What's the deepest you've found a coin?

pryan67

Forum Supporter
How deep have you dug for a coin? Not including places where fill has been obviously placed, but how deep have you seen a coin sink "on its own" in just plain soil?

How deep have you dug for a coin? Not including places where fill has been obviously placed, but how deep have you seen a coin sink "on its own" in just plain soil?

I had a "measured" (not conjectured) 2c piece @ nearly 10" in a turfed park. A 2c piece is copper, and about the size of a quarter. And this was with "cherry picking" mentality going on. Ie.: not a "dig all above iron" mindset". So .... that's pretty deep, while retaining a cherry-pick mentality.

Then one time, on the beach, wet-inter-tidal zone packed sand, I dug an 11" deep merc. dime. That was using an excalibur with 8" horse-shoe coil ! And I made-note of the fact that ....... although it was just a whisper/warble, yet I could "call" that it was conductive (not iron). Yet not enough to know low vs mid vs high conductor. I dug it out with my bare hands slowly. In the hard-packed wet sand. And .... when it was finally showing the rim from the edge, then dropped in a measurement. So there could be no mistaking the depth. And since wet-sand it a uniform surface (no fluffy grass to skew the depth), it came in at a measured 11". Pretty good for an 8" coil !

12-14" Barber half, uneven surface on a heavily hunted practice football field, coin at acute angle. stock CTX in damp rich loamy soil. good strong signal- I knew it was a coin (thought prob a silver qtr) before I dug it. easily my deepest dirt coin and I consider it a fluke.

14"+ regularly with 17" CTX coil in wet sand at Atlantic beaches. beyond about 14", it gets hard to say the true depth due to sand collapsing in the hole- it could always be a poor pinpoint in that situation.

In the small section of yard in front of my porch I had spent hours digging any beep, after a few days of rain I needed a detecting fix and hit it again. I found a 1970 Quarter that was deeper than the trx by a couple of inches. I chased it all the way down the hole so I don't think it was a case of it falling back in the hole. I'm sure it was at least a foot deep. Same day, same area I found a silver merc dime about 8 inches down standing on edge. I think it was the wet soil and the extremely cleaned area that gave me that much depth. Most of the coins I find with the ATPro are less than 6 inches.

I've dug a lots dimes and pennies around the 6 to 7 inch depth. Using the inch marks on my pinpointer, I recently measured 8 inches on a dime. I once hit a dime in wet sand that was a solid foot deep.

on the beach 10 inches with garrett ace 150 +nel coil. i can scoot along a beach thats hunted to death by local bods and because iv the nel combo im digging good targets 10 inch down every few yards which [probably] narks locals

.... 14"+ regularly with 17" CTX coil in wet sand at Atlantic beaches. ....

Although I'm not a CTX user, yet I got to play around with one, using that giant coil. And you're right: Coins at well over a foot are an easy air test for the CTX + monster coil. However, it comes with all the inherent drawbacks of larger coils: Eg.: warbly performance, fishy pinpointing, masking, etc... But for wide open beaches, yes, will get every-bit-of-that depth.

Another similar performer with monster coils, is a Sov/Wot combo. I watched a guy , on the wet salt beach, who had the after-market ID meter with sov/wot combo, do the following stunt : He gets a signal (that I couldn't even hear with my Excal +10"). He calls it: " Zinc penny at 14" ". And ... sure enough, at 14", he pulls a zinc penny ! Not only getting that deep, but correctly calling it at the same time !

Although I'm not a CTX user, yet I got to play around with one, using that giant coil. And you're right: Coins at well over a foot are an easy air test for the CTX + monster coil. However, it comes with all the inherent drawbacks of larger coils: Eg.: warbly performance, fishy pinpointing, masking, etc... But for wide open beaches, yes, will get every-bit-of-that depth......

Never put much stock in those air tests, myself. Only use it occasionally to see (or to remind my ears) what something sounds like.

Other than the beach, the only time I use the 17" coil is for areal coverage. Done that a couple of times when I was looking to find a recently lost item. The last one was a piece of my racing drone that got tossed quite a distance in a hard crash.

The deepest for me is 180 feet, but it was at the bottom of a Florida sinkhole and water, not dirt. LOL

In parks the deepest I've found is probably about 12-13'. Most of the time the old coins are about 7-10' though.

At the beach earlier this year, I picked up a silver florin (about the size of a half dollar) at about 15-16'. That thing was deep and I needed a pick to dig it out :laughing: Would've taken a while with a scoop.

I found a Barber half at 10.5 inches and a silver Washington also at 10.5 inches. My deepest dig however was a Levis button at 14"

The deepest I’ve dug a coin from soil that I feel reasonably certain hasn’t had any fill added is 8”. Dug a War Nickel (see pic below) at 8, a Merc at 7.5-8” and a Wheat spill near 8” all at the same site. One other location gave me a pair of Wheat pennies close to 8”. In my area, the older “silver era” coins are in the 4-6” range on the vast majority of sites where I know there hasn’t been fill added.

Attachments

• 25032502-93ED-48E0-9D34-D4021EA727B1.jpg
    25032502-93ED-48E0-9D34-D4021EA727B1.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 318
I wish my lesche or shovel or pin-pointer had measurements. Too lazy to carry around a ruler but I'm interested in this to compare. For type of detector, soil condition, depth, metal alloy.

I wonder under what conditions how deep my model detectors can get coins.

i nabbed a seated half dollar at somewhere around 16 inches, was super corroded and had a HUGE halo around it about 4 or 5 inches in diameter in a white clay. Never saw silver come out so pitted. I'm convinced my detector would never see it with out that huge halo around it, as the signal was very light and the vdi very jumpy. I had just pulled a few large cents from that same hole and was still getting a faint signal so I just kept digging. it was a few inches below the large cents, even though I suspect they were all dropped at the same time.

My deepest was a nickle-sized token at about 10", found with the AT Pro and depth measured with my pinpointer. Dated to about 1910.

I won’t blame you for not believing this. I barely do and I was there but it’s true.

When I started I had an Ace 250.

I was hunting the dry sand at the beach and got a solid dime signal. I dug and dug and when I hit 18” I stopped and filled in the hole and moved on. Had to be some kind of anomaly because even I knew an Ace 250 didn’t go that deep.

An hour later I was back and the signal was still there. The shovel I was using is 27” long and when I finally found that dime only about 4 inches of it was outside of the hole.

Even worse the dime was only 4 years old and was that deep.

I won’t blame you for not believing this. I barely do and I was there but it’s true.

When I started I had an Ace 250.

I was hunting the dry sand at the beach and got a solid dime signal. I dug and dug and when I hit 18” I stopped and filled in the hole and moved on. Had to be some kind of anomaly because even I knew an Ace 250 didn’t go that deep.

An hour later I was back and the signal was still there. The shovel I was using is 27” long and when I finally found that dime only about 4 inches of it was outside of the hole.

Even worse the dime was only 4 years old and was that deep.

Did you recheck the hole after pulling out the dime? I'll bet there was a hood from a '69 volkswagen beetle under that dime:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom