Teknetics T2 review

I have the T2 Classic and find it to be a superb machine! Very easy to use, and finds them deep. I have been whipping my buddy and his AT Pro on most hunts. I find coins walking over the same areas he walks over (and he is a great detectorist) and has made great finds with the ATP. In fact he's going to bypass buying the AT Max now and pick up a T2 now, lol.

All of the units built on this platform are pretty remarkable, IMO.
The F75/F70/Patriot and the T2.

A lot more similar to each other than you might believe in both field use and productivity but they should be...they are all built on the exact same core engine.
Programming is the big difference, maybe a few features here and there but that is great...more flavors for each specific hunter type, one might be suited a little better for each of us depending on the options we like and the kind of targets we hunt for but they all work...and work well.

I prefer my F70, less of an iron spread which I don't need and a bit more expanded upper range for searching trashy and iron infested parks for coins and jewelry.
Plus the Fishers and the Patriot can use both DD's AND concentric coils, (and I love using both), while the T2 will only take DD's.

All of the units built on this platform are pretty remarkable, IMO.
The F75/F70/Patriot and the T2.

A lot more similar to each other than you might believe in both field use and productivity but they should be...they are all built on the exact same core engine.
Programming is the big difference, maybe a few features here and there but that is great...more flavors for each specific hunter type, one might be suited a little better for each of us depending on the options we like and the kind of targets we hunt for but they all work...and work well.

I prefer my F70, less of an iron spread which I don't need and a bit more expanded upper range for searching trashy and iron infested parks for coins and jewelry.
Plus the Fishers and the Patriot can use both DD's AND concentric coils, (and I love using both), while the T2 will only take DD's.

Cool write up Digger. I've been looking at getting a Patriot since I heard it is practically a rebranded F70. Your comments about the F70 in trashy parks is worth noting and the Patriot can be picked up for about $400 right now. I saw you mentioned using both the DD and concentric on your F70. Can you give me the situations you pick the concentric over the DD? I would love to know how and where it helps! Thanks!

Cool write up Digger. I've been looking at getting a Patriot since I heard it is practically a rebranded F70. Your comments about the F70 in trashy parks is worth noting and the Patriot can be picked up for about $400 right now. I saw you mentioned using both the DD and concentric on your F70. Can you give me the situations you pick the concentric over the DD? I would love to know how and where it helps! Thanks!

The Patriot IS a rebranded F70...in every way except for the color scheme and the price.

Also there is absolutely nothing wrong with using only concentrics or just using DD coils as many hunters only have experience with since most manufacturers started supplying these as stock coils on many of their models.
I just believe using both you have an added dimension to your hunting, you open up your world a little more to different responses and behavior patterns on targets that you just don't have by hunting with either type exclusively.
More choices, more and different responses, more chances of success in any given site I figure.

The 10" elliptical concentric coil was designed to come with the F70 and once you hear the response and tones over targets and see how it performs you can understand why...it is unique.
It is different than the DD's, slightly, once you have enough hours swinging both kinds you can tell, and for me this is a coil I will never get rid of even if I don't use it all the time.

Very efficient at dealing with pop top infested sites, the DD's are too if you know a few behavior tricks but using a concentric it becomes a total non issue.
This is because concentrics are slightly better and sharper at discriminating targets which is well known.

The elliptical shape is better than a round one to me, it seems to have close to the target separation abilities of a DD, I have used it very successfully in extreme trash and iron with great results.

It can find all targets but when I am on the prowl for jewelry this is the coil I choose when I am serious about it.
I don't know how or why but this thing just seems to be a bit more attracted to precious metals for some reason...or at least the volume of gold and silver targets I have found with it tells me so.
I found tiny silver on my first hunt with the F70 and this coil swinging the coil so fast you won't believe it.
I found gold on my 4th hunt that was in an extremely trashy picnic site and it was right next to trash...and much more of both after I actually spent time learning the rig better.

The sound I hear over targets using it, especially in multi tones like my favorite 4H, is stunning, and does sound different than DD's sound and I have used three different kinds of DD's.

Some say this coil in heavy iron can have advantages because if that sharper discrimination thing but I have used both kinds in uncountable sites under these conditions and have been very successful using both so a wash for me.

When people bought the F70 advice many gave them on the forums was to dump this coil immediately and get the F75 11" DD coil instead and many did, but after some guru's like Mike Hillis and a few others started talking more about the response that this coil has and especially about how well it can find jewelry many went out and bought them...again.
Including many F75 users that never had experience with them at all.

Not quite as deep as the big 11" DD but close, not the long scanning field of that one either but what it does do it does extremely well and I consider it an asset and a beloved member of my arsenal of coils.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2296414,2296729

Last edited:
The Patriot IS a rebranded F70...in every way except for the color scheme and the price.

The 10" elliptical concentric coil was designed to come with the F70 and once you hear the response and tones over targets and see how it performs you can see why.
It is different than the DD's, slightly, once you have enough hours swinging both kinds you can tell, and for me this is a coil I will never get rid of even if I don't use it all the time.

Very efficient at dealing with pop top infested sites, the DD's are too if you know a few behavior tricks but using a concentric it becomes a total non issue.
This is because concentrics are slightly better and sharper at discriminating targets which is well known.

The elliptical shape is better than a round one to me, it seems to have close to the target separation abilities of a DD, I have used it very successfully in extreme trash and iron with great success.

