August 21 eclipse of the sun

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
Should be cool to see.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/

On Monday, August 21, 2017, all of North America will be treated to an eclipse of the sun. Anyone within the path of totality can see one of nature’s most awe inspiring sights - a total solar eclipse. This path, where the moon will completely cover the sun and the sun's tenuous atmosphere - the corona - can be seen, will stretch from Salem, Oregon to Charleston, South Carolina. Observers outside this path will still see a partial solar eclipse where the moon covers part of the sun's disk. NASA created this website to provide a guide to this amazing event. Here you will find activities, events, broadcasts, and resources from NASA and our partners across the nation.

I'll be able to see the total eclipse from my own yard where we live !!!!

Those who are in the path of the total solar eclipse of August 21, 2017 will be able to do some "night" detecting in the daytime ! :lol: , but since totality will only last for minutes or less I'm sure you'd rather enjoy the eclipse itself, just be very sure to wear special glasses made for solar viewing to protect your eyes !

Here's a link to where anyone can see if where they live is in the path of totality -

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/in_the_path.htm

eclipse_2017.jpg

All attentive Outdoor Pursuit Oriented souls focus their Maximum efforts on the Sol-Lunar/Tidal and inbound barometric changes...Aug 21st Will be the BEST day to hunt Silver in a Century!! This Eclipse coincides with a New Moon! And we all know, Silver loves the Dark side of the Moon Phase!

So this Eclipse will be something alright...Its all in alignment, all you gotta do is be out there and prepared!!

All the Silver coins that have been laying dormant for the last 100+yrs, snuggled underneath a sidewalk or nestled in a bed of nails, come bubbling up and go on the rampage! Like a silvery cicada hatch! Merc and Barber dimes will be hopping around all over the place like a bunch of baby toads! Hitting you in the shins as if you were pushing a lawn mower over a gravel parking lot in shorts barefoot!

BF Halfs will be uprooting trees and light poles and flipping up sidewalk slabs! Morgans will be waddling along all over the place trying to mate with the Peace Dollars! Any Old Spanish silver will be robbing Vending machines! It will be a Once in a Lifetime Silver Grunion Run!

Short lived though, so you gotta be on game and on location! Maybe 15 minutes of reckless Silver frivolity and then they all burrow back underground and cover up with a crowncap or screwoff blanket with a nail for a pillow, exhausted, they resume their slumber....

If you want a lot of dimes, All you really need is a butterfly net, safety glasses and shin guards...cowboy boots will suffice ...you gotta be fast! like catching grasshoppers!...For the larger denominations such as BF and Walker Halfs, you need steel toe boots and one of those rattlesnake grabbing tools and a canvas sack...

For the silver Dollars and the Old Spanish Big Game? Yeah...A Kevlar vest and full Riot Gear would be a good idea....Maybe a bee helmet if you get into a hatching multidenom hoard..definitely a few 5gal buckets with a tight lid and a drop slot cut into it, furniture dolly etc......

You gotta be careful though, hunt with a partner if possible, and be ready to run!...One of our Members got attacked by a full set of Paul Revere silverware on a New Moon once!...He was using a lacrosse rig he got from his kid as a harvest device, perfect for Quarters actually, He bravely fought off the spoons and forks for a while...but then the Spatula slapped him silly, the heavy serving plate ran blocker, and the knives showed up! Luckily his hunting buddy was wearing cowboy boots and had a hockey stick!...They made it back to the safety of the car, but it was up on blocks...on account of the Spanish Reales going after the rims...:laughing:

Yeah..this Eclipse should be a good one! I might sit this one out and stay indoors though...for health reasons..This is a young Mans game...a full roll of some New Moon hatching War nickles took advantage of me once, in the dead of night...I dont want to talk about it...A full roll of Bastard Metal amalgamation War Nickels? 20 of them against just little old me? On the attack all at once like yellowjackets! There was some Walker and Barber Half ringleaders off to the side and laughing I bet...I can handle a half roll of Rosie dimes..but damn...I know my limitations...

Last edited:
All attentive Outdoor Pursuit Oriented souls focus their Maximum efforts on the Sol-Lunar/Tidal and inbound barometric changes...Aug 21st Will be the BEST day to hunt Silver in a Century!! This Eclipse coincides with a New Moon! And we all know, Silver loves the Dark side of the Moon Phase!

