Survey markers?

CTCurt

Super Mod
Forum Supporter
Had someone just PM me who looks like he joined the forum to find someone to help locate survey markers on his property. Never had this request before. I guess I'll run the MXT w/no disc. and it should have no problem, I can't imagine they would be very deep. Any hints on doing this search. Thanks.....Curt:grin:

Should be made of iron. About 1/4-1/2" in diameter(atleast that is what my dads were). Should be easy to find as long as he knows approx where the boundries are.

A relative had me look for his a few years ago and they ended up being aluminum.

I have also seen orange plastic spikes used.

I've had a horrible time finding them, too. Seems it should be the easiest thing in the world, but It's unbelievable how many junk signals I get when I'm trying to find an iron stake. Beeps EVERYWHERE!

And it's so embarrassing, because the property owner is politely watching and waiting, wondering what the big deal is and why you're taking so long to do so simple a project.

i have found a couple one was 12 inches deep
the guy had a pretty good idea where they where

funny thing is the guy paid me in clad

Funny...I just did this for a guy. I got paid $10 too.

I thought it was easy...I used my F2. The signal was VERY strong and clear, the depth was 2-4". The prop.owner did know approx where they were, that made it easier. I found all 4 in about 20 minutes. In hindsight, using a long Nail or something would have been easier than digging...If I had to do it again, Id find the target and then push a long thin nail into the ground to find it. Trash will not feel the same as a 10-12"x1-2" spike in the ground. I think.

I was at my park down the road...to find that illusive Qtr that I couldn't get in the rain yesterday when I see a guy park, get out and head my way. I thought oh-oh...here we go, Im going to get yelled at for hunting. He asks me if my MD could find property stakes. I said as long as they're metal,,,sure. I followed him to his house a few blocks away. I found all four in about 20 minutes. The back left rear was hard as there were overhead pwr lines AND underground lines so I had to go slow...really slow. I got a LOT of EMI back there too, but I succeeded.

Its raining today...but I'll go back there...Im wondering if i notch all BUT Iron..if that would help?

found some the other day for an owner. I get this request a lot when I knock on doors. Sometimes, it is your key to getting on a property. Help them find the marker and they will let you hunt.

What I have found is they are a 1 1/2" pipe and most are near the surface (only a couple inches down). They come in as iron (TID between 2 and 4 on my F5). Many times, the ones by sidewalks have been buried deeper or removed altogether as sidewalks are replaced. I often was looking too hard, and had the homeowner digging craters in his yard. If they are there and they are not deep, they are easy to find.

Off topic...but when I first moved into my new house, i found a marker REALLY easy.

Property marker 1
Lawn mower blade 0

Back
Top Bottom