It can find all targets but when I am on the prowl for jewelry this is the coil I choose when I am serious about it.
I don't know how or why but this thing just seems to be a bit more attracted to precious metals for some reason...or the volume of gold and silver targets I have found with it tells me so.
I found tiny silver on my first hunt with the F70 and this coil swinging the coil so fast you won't believe it.
I found gold on my 4th hunt that was in an extremely trashy picnic site and it was right next to trash...and much more of both after I actually spent time learning the thing better.

The sound I hear over targets using it, especially in multi tones like my favorite 4H, is stunning, and does sound different than DD's sound and I have used three different kinds of DD's.

Some say this coil in heavy iron can have advantages because if that sharper discrimination thing but I have used both kinds in uncountable sites under these conditions and have been very successful using both so a wash for me.

When people bought the F70 advice many gave them on the forums was to dump this coil immediately and get the F75 11" DD coil instead and many did, but after some guru's like Mike Hillis and a few others started talking more about the response that this coil has and especially about how well it can find jewelry many went out and bought them...again.
Including many F75 users that never had experience with them at all.

Not quite as deep as the big 11" DD but close, not the long scanning field of that one either but what it does do it does extremely well and I consider it an asset and a beloved member of my arsenal of coils.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2296414,2296729

Thanks again for a great description and notes. I recently purchased the Omega 8500 and it has the eliptical concentric. Haven't used it much but I kept it as a different option. The Omega 8500 is a completely different machine than the T2 bought it as a back up but it's does have a different learning curve for sure.

So what would be the best one for coin and relic hunting between the T2, F75 and the Patriot?

So what would be the best one for coin and relic hunting between the T2, F75 and the Patriot?
I don't think I have enough experience at this. But I do have a T2 Classic. I bought it last year in July and have pulled 8000 coins out of the dirt. Yesterday a quarter at 8 inches. If you read enough you will find that all the machines you asked about are all good. Hard to beat a Fisher machine at these new prices. The T2 is listed as a relic machine but it sure found me a lot of coins. If you can live with only DD coils this is a great machine.

Is there a difference in the T2 and the T2 LTD?

The LTD should have boost on it...I mention more about that below.
Some models have DST noise reduction installed also, some don't so you need to know what you are buying before you buy.

They all do fine...The T2 finds coins and jewelry well, the Patriot and F75 can hunt for relics with the best of them.
The T2 having that larger iron range in disc, 0-40 vs 0-15 on the other two, will have a bit more numbers to deal with if you are trying to tell the difference between bullets, buckles or other small pieces of iron that come in low.
The bigger spread in the upper end can be helpful for coin hunters that come across more targets higher but as I said they all find everything well at similar depths with the available settings...and they all have plenty of those to choose from.
All targets will come in somewhere on all these machines no matter what VDI numbering system they use so you really can't worry about that.
It might come down to what targets you like to hunt for more and where you hunt.

If you are a relic hunter more than anything for instance and/or hunt in difficult ground there are a few different programming choices that might matter to you.
The Patriot has boost but does not have manual ground balance, (auto GB only), where some models of the T2 and F75 do.
Some models of the T2 and the F75 do not come with boost, not that everyone uses that feature all the time or ever.

In this video the way this guy sets up his detectors to hunt for relics, and he mentions in mineralized Virginia soil too, to him a few specific features matter.

Many don't have boost and do very well without it.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/f...g-new-edition-f75-my-arsenal.html#post5505492

Plenty more threads about all these and a bunch of T2, F75 vids out there too for you to compare and see how things work, more Patriot vids too or just look for F70 vids.

Last edited:
Is there a difference in the T2 and the T2 LTD?
Like I said my knowledge is limited. Go on the website and read the difference. Call one of the vendors that support this site. All I know is mine is deep and when it says coin the numbers are solid and the machine is quiet even when cranked up.

It is hard to go wrong with the current T2 Classic.

Run at 70 sens, 30 disc and 2 + to begin and it will find you LOTS of coins, jewelry and awesome relics. Yeah it says it's a relic machine. It is. But it is also a phenomenal coin machine. I don't think you will regret the T2 Classic @ 499 (or 399 if Academy has it that low - that's a steal!). And don't worry about EMI issues - all that stuff has been solved. You can crank the new ones and they are quiet. But I have found if you want coins drop the sens to 70-ish otherwise you will pick up every little piece of small metal. They are sensitive machines!

Thanks for all the great info. I have done a great deal more research and it looks like the T2 LTD is a lot stronger, significantly deeper. Is that correct?

Stronger than the T2 classic? Is the T2 LTD really better than the T2 Classic? Is it worth the extra money?

It has boost but that doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot of extra depth.
Many have it and don't use the boost, many don't have it and both still get deep.
It was put on these units to hover over high grass and stubble in fields but many use it on the ground to maybe get a bit deeper or a little more solid signals...maybe.
I got to a 15" target once with my F70 and no boost.
HighVDI in that thread in the link above over on TN says he has the 85th Anniversary edition with no boost or cache and is digging several targets at the 10, 11 and 12" area in his Pa. soil.

Don't know how much deeper you really need to get to.

Last edited:
Yes I am not convinced the price difference is warranted between the T2 and the T2 LTD. $400 Vs. $600???

Back
Top Bottom