Sampson 31" Serrated T Handle

JamieNH

I purchased the Sampson 31" Serrated T Handle from New England Detectors and was pleasantly surprised when I noticed that both sides of the shovel were serrated. I wasn't sure if this was normal so I called in and they told me they upgraded my shovel to the double serrated variety. I'm not sure if this is the case for every order but I was impressed enough to post about it. Can't wait to get this thing in the woods I remember last year how hard it was to get through the undergrowth this thing should make it a lot easier.

Attachments

• IMG_5850.JPG
    IMG_5850.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,664
  • IMG_5851.JPG
    IMG_5851.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,206
Shouldn't they ask first? What if someone prefers serrations on only one side?

Its awesome don't get me wrong, but to me its like ordering a hamburger and them giving you a double cheeseburger. What if your counting calories?

Yeah I see your point I don't know maybe that's the way they're making all of them now. I think it will work better being serrated on both sides but if for some reason if it doesn't I won't hesitate to contact them.

I've been debating on getting one of these. The woods where I relic has a lot of roots and that Sampson would make digging a lot easier.

I bought one a couple of months ago and finally got to use it this week..it helped me pull these out of a old frieghters road.

Attachments

• JPEG.jpg
    JPEG.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 987
i love my 31" sampson for woods and field huntin, mine didn't come with the double so i serrated mine myself

Attachments

• P9220296.jpg
    P9220296.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,034
I got the Samson T Lesche.
Love it but I wish both sides were serrated like yours.

Does it work better since you modified it? It looks good by the way you did a good job.

works great but i really have nothing to compare it to since i serrated mine as soon as i got it, never had a chance ta use it with only one serration :lol:

I have the Raven, and it is also serrated on both sides...it is the best shovel I have yet to own...goes right through stubborn roots, quick fast and in a hurry. If you relic hunt, this family of shovels is as important as the detector you swing.

LittleJohn

I've got one coming in the next week or so from NED! Here's to hoping they are throwing these upgrades out all the time!

Looks like a real beast!

Yeah I hope they do that for you too. I think they will cuz when I asked about it they said we usually charge a lot more for that but a lot of people have been asking for it to be serrated on both sides.

It's the perfect size for me too, the handle and my hand meet perfectly. Last year I had to give up on an old site cuz the roots and undergrowth were so tough and every signal was so deep. I plan on spending a lot of time in the woods this year.

31 t serrated

Mine are just serrated on one side,this might be a new model,i have only used the serrated edge a few times to cut roots,double serration could be over kill but i havn't tried it,i guess it is the case of were your hunting,how much your cutting roots,i know that i like my one side serrated 31s,and on my turf 2 side's is not needed,Happy hunting Earl

Attachments

• 20110613_1.JPG
    20110613_1.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 899
I have a shovel from predator tools. It looks simular. I have the long handle version with a T on the handle, It is the model 58 dixie. I have a normal length version as well. Mine do not teeth on them. I think the teeth are more for appearance than actual cutting. See iy you can cut a 2 inch stick in half. The teeth need to be designed to cut. Just having some notches cut into the blade doesn't make it cut very good. I can sharpen my smooth edge shovel and make it cut better than a shovel with notches can. If all your teeth line up, the only tooth that can get a bite is the first one. The rest of the teeth aren't doing much cutting.

I just ordered mine got it yesterday and it was not serated. I will try mine before I decide to try and serade it.

I have a shovel from predator tools. It looks simular. I have the long handle version with a T on the handle, It is the model 58 dixie. I have a normal length version as well. Mine do not teeth on them. I think the teeth are more for appearance than actual cutting. See iy you can cut a 2 inch stick in half. The teeth need to be designed to cut. Just having some notches cut into the blade doesn't make it cut very good. I can sharpen my smooth edge shovel and make it cut better than a shovel with notches can. If all your teeth line up, the only tooth that can get a bite is the first one. The rest of the teeth aren't doing much cutting.

Yeah I don't know I'm not planing on using it to cut or saw through any massive roots, if i run into a really thick root I'd have to pull out my folding saw or dig around it. In the woods here I run into a lot of pesky small roots or undergrowth in a lot of places. One plunge into the ground hopefully gets right through them but yeah no serrations might work just as well I'm not sure. I just want to be able to get out and actually try it.

Back
Top Bottom