Cleaning idea please

sleepyjim

Elite Member
How should I clean this and not damage it? Not sure what it is made of either...

LOL I am so dumb at times.....

Jim

Attachments

• P1010998.jpg
    P1010998.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 228
if you want to go very gentle: warm water, dish soap, and nylon brush.
if you don't mind losing the patina (which shouldn't be any issue, it's not a coin), then you have more options.

I'd give 3% hydrogen peroxide a shot, or maybe electrolysis.
Vinegar should also work.

i don't know if i'd do anything with it. i find those old dug thimbles to be extremely fragile as there's not a whole lot of metal there to begin with it. i've dug up bent ones and generally they don't survive trying to be straightened. :no:
but i do agree with the peroxide. put a little bit in a shot glass, nuke it for 15 seconds and drop your thimble in there for 20-30 seconds and try giving it a VERY gentle cleaning with a toothbrush.

Pete

i don't know if i'd do anything with it. i find those old dug thimbles to be extremely fragile as there's not a whole lot of metal there to begin with it. i've dug up bent ones and generally they don't survive trying to be straightened. :no:
but i do agree with the peroxide. put a little bit in a shot glass, nuke it for 15 seconds and drop your thimble in there for 20-30 seconds and try giving it a VERY gentle cleaning with a toothbrush.

Pete

Off topic, but might help you a bit with straightening thimbles in the future...

Non-ferrous alloys (incuding silver) are commonly cold worked and in doing so become work hardened. Annealing them will soften it and return the ductile nature of the metal. For most non-ferrous metals, annealing is heating to about 1400*F and quenching in water immediately. A plumbers torch works well for smaller things, bring it to a dull red glow and quench. After working it for a little bit, annealing may be needed again. Practicing on clad coinage works the same. I anneal some quarters and keep them in my pocket, makes for great "stronger than thou" parlor trick when you bend a quarter by hand of with your teeth! Paid for a few beers that way, lol!

Not recommended for anything of value, of course! But if having a nice antique thimble beats out a crushed piece of antique garbage, go right ahead.

-Alex

Back
Top Bottom