First river hunt. 'Twas fun

volksbeetle28

I haven't gone diggin since probably memorial weekend and I've been itching to get out. Not wanting to dig in the dirt yet, I decided to go river hunting yesterday. And man, I feel like I've been missing out. I had a blast. Finds were pretty meager but I'm hooked.
I did struggle a bit at target recovery since I do not own a waterproof pinpointer. I also need to use a different digging tool. I used a cheap beach scoop and small trowel. They did the job, but something sturdier will be needed. Here is a picture of the finds. I'm not sure what to make of the button, no markings and the shank is missing. Possibly pewter? Happy hunting all.
b0a545969412f6dc54d0e5cb18a8bd1b.jpg
c374d99ff810d086ff2fa164e84da11f.jpg
ceab276926072c3b76d7332859d268d0.jpg
f138112ece04995ed3965284754d1b70.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are old tops and tabs and sinkers you got there...plus the coins say theres some swimming going on...I might say you are only hearing the really Large targets though...you gotta go a bit subtle in a place like that once you clean out the bigs...

From looking at your pics, I have no doubt theres gold and silver in there...that kind of old junk would give any water hunter a complete woody....Great post and shot and effort! Very good post that signifies theres some treasure waiting there for you!

Last edited:
Mud has it right. Get yourself a good scoop and leave the pinpointer at home. I'd recommend Sunspot Stealth 720i.

Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!!!! :laughing:

While those themselves aren't the greatest finds, like Mud said, that's a sign of good things to come if all that is still there. Most likely an untouched swimming area.

Those are old tops and tabs and sinkers you got there...plus the coins say theres some swimming going on...I might say you are only hearing the really Large targets though...you gotta go a bit subtle in a place like that once you clean out the bigs...

From looking at your pics, I have no doubt theres gold and silver in there...that kind of old junk would give any water hunter a complete woody....Great post and shot and effort! Very good post that signifies theres some treasure waiting there for you!
Thanks. I'm going to try and back out again soon.

Mud has it right. Get yourself a good scoop and leave the pinpointer at home. I'd recommend Sunspot Stealth 720i.
That looks like a
really nice scoop. Does it handle rocks pretty good? I'm dealing with lots of golf ball to soft ball sized rocks.

Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!!!! :laughing:

While those themselves aren't the greatest finds, like Mud said, that's a sign of good things to come if all that is still there. Most likely an untouched swimming area.
Quick story on PBR. My grandpa passed in 2003, and grandma in Jan. 2016. Fast forward to this year and the house of which they were original owners, was sold this summer. It ended up being bought by a guy I know(small world) and when he was in the attic he found 2 mint empty cans of PBR. He gave me one to keep. Kinda makes want to start collecting beer cans.

That bowed out thing looks like an old scale weight, maybe even one nestled inside the other.
the copper looking thin metal?

Stay after it. Most guys run from a area with lots of cans and pull tabs. But that tells you people were there and usually a lot of them.
Yeah I'll keep going. Just wish I'd have tried earlier in the summer.

That's a really old beautiful button you found!!!! Check the marks on the back.
Great find!!! Looks Colonial. Single metal button.
thanks. I was hoping someone would comment on the button. I couldn't see any markings on it at all.

Expect a PM from Mud asking join you - seems to be excited about your river.
😂

To answer your question, yes the 720 is a beast in the rocks. I hunt rocks all the time which beats the hell out of the scoop but it keeps on going. Comes with a lifetime warranty too which you can't beat. Worth every penny.

My best piece of advice to you is this. If you're going to water hunt, buy quality FIRST. Do not cheap out on water hunting gear. It will come back to bite you every single time, and most likely during a great hunt.

Back
Top Bottom