• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Hard to swing in surf, I'd think

cayo

Ran across this in my family history research. I always thought detectors came out of the military and were around a little earlier than this (well, this is 1939, so maybe not).

Attachments

• 1st_metal_detector.jpg
    1st_metal_detector.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 348
Neolithic cave painting of an early detectorist
f1a627f1795cba537b89a8c83dd2f1da.jpg

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Cayo, Thanx for posting. But there's no way to enlarge that. No way to read anything but the headline. Can you post it as a link to the actual article ? Would love to read it.

There were 2 box detectors around well before WWII. And I've seen some oddball contraptions that vaguely resemble our current configuration (rod and coil) that predate WWII as well. Would love to see your article in higher resolution to read the text.

I had a crazy one in the early 70's which was just a needle. I know there was a knob, wasnt marked for ground balance or discrimination but you would turn it until the needle was at the bottom. Then just dig everything that made the needle move. I found tons of civil war stuff back then, too bad I was a stupid kid that threw away so much "rusty junk" that I remember being barrels and swords/bayonets. I just wanted bullets, so I threw everything else away.

Most of the sites we went to were virgin sites you dream of now.

KT it appears that he is only using one rod. It takes two rods to dowse

No George, look at the top of his rod; theres a split in the wood. He just has an extra long...ahem...pointer on his rod. Think split willow stick and their magical properties.

I'm a subscriber to newspapers.com so I don't know if anyone could access this, but here's the link:
https://www.newspapers.com/image/210244042/?terms=Shreveport+Times

Rats. It requires a subscription. With the normal "free subscription" teaser stuff, which is likely to require all sorts of cookies, ads, funny stuff, etc...

Oh well. If there some way (if they don't have rules against?) to screen capture that page, and then just post it as a jpg. pix with enough resolution to read ?

Back
Top Bottom