That must be where that song came from: "By The Light of The Silvery Moon" :music: :lol:

So this Eclipse will be something alright...Its all in alignment, all you gotta do is be out there and prepared!!

All the Silver coins that have been laying dormant for the last 100+yrs, snuggled underneath a sidewalk or nestled in a bed of nails, come bubbling up and go on the rampage! Like a silvery cicada hatch! Merc and Barber dimes will be hopping around all over the place like a bunch of baby toads! Hitting you in the shins as if you were pushing a lawn mower over a gravel parking lot in shorts barefoot!

BF Halfs will be uprooting trees and light poles and flipping up sidewalk slabs! Morgans will be waddling along all over the place trying to mate with the Peace Dollars! Any Old Spanish silver will be robbing Vending machines! It will be a Once in a Lifetime Silver Grunion Run!

Short lived though, so you gotta be on game and on location! Maybe 15 minutes of reckless Silver frivolity and then they all burrow back underground and cover up with a crowncap or screwoff blanket with a nail for a pillow, exhausted, they resume their slumber....

If you want a lot of dimes, All you really need is a butterfly net, safety glasses and shin guards...cowboy boots will suffice ...you gotta be fast! like catching grasshoppers!...For the larger denominations such as BF and Walker Halfs, you need steel toe boots and one of those rattlesnake grabbing tools and a canvas sack...

For the silver Dollars and the Old Spanish Big Game? Yeah...A Kevlar vest and full Riot Gear would be a good idea....Maybe a bee helmet if you get into a hatching multidenom hoard..definitely a few 5gal buckets with a tight lid and a drop slot cut into it, furniture dolly etc......

You gotta be careful though, hunt with a partner if possible, and be ready to run!...One of our Members got attacked by a full set of Paul Revere silverware on a New Moon once!...He was using a lacrosse rig he got from his kid as a harvest device, perfect for Quarters actually, He bravely fought off the spoons and forks for a while...but then the Spatula slapped him silly, the heavy serving plate ran blocker, and the knives showed up! Luckily his hunting buddy was wearing cowboy boots and had a hockey stick!...They made it back to the safety of the car, but it was up on blocks...on account of the Spanish Reales going after the rims...:laughing:

Yeah..this Eclipse should be a good one! I might sit this one out and stay indoors though...for health reasons..This is a young Mans game...a full roll of some New Moon hatching War nickles took advantage of me once, in the dead of night...I dont want to talk about it...A full roll of Bastard Metal amalgamation War Nickels? 20 of them against just little old me? On the attack all at once like yellowjackets! There was some Walker and Barber Half ringleaders off to the side and laughing I bet...I can handle a half roll of Rosie dimes..but damn...I know my limitations...

A few of our members should have some good viewing. Beerdoodle, if he's still back home, should have a good view.

They are expecting so many people coming to this area to see the eclipse that they are warning that the highways will be jammed. The local stores are running out of the glasses that one is supposed to use to view the eclipse.

Hotels and motels are booking up solid.

I wonder what all those tens of thousands of folks will do when it is so cloudy that they can not see the eclipse

I might just go detecting.

They are expecting so many people coming to this area to see the eclipse that they are warning that the highways will be jammed. The local stores are running out of the glasses that one is supposed to use to view the eclipse.

Hotels and motels are booking up solid.

I wonder what all those tens of thousands of folks will do when it is so cloudy that they can not see the eclipse

I might just go detecting.

I think as the eclipse gets closer if those planning to travel to SC see the forecast having a high chance of clouds they might switch their travel plans to a sunnier location :lol:

I realize that long range weather forecasts are basically educated guesses and can easily change as the eclipse gets closer, but as of right now the 10 day forecast for our particular zip code in South Carolina sounds iffy but hopeful :lol:

Hopefully it will change to less chance of clouds rather than more in the afternoon for that day.

10dayscforecast3.jpg

10dayscforecast4.jpg

10dayscforecast5.jpg

I am seriouisly considering driving the 5 hours to St. Louis next Monday, then driving back home same day:shock:

Back
Top Bottom