Check Off Another Bucket Lister/Relic

KS Plug Popper

20181116_202931.jpg
I got me a bucket lister today. Been wanting to dig a ax head for a long time. Was hunting a wooded area between a old field and a R/R track. Got a high tone near a big old tree, stuck my shovel down and hit something solid at about 8 inches. Backed up a few inches and hit it again backed up a few more and missed it. Ground was soft so pried hard and up it came. Dont know what it was used for, or how long it was in the ground, but someone sure was hard on it. Both sides of the double axe are broken off. Was always hoping for one I could re-handle and use, but i think ill have to pass on this one. Anyway, not too exciting, or glamorous a find, but one item I've been wanting to find for long time, so it was fun! Been hitting a couple new permissions with the wife, but besides a few wheaties, dug a lot of old iron last couple outings.
20181116_195734.jpg

20181116_195759.jpg

That's a great find! I have found a few axe heads but a double bit is on my list. I dig big iron signals with two things in mind, horseshoes and axes!

Congrats!!

NICE big axe head, i would take some time and restore that!
Thats true Z, I might just do it yet. I got the tools, shop and know how. Just depemds on how bored I get this winter, but if I do it ill video, or at least take pictures of the process. I havent cleaned it up yet to see how much good material is left on the sides of the socket, might be to thin after rust is removed to hold up to a new handle. Might mess with it down the road!

Neat find for sure. Always makes one wonder how long something like that has been in the ground.

Neat find for sure. Always makes one wonder how long something like that has been in the ground.
Yeah that's true has it been there 20 years 50 years or hundred years I ain't got no idea. Farm is from the 1800s

That's neat. One of my very first finds was a 100+ Y.O. axe head, found at an old shack a few hundred yards from my house.

Another very nice dig Popper. Looks like that axe head had some cruel life before it was lost but still a neat recovery. Trapper
I agree, man ive owned lots of axes but bever had one that roughwd up. I thought to myself what were they using that for. Lot of stone in that country, maybe hitting rocks, who knows!

It don't have to be glamorous to be an awesome find, and that is an awesome find that is also on my bucket list. Love it. HH

With axe heads, the more the axe has for labeling the more it is worth. Look up a Abe Lincoln or a Black Raven and you will see what I mean. There are lots of others but the more intricate the stamping the higher the axe collectors will pay. And I am talking some very serious money for certain models.

Even though it is pretty trashed it may still be worth some $$$$. Don't take any sandpaper or soak it in any kind of rust remover till you at least try to wash it to see if there is a name of some sort you can make out. I use the electrolysis method on the ones that i clean as it will remove the rust but it will not remove the patina.

Back
Top Bottom