for a few days.

It killed the job we had, lucky for me it was my last assignment before starting at a new job the 17th of Sep.

I was pulling up to the job site when we heard on the radio a plane hit the World Trade Center. The homeowner had the tv on and said an airliner had hit the WTC. We thought it was an accident and went to work.Then the second plane hit. We watched the first tower come down and couldn't work anymore. The ride home was the worst we were working 35 miles from NYC we live 14miles from NYC all the way down the highway we watched the smoke.

We had recenly moved and I was at home with our 2 year old, watching the new for some reason (not a habbit of mine). They were talking about the first plane and debating over whether it was an accident when the second plane hit. I had to sit down for awhile.

I was delivering beer that morning to grocery stores, came out of the first one and they were talking about how one of the towers had gotten hit on the radio, within a couple of minutes the second one got hit and just like everyone else my jaw dropped to the ground. I was taking my time driving to the next delivery cause I wanted to know what was going on when the pentagon got hit and I said out loud holy (insert four letter word here), we're at war.

Couple of hours latter I meet up with a coworker that was in the reserves, he said that it was probably Bin Laden behind it. He was going on about how he wasn't sure where his uniform was and this and that, but he knew that he was going to be called up. Last I heard he was standing guard on some rock used as a fueling station for navy ships, don't know whatever happened to him after that.

That day we had a few trucks get stopped by police and different security agencies. One guy was trying to deliver to an Army/Airforce base and the kind gentlemen at the gates told him turn around with guns drawn. The guys trying to deliver to the airport didn't have much luck either.

I was drinking coffee watching the local news when Katie Couric and Matt Lauer on the Today show broke in and started broad casting live video. I called my wife who was on her way to her work and told her to turn on her car radio. I watched the second tower get hit and both buildings fall. I was working at a Computer store at that time and the owner told us to take a few days off and watch the news. I remember visiting with neighbors who were staying home as well. Horrible day.

I watched it from home, due to working a night job. That night co-workers were saying there are people alive in the basement. I was the only one telling them nothing is left of the basement, 110 floors just came down, their all dead. The only weapons of mass destruction, were our own lack of security measures!

me ... i was in the red sand desert of wyoming,trying to bring in a gas well. forman shut us down around 11am told use what was going on and sent us home for the day...........

We where in Chico Ca. Had taken a few days vacation and had driven to Chico to look around. That morning we went to eat breakfast and it was playing on TV. We aborted the vacation and returned home that morning.... totally stunned.

waking up to my 20th bday...which obviously didn't go so well

I was on night shift. Slept till around 1:00 Eastern. Came down to the kitchen where my wife told my what was going on. Sat stunned in front of the TV. CT

I just stopped in the firehouse and poured me a cup.

The on duty shift commander called me into dispatch where they were watching the first tower burning. They asked me if the outline of the fire in the building looked like a plane had struck it? I gave it a quick look and said thats what I would say.

Just then the second plane hit, I said to the group......terrorism guys.

I also said both those towers were coming down, turned and went to kitchen and set down my coffee cup.

Jumped in my truck, drove to party store and bought a Texas 5th. Store owner is a good friend and asked Mike whats going on and I told her my opinion, paid for my goods and came home.

Unhooked the phone, turned off cell phone, closed the curtains and kicked on the tv.

I didnt want to talk to anybody about it.

I knew firefighters/police and many many innocent civilians were going to die that day.
I didnt cry but was wondering what was going to be attacked next and how many more folks were going to die on that horrible day.

God rest there souls.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom