Anyone Use a Hookah Dive system for Fresh Water detecting?

Buellride

Forum Supporter
Just wondering if any one has used or is thinking about using a hookah dive system to do their underwater detecting? Something similar to this: https://www.diverightinscuba.com/tr...xwBk37dwHm9tZRIHomED4FdIZz2T-anwaArRPEALw_wcB

I am SCUBA certified but the expense of buying all of the gear, etc. to only do shallow 10-15 foot dives seems a little cumbersome in my mind....I know I can build a cheaper version myself, just wanting to know if anyone else has tried to use one for freshwater/lake hunting?

There are several lakes in/around where I live that I KNOW must have old gold and silver from the multitude of dive platforms and locations....thoughts?

Scuba

And i would bet Paul, that if you got that, you wouldn't be able to fill the tank , without a Scuba certification, Scuba can fill you in on that, as he fill's his own tank's, Earl

And i would bet Paul, that if you got that, you wouldn't be able to fill the tank , without a Scuba certification, Scuba can fill you in on that, as he fill's his own tank's, Earl

He states he is scuba certified. So he can get them filled.

The only expense he is doing away with as I see it is a BC. He will have a tank, a regulator, a long second stage hose, and a pressure gauge. A wet suit, mask and booties and weights.

I was thinking of getting the weight off my back and was looking at a SEAC float, double tanks, I already have yokes, and a 25' Miflex hose. Haven't taken the plunge yet.

I find my tanks on Craigslist and pay 50.00 each or less for them. I make sure they were made after 1990 if Luxfer and I could care less if they have hydro's and visual's. Visuals are a SCAM. Hydro's are a must to be safe.

The trouble with that setup listed for 600.00

https://www.diverightinscuba.com/tr...xwBk37dwHm9tZRIHomED4FdIZz2T-anwaArRPEALw_wcB

Tank is NOT INCLUDED

Way too expensive for what you are getting.

This SEAC float will hold two tanks The Bounty is a lot better than the Seamate:

Cost 179.00 including shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seac-Bounty...479619&hash=item361d134348:g:aoEAAOSwpIxZcH9x

You need a regulator. You can get good ones cheap off Fee-Bay and Craigslist. Then you need a good 25' low pressure hose. Miflex makes the best ones out there.

https://www.amazon.com/MiFlex-Low-Pressure-Braided-Hoses/dp/B007Z3WGSY?th=1&psc=1

You can build your own setup cheaper than the junk they put together and it will be quality. You still have to get your tanks and have them hydro'ed every 5 years and have them visualized (a joke)

I can tell you how to get around the visual (buy stickers off Fee-Bay) and needing a sea card but I won't.

Anyway, If you are certified. Make your own SNUBA. You will be much happier.

Thank you for the insight and recommendations. I too think I can build one for around $200 or so. My brother is a master diver and could possibly get more stuff even cheaper or free.

I guess the real question is whether it is all worth it?

I know some of you all are very successful with SCUBA detecting, just wonder with the colder weather around here.

The trouble with that setup listed for 600.00

https://www.diverightinscuba.com/tr...xwBk37dwHm9tZRIHomED4FdIZz2T-anwaArRPEALw_wcB

Tank is NOT INCLUDED

Way too expensive for what you are getting.

This SEAC float will hold two tanks The Bounty is a lot better than the Seamate:

Cost 179.00 including shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seac-Bounty...479619&hash=item361d134348:g:aoEAAOSwpIxZcH9x

You need a regulator. You can get good ones cheap off Fee-Bay and Craigslist. Then you need a good 25' low pressure hose. Miflex makes the best ones out there.

https://www.amazon.com/MiFlex-Low-Pressure-Braided-Hoses/dp/B007Z3WGSY?th=1&psc=1

You can build your own setup cheaper than the junk they put together and it will be quality. You still have to get your tanks and have them hydro'ed every 5 years and have them visualized (a joke)

I can tell you how to get around the visual (buy stickers off Fee-Bay) and needing a sea card but I won't.

Anyway, If you are certified. Make your own SNUBA. You will be much happier.

I've got the compressor, battery setup. Float it all on a little inflatable boat. The problem is there isn't really a regulator. Just a modified snorkel. The compressor is constantly pushing air through... it almost feels like it's trying to pump up your lungs. Haven't used it in the water yet, but,tried it in my living room for 20 minutes or so. Total cost $210. Using it in 6ft or 7ft depth.. so if there is a problem I can just stand up. Also have a life vest with co2 cartridge

Smacking myself in the head paying for visuals. Don't know why I haven't printed my own stickers.
Thanks

Paul

Don't forget the Go Pro 4 camera, we were depending on Scuba to see some under water action, but only saw 1 - 10 second video of a fish :laughing: , we will look forward to your video's , there are a few that post some nice underwater video's out of the US here , but very few to none- in the US, hope your system work's out buddy, good luck, Earl :thumbsup:

Smacking myself in the head paying for visuals. Don't know why I haven't printed my own stickers.
Thanks
:laughing: There's a lot of stuff I guess you can print! ;)

Its gonna be the Final Frontier of this Sport me boys, what with all the waders out there and no real gold being worn much anymore...let alone people spending any kind of time in the water...so yeah...we gotta go subsurface for the old gold and coins and stuff whether we want to or not!

SNUBA/SCUBA is the direction I'm leaning toward probably..no gas or electric compressor to fiddle around with etc...All sorts of dive gear for peanuts on CL...

Don't forget the Go Pro 4 camera, we were depending on Scuba to see some under water action, but only saw 1 - 10 second video of a fish :laughing: , we will look forward to your video's , there are a few that post some nice underwater video's out of the US here , but very few to none- in the US, hope your system work's out buddy, good luck, Earl :thumbsup:

Earl, go to my channel. I have a few more pictures. Pretty cloudy though. Will have more soon. Water is clearing up a little bit.

Scuba

Couldn't get any volume, no sound, next should be a camera upgrade Go Pro4, kinda murky down their, but a better camera might help, when your search coil goes back & 4th , a cloud of smuck, you might want to get editing software also, as you can edit some out, happy hunting Earl

Couldn't get any volume, no sound, next should be a camera upgrade Go Pro4, kinda murky down their, but a better camera might help, when your search coil goes back & 4th , a cloud of smuck, you might want to get editing software also, as you can edit some out, happy hunting Earl

Sound?? You want to hear bubbles? Sorry, not interested in editing. Maybe in the winter. I have better things to do. I said from the beginning it would be all muck in the Detroit River. I will take pictures in the lakes once they clear up a bit more. I would rather find gold than mess with a camera.

Back
Top Bottom