Pistol Probe Push Button Stubborn!

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
Just got a new Pistol Probe and have found the push button extremely hard to press for activation. In fact. only the thumb will kick it off and I literally have to put a dent in my thumb to do it. Forget about using an index finger. Is this normal? martin

Pistol Probe button

its new it will get better,they are nice,i have one, and the garrett,but for handling, i lean more to the garrett,depth more to the pistol probe,but sometimes the pi pulse, interfears with my etrac,never the less,give it some time,happy hunting ,Earl

Pistol probe

I really like the Pistol Probe but anything heavier than thin gloves make the button impossible to push! That's a Pain when its cold outside! Why they put a tiny button onto a pointer you could almost fit a home light switch onto doesn't make a lot of sense to me,,,LOL.... GL & HH......Pat

Is it just mine?, or is the speaker volume almost useless? Even on Hi vol, a big wind blows and makes the Pistol impossible to hear on anything except for a surface coin. It IS impossible to hear if I had HPs on both ears!, even without the wind.

Is it just mine? martin

I started using a Pistol Probe late last December. I hunted in really cold, difficult weather. The only digit that I had trouble with was the thumb that turned on the Pistol Probe - between the button and the cold, I split the callous on that thumb and it took weeks for it to heal.

So yeah, the button is pretty darn stiff. It is designed to be stuffed into a holster without it turning on.

Volume... I have less than good hearing. If I am wearing my detecting cans, I cannot hear the pistol probe. If I am wearing a light weight pair of phones that are not designed to block out ambient noise, I can hear the probe, but it doesn't take a lot of background noise to make it hard to hear.

Right now I am considering getting a set of Rattler headphones so I can hear the probe while keeping one ear sealed in on the detector. I am also considering Howard Leight R-01526 earmuffs but they worry me because I don't know of anyone using them while metal detecting. The Rattlers seem like a surer bet - but I do shoot occassionally, so I am sitting on the fence while the snow piles up.

volume is a problem

The volume could be louder, and the switch could be a lot better than it is. Most of the time I use the Pro Pointer.

Thanks for the replies. You've saved me the cost and embarrassment from sending mine in for repair. Maybe it is personal opinion difference, but I read one review on the Pistol Probe's sound that the volume was "embarrassingly loud" on his Pistol and I about fell out of my chair. I am not a nut afterall...the Pistol Probe really IS a whisper tone. WOnder why the manufacturer doesn't improve it? martin

Back
Top Bottom