HF Tumbler ??And rocks used

shen13

Ok just got a HF tumbler...I am using walmart aquarium rocks
says on bag:5lb Colorado Sma (Im guessing its small size rocks)
They did not have the white,,Looked at Hobby Lobby and was a no go
Coins are doing ok..Is anyone else using these rocks?
The coins(some of them) are tinted some are very clean..
Wasnt sure if the rocks played a factor or not?
Using a couple drops of dawn,
I let them tumble at least 5 hours,would the white ones give better results
I can post pic's if needed..these coins were very dirty..nickels came out ok
but some are dull.most were red to begin with..
dimes are the same..
any helpful tips would be appreciated....

I got the 5lb bag, normal size. Didn't even use soap, came out great (1hr 30min) is all I tumbled them for. Drained the water after 45min & added fresh... Got another batch going now. GL

Results On Tumbler

Here is some results on the HF tumbler..
Some came out good..Some not so good...
used small rocks and dawn..
tumbled twice..All were wheat pennys.
1916 oldest one....

Attachments

• DSC02382.JPG
    DSC02382.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 405
  • DSC02385.JPG
    DSC02385.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 389
I don't get too picky about the color of my tumbled clad. I just want the crud cleaned off so they go through the coin counter smoothly.

I just tried steel shot from 6 shotgun shells. It works way better than gravel. It polishes the clad and is much easier to separate than gravel. I'll never go back to gravel now.

Would BB's work good?

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

I used 5 shells size T and 2 sized BB. I think BBs would work just as well and are only a little smaller. The key is getting steel shot, not lead lol.

I am excited to have tried this as it is easier and the coins look awesome!

I just use beach rocks that are 1/2" diameter, or more. The coins come out clean, and the separation is not much of a problem.

I just use regular old sand and a few drops of laundry soap , when done in a few hours just take it out side and rinse thru a plastic sifter and dry. works great for my coins. and i don't separate the diff coins any more and have very little or no copper transfer. [don't know why]

I use crushed gravel, when it becomes rounded I replace it.
The points clean better, look up jewelry cleaner media.

Rinsing the water often prevents dingy looking coins.
Get some bowls and drill holes in one for sifting the coins.

the only thing I do different is a pre-soak. I have a 12 0z plastic bottle and add a splash of vinegar, a shake of salt and hot water. toss in the coins and shake it by hand for 15-30 seconds rinse and toss in the tumbler. speeds up the whole process. My last batch of coins I used no media just hot water and dawn. The coins become the media and I got the same results in the same time as when I used aquarium gravel.

I have had some good luck with a overnight soak in a cup of 100% ammonia prior to tumbling. I like the idea of separating the coins and tumbling only one kind at a time. In a previous post I mentioned that I had placed a bottle inside the tumbler and now do wet tumblings for some really grody clad. Seems to work great after a clear water rinse when finished. Wonder about using the parakeet gravel rather than the bulky acquarium gravel. For some of the smaller junk, like bling, I put some pieces of glass in the tumbler too..helps speed the cleaning.

ATP/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback/CT hand held

Back
Top Bottom