War of 1812 hat insignia pin!!

tater

Elite Member
Found this in my scrap bucket. There was troop movements in my area.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-18-19-23-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-18-19-23-25.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 903
I also sent pictures to an expert that confirmed it. This will be in books. It has been cut out with shears and very rare.

Awesome find! Congrats! Just an hour from me was a cannon battery from the War of 1812. Marker reads, " In 1812, former Georgia governor George Matthews led the unsanctioned “Patriot” invasion of Spanish Florida from Point Peter. On January 13, 1815, during the War of 1812, a British force overwhelmed 116 U.S. regulars here, destroying the fort and barracks. After the U.S. acquired Florida in 1819, the post was abandoned.

Why was it in your scrap bucket? Also if it is really that historic you should consider giving it to the museum that covers that war.

Why was it in your scrap bucket? Also if it is really that historic you should consider giving it to the museum that covers that war.

It was in my scrap bucket because I didn't know what it was and I recycle. I recycle brass and donate the iron to my local club. As far as donating it, my local historical society has so much stuff they can't put it all out on display. They have stuff that hasn't seen the light of day in years. Good idea though.

Nice find, tater! And even cooler that you were able to realize what it was before being recycled. Saved from the scrap bucket!! :yes: I have an old copper lightning rod I keep debating about pulling from my copper junk bucket....

Back
Top Bottom