Vive Le France?!

steveg

Elite Member
Hi all!

Today I headed out to hunt a farm in Norman, OK for a couple of hours; it's a site I got permission to hunt a few years ago and have hunted before, but always around the yard of the 1950 farmhouse (where I managed a Merc, a Rosie, and a few Wheaties). Today, however, after hunting the yard and finding just a lone wheatie (1947-D), I ventured out away from the house, and headed in the direction of some outbuildings/stables on the east side of the property. After digging several junk targets, I came upon a SCREAMING high tone, that I almost thought was a buried can (or some other piece of odd junk that inevitably turns up when hunting old farms). Fortunately, I decided to dig, and since the target seemed shallow, I popped only about a 6" deep plug of dense clay. With the Pro-Pointer assuring me that the target was in the plug, I cracked it open. Here is what I saw:

main.php

BIG silver! And I mean BIG! At this point, I'm thinking it MUST be a Peace Dollar; the site is too "young" to hold a Morgan, as far as I know; while I'm thinking these thoughts I removed the coin from the plug...

main.php

I didn't want to rub the dirt, so I got out my water bottle and began rinsing...and then, saw some letters that I should NOT have been seeing...O - U - I...I'm thinking WHAT??? My next thought was, SPANISH silver of some sort? So I rinsed the coin completely, and here it was...

main.php

main.php

FRENCH!!! What? The obverse is obviously in decent shape, but the reverse is quite worn. I could barely make out a year (looked like 1851), but any more identification would have to wait until I got home.

Once home, I looked more closely at the coin; Google led me to en.numista.com (http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces10198.html) -- where I found out that it's a 5 franc coin, minted in 1831 -- with the "A" mint mark revealing that it was minted in Paris. It's about a millimeter smaller than a silver dollar, and about one gram less in weight; just under an ounce -- and .900 silver. Needless to say, I have NO IDEA how a French coin minted in Paris in 1831 found its way into the red clay of rural Norman, Oklahoma -- but it did! And then, lucky for me, it found its way into my pouch!! This one definitely goes down as the most surprising, unusual coin find I've made thus far; this is my first BIG silver (I have several halves, but nothing silver-dollar sized), and so it was definitely eye-popping for me. And a French coin minted in 1831 in the middle of Oklahoma? Mind blowing!

Here are the pics, with the wheatie I found for size reference:

main.php

main.php

Thanks for looking!!

Steve

Congrats on the hunt! Louis Phillippe had a very interesting life if you like history. He was in New Hampshire for a while at one point, and Russia I think too. I think he died broke as well. HH.

WOW!! That is a great find! One of those..."Wonder how it got there"...situations?!?

Thanks, all! This is only the third time I've made a find that I felt was possibly worthy of posting on this forum! They don't come along too often, but, that's what makes them special!

TECTONATOR -- any of those are possibilities, though most of the French explorers I am aware of were earlier, and farther south in this state -- coming up the Mississippi from New Orleans, and then up the Red River. Definitely there was French activity here, but most was earlier and farther south. There were also several trading posts in the area in the 1800s, this one about 3 miles south...

b911b40d-b6c5-4404-97e7-b5893ad4eb32.JPG

While this one was run by a guy named Dave Blue, one just to the south of this one by about 10 miles was owned by the famous Chouteau family. Note also the mention of the Arbuckle Cattle trail? A branch of that trail, from some maps I've seen, ran close to the property I was hunting. Definitely a mystery, and as SeabeeRon and pawaide alluded to -- the finds that "make you think, 'I wonder how it got there'" are the really fun ones!

silverchef -- you bring up another legitimate possibility. I have dug coins in the past that I KNOW were brought back from the wars by American soldiers (for instance, two years ago back home in PA I dug a Belgian "centimes" coin and a Nazi "Reichspfennig" coin, in the same hole, both with a hole in them so as to be worn on a necklace). It's certainly possible that the farm was owned by a World War I or II vet that brought the coin back from Europe as a souvenir, and then lost it...

yank -- I do enjoy history, but don't know anything about Louis Philippe...sounds like someone I need to do some reading about, so I shall! Thanks for the heads-up!

Thank you all for the kind words!

Steve

louis philippe

I reply from France : Louis philippe was the last king in France. He lived in Philadelphia usa and visit north east usa. Sorry I don't speak very well. I think you can find full of other coins like this. In the same aera.
If you want more informations, contact me.

I reply from France : Louis philippe was the last king in France. He lived in Philadelphia usa and visit north east usa. Sorry I don't speak very well. I think you can find full of other coins like this. In the same aera.
If you want more informations, contact me.

Thanks for your reply from France! And welcome to the forum!

I read a little on the history of Louis Philippe I, and found it very interesting. As yank mentioned in his post, and you confirmed, Louis Philippe lived for awhile in the U.S. -- spending time in Philadelphia and Boston, and traveling as far south as Nashville, Tennessee and as far north as Maine. He also apparently met several early U.S. political leaders in the late 1700s time frame.

As far as finding more coins like this -- I'd love to, but I don't expect there are many others here in central Oklahoma!

Steve

Congratulations and thank you for a well crafted post. with four feet of snow already outside my door and more falling as I write this, it was nice to get your find blow by blow as it happened. Almost like being there! Awesome find!

Good day to find French coins

Hopefully its OK to post this here. I though it was cool that my son Ryan found a 50 Francs (1953) today here in south GA. I suppose maybe a solder brought it back from the war then lost it in the church yard. Very interesting thread.

Attachments

• photo-5.JPG
    photo-5.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 745
Thanks, all, for the kind words!

Danny T -- I'm glad my write-up allowed you to "live vicariously" at a time when digging for you is not possible! Growing up in western PA, I remember how long the winters could be!

Duckhunter -- no doubt that the "how did this get here" thought that comes with so many of the finds we make is a fascinating part of this hobby. I have thought so many times "if only this find could talk, the stories it would have to tell..."

Redfishtony -- of COURSE it's OK to post that find here! It's cool that your son found his own "franc" coin just a day after I found mine! Thanks for sharing!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom