• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

"Confederate Silver"

Silver_Seeker

Elite Member
Ok, so I just watched the first episode of "The Curse of Civil War Gold." It's a good story and worth pursuing so it got my attentioin.

But I gotta call B.S. on one thing.

When Gary Drayton dug a coin he titled "Confederate Silver" my antenna went up. It has always been my understanding that with the exception of some U.S. silver dollars minted in New Orleans after succession and a small number of double eagles minted in Dahlonega, GA, the Confederacy only minted a few (less than 20) sample coins for apporval and with the fall of New Orleans, production never happened.

So what was this "Confederate silver" they dug up? Could anyone make out what it was? What was the coin they were showing as an example of what it was supposedly?

If you know, I'm all ears.

S_S

I saw the last 10 minutes of it while grabbing a bite to eat after shoveling snow for a couple hours.

In the program INFO, as soon as I saw Marty Lagina's name, I thought, "Oh no, here we go again". The coin they showed with stars etc? Can't say I've ever seen one or even heard of it.

Still, I'd rather watch a show like that than one of those with the hooten' & hollerin' maniacs who do somersaults after every stupid find. I cringed whenever I saw those guys. I don't even know their names, but if the general public saw these episodes, I'm sure the hobby did not come across in a good light. Sheesh !
:my2cents:

Ok, so I just watched the first episode of "The Curse of Civil War Gold." It's a good story and worth pursuing so it got my attentioin.

When Gary Drayton dug a coin he titled "Confederate Silver" my antenna went up. It has always been my understanding that with the exception of some U.S. silver dollars minted in New Orleans after succession and a small number of double eagles minted in Dahlonega, GA, the Confederacy only minted a few (less than 20) sample coins for apporval and with the fall of New Orleans, production never happened.

So what was this "Confederate silver" they dug up? Could anyone make out what it was? What was the coin they were showing as an example of what it was supposedly?

the answer is Yes and No
this sort of explains it

https://www.money.org/blog/ConfederateCoinsMeisky

Appreciate but no, it doesn't answer the question.

The question is what coin did they dig up which they claimed was Confederate since there are not and never were any "Confederate coins?"

I said "sort of" explains it lol

but yes I did not answer the Question What freaking Coin was that.. so in my opinion after what you brought up.. they are not off to a good start...

there was a line in there :

"There is no way to determine if an individual coin was minted by the U.S., Louisiana, or the Confederacy as the same workers used the same die and machines and the coins had the same amount of silver. "

These so called "Reality Shows" are staged and highly scripted. I do not find them to be even close to Reality. The two fools who did the screaming, tree limb breaking and other idiotic stunts cost me the opportunity to detect a one acre lot where according to the land owner confederate troops camped. He saw one show and withdrew the permission. I could not convince him that all folks who metal detect are not idiots.

I really enjoyed parts of Oak Island. This new show is a little stretch. And I think enough people would pass right over the fact they said it was “confederate silver”

I really enjoyed parts of Oak Island. This new show is a little stretch. And I think enough people would pass right over the fact they said it was “confederate silver”
I agree, in fact I honestly don't find the story interesting enough to warrant an entire show. Maybe an episode or mini series.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Is it possible?! That SILVER.. was found all the way up there.. from way down there? COULD it be.. that someone sneaked it in, or COULD it be that it is something entirely different? Is it POSSIBLE that somehow a simple find was blown up to more than all that and a bag of chips?!

Living not far away from Oak Island, we gave up on that TV show soon after it aired when they got a lot of the local history wrong and the folklore bass ackwards.. They could look at a stone and say "Could it be....?!" something more than what it was.. Cringe and groan worthy..

Don't waste your time on anything new they put out on TV.. especially done in that "could it be" format that they so love to drag out.. They could take all the footage from several seasons of Oak Island and condense into something more entertaining.. but someone is convinced that "could it be" is a sound working model for TV audience retention.. not.

How much money did those brothers spend and got.. what out of it?!

The truth about Confederate coinage is that there were Confederate 1 cent pieces that were minted by a private mint in NY for the Confederacy. They were never released due to fear of treason, and some have surfaced, all bearing the date of 1861. The Confederate silver was completely indistinguishable from the regular US coinage from 1861 and was mostly half dollars from the New Orleans mint.

I shut it off as soon as I heard that irritating narrator start posing questions on just about every statement like on Oak Island. A rock---on Oak island---could it be---perhaps-- sorry history channel I switched to Velocity.

Though I agree with the vast majority of the above comments, none co e close to addressing my question let alone answering it.

Let me try this differently....

Did anyone make out what the ".....silver" coin was they dug? NOT what they claimed it was, NOT what it could be - Jimmy Hoffa's cufflink for example -but what it actually was?

Ok so technically there is "Confederate" silver out there.... this is right out of Whitman 2018 Red Book, 962,633 Seated Liberty Half Dollars were minted in New Orleans after Louisiana joined the Confederacy.....technically making them Confederate silver coins....also footnote a the book speaks off is a obverse die crack......any 1861-O half with that die crack is indeed a Confederate Half Dollar...

Attachments

• received_2086239938083398.jpg
    received_2086239938083398.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 517
They never showed a close up of the coin. Given the size and it looked like silver with “stars” I’m guessing they got an early seated dime.

They never showed a close up of the coin. Given the size and it looked like silver with “stars” I’m guessing they got an early seated dime.

found this image.. not sure of the item on the right.. looks nothing like what he has in his hand..

I am calling Bull $%$# on this one

besides I have seen nothing that resembles that pic on the right

Attachments

• cocwg-7.jpg
    cocwg-7.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 745
found this image.. not sure of the item on the right.. looks nothing like what he has in his hand..

I am calling Bull $%$# on this one

besides I have seen nothing that resembles that pic on the right

I think there are only 8 known examples of the coin you have in the photo. I don’t think they dug one in some random field. Yep, going with BS.

SoOregonMD,

Thanks for posting the pics!

The dug coin is clearly not a half dollar. When it came out of the ground I thought it was a Trime based on size and would match the description of having stars, but that was just a guess.

Who knows what the heck that thing on the right is that they claimed was a "Confederate Silver."

I couldn't help but notice there wasn't a close up of the coin for a better ID. We'll see what they claim in the next episode....

It looks like people are pretty much on the same page though.

SoOregonMD,

Thanks for posting the pics!

The dug coin is clearly not a half dollar. When it came out of the ground I thought it was a Trime based on size and would match the description of having stars, but that was just a guess.

Who knows what the heck that thing on the right is that they claimed was a "Confederate Silver."

I couldn't help but notice there wasn't a close up of the coin for a better ID. We'll see what they claim in the next episode....

It looks like people are pretty much on the same page though.

I'm pretty sure it was a Confederate electrical box knockout.

WOW! The confederates were everywhere as I found some of those clear up here in Michigan. Who'd ah thunk it.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom