One of You Has My Class Ring...

BufordCityDawg

Elite Member
By 'you' I mean detectorist, not necessarily someone on the board. Back up almost 30 years. A young man just graduated from high school was enjoying his last Summer before college playing at the local lake beach. His class ring falls off of his finger and into the water.

Flash forward 30 years. I took my detector to that same beach to see if maybe the ring is still there. I kind knew going in that I was going to find one of two situations. 1) Ding, ding, ding, ding... targets everywhere or silence broken up by garbage sounds and deep odd signals. If I got the first, I had a chance. I got the second. I still messed around and tried to dig a few of the very deep signals, but they were so deep that I couldn't even get down to them to where my pinpointer would go off.

Either way some detectorist somewhere found my ring and it is either melt or sitting in a ring collection. If not it has been covered up by so much new sand as to be beyond my reach. For those of you on the real beach, this is a lake beach with a hard red clay bottom covered by sand.

If any of you ever hunted the beach in Hiawassee and found my ring, let me know. :laughing:

BCD

I don't have it. I have never found a class ring. My eldest son eyeball found one over 40 years ago. Never could find the owner.

Wait! Wait! (sound of someone rummaging through an ancient box) Uhhhh... here it is... It's... a little bit crumpled... the inscription is really hard to see... wait til I get my magnifier.... Here.... (strong light).... yeah.... it says... G... A... P?... no that's an R.... C - I.... A... "Garcia... there's just a single letter in the center.... Y? Weird. Oh, let me smooth this out a bit so I can read the rest.... there's a V... E....? There's a bunch of crusted sand on this thing... I'm afraid I'll damage.... it's coming off now...

Here is what I have... the band is lie really REALLY super thin... no stone... it says...
GARCIA Y VE##
##ne Panatellas

That's all I can get. Doesn't seem to have a class year... and what it was wrapped around was just disgusting!

SageGrouse

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em

Wait! Wait! (sound of someone rummaging through an ancient box) Uhhhh... here it is... It's... a little bit crumpled... the inscription is really hard to see... wait til I get my magnifier.... Here.... (strong light).... yeah.... it says... G... A... P?... no that's an R.... C - I.... A... "Garcia... there's just a single letter in the center.... Y? Weird. Oh, let me smooth this out a bit so I can read the rest.... there's a V... E....? There's a bunch of crusted sand on this thing... I'm afraid I'll damage.... it's coming off now...

Here is what I have... the band is lie really REALLY super thin... no stone... it says...
GARCIA Y VE##
##ne Panatellas

That's all I can get. Doesn't seem to have a class year... and what it was wrapped around was just disgusting!

SageGrouse

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em

OP; least you got out to look for it, maybe keep at it for a bit, can't hurt!

Sage, great to see you see you posting again ma'am!

LOL. I know some Detectorist found my uncles too.. He lost it either in a Toledo Ohio park or a Detroit park or beach. He forgot where. He lost it about 2 months after he got it sometime in the 50's if I remember correctly. His name is on it too. LOL

Back
Top Bottom