Copper culture club

deeper

First, I have to say that I love this hobby! You never really know what you will find and that’s what makes metal detecting such an intriguing and satisfying pastime. Yesterday, while doing my typical coin shooting I came across a 33-35 signal on my nox. Of course this usually means larger silver so I carefully dug. Out popped this elongated piece of copper. Upon further inspection i realized I was holding a relic that was probably over two thousand years old. Holy sh*t!!!

This is probably a spear or lance head and was found on Milwaukee County parkland near a river. Below is an interesting article stating that native Americans started using copper arrow heads as long as 9000 years ago in Wisconsin and upper Michigan but returned to stone projectiles eventually.

https://www.science.org/content/art...ericans-were-among-world-s-first-coppersmiths

Attachments

• AB690C64-6A69-4690-9626-0EEFAFD1259D.jpeg
    AB690C64-6A69-4690-9626-0EEFAFD1259D.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 564
  • 7DAAB45D-2AFF-41C7-8216-5B64B1249520.jpeg
    7DAAB45D-2AFF-41C7-8216-5B64B1249520.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 573
Boy oh boy….ALL of you guys over there are scaring those things up! That’s a BEAUTY there Jim! Trapper found one fairly recently up north, Air Force Mike found one basically by accident…what next??:lol: Great to see you’re still after it this year, I am as well. Stay warm!

Huge congratulations on a find of a lifetime. I was lucky enough to stumble across one about a month ago and I’m still in disbelief every time I look at it. That is one heck of a dig for sure and welcome to the club!

Congrats on the spear point, a very special find!

Thanks!

Welcome to the club.

I imagine being from the UP you have seen a number of these. Thanks for the welcome.

Same here. Very impressive weapon/artifact!

Thanks!

Dang, been a few of those showing up fairly recently here, way to go! Unfathomably cool!

It’s weird that something so incredibly old could be found somewhat often. I guess it’s because the date range for copper projectiles runs for thousands of years.

Boy oh boy….ALL of you guys over there are scaring those things up! That’s a BEAUTY there Jim! Trapper found one fairly recently up north, Air Force Mike found one basically by accident…what next??:lol: Great to see you’re still after it this year, I am as well. Stay warm!

Thanks Kevin,
I’ll be digging until the frost won’t let me. You just have to layer it up. I wouldn’t be surprised if you find one of these eventually. The natives that made these were predominantly concentrated in Michigan and Wisconsin although they ventured far beyond. I have been finding a handful of float copper as well lately.

Totally righteous save there!

Thanks!

Beautiful! American Digger had an article regarding those points with the author finding them along side streams and rivers. Youre in a great place for finding more!

Like everyone before me has said you have made an amazing find. Congratulations on a true find of a lifetime.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom