• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Dumb PP question

steve d

Do you keep your pointer in the "on" position while hunting or do you turn it on only when you want to dig? I've been clicking it on only when I need it, but started wondering if that would shorten the life of the switch if I continued doing it. Started thinking that batteries are much cheaper than clicking on and off all the time.

Steve

The Hubby leaves his on through the whole hunt, but I only turn mine on when I'm actually using it. We go through batteries about the same, so I don't think leaving it on wears the batteries out, and maybe the constant turning it on and off may wear out my button first. We'll have to wait and see. Good luck with your digs. : )

I turn mine off.
I carry a Bomb from Buzz, and it would be going off 24/7 if I left it on as it sits next to my Lesche.

Turn that thing off for your own sanity!!!

If I wanted to be driven insane, I would leave my PP on. If the button does wear out, the $130.00 to replace it (worst case scenario) will be far cheaper than the co-pays for the psychiatrist visits resulting from continual buzzing and vibration... :laughing:

IMHO, it has an on/off button so I think it is OK to use it. GL & HH!

i leave mine on. i haven't changed a battery yet and it's been months. i assume they go into some sort of 'standby' mode when not actually beeping.

My pistolprobe has been on for a couple years straight.Only time it gets juice is when i hold the button into locate.I never turn the inner switch to full on.

Sun Ray DX

If I leave this puppy on, it will let you know, what is great it uses the detectors battery and programs.

My pistolprobe has been on for a couple years straight.Only time it gets juice is when i hold the button into locate.I never turn the inner switch to full on.

You can't genuinely state that the Pistol has been "on" for two years. It is off until you push the button. To say you left your pistol on for two years straight would mean that you had the inner switch turned to constant on position.

Back to the topic though...my Pro Pointer is "off and back on" tons during a hunt. I never leave it running in the on position when not doing an actual dig, and even then...I turn it off and on many times if the hole gets deeper. It's good IMO to clear the electronics out since the PP is continiously balancing when on.

mine is off until i'm actually using it to locate a target. resting in a pocket in my finds pouch (which always has metal in it, lol), it would be beeping non-stop.
i also do the desensitizing thing with it as well, so when i first go to locate a target with it, i want it to have full strength, meaning turning it on away from any metal items.

The Hubby leaves his on through the whole hunt, but I only turn mine on when I'm actually using it. We go through batteries about the same, so I don't think leaving it on wears the batteries out, and maybe the constant turning it on and off may wear out my button first. We'll have to wait and see. Good luck with your digs. : )

I am curious to see the results here.

I was told by a fellow MDer that he talked to someone at Garrett who confirmed that the Garrett PP will in fact have falsing issues if left on for too long. I have noticed this myself if I leave it on for too long. I think with the Garrett it's important that you turn it off when not in use.

When I used my Garret PP, I turned it off when not in use, since it would be in close proximity to my finds. I had to send it in for a new switch, eventually, which seems to be a common problem with them. The Sunray solved all those problems. I just have to remember to switch it from probe to coil when I'm done PPing. Plus, you can't lose a Sunray.

I turn it on before I dig the plug, otherwise it would be making constant noise next to my digger or mounted on my detector.:D

Back
Top Bottom