Anybody own a firewood/log splitter?

On our farm we had a large field that was originally cover with trees. My grandfather and his hired hand cleared the field with axes and crosscut saws. He then chained a log to the stumps and twisted them out of the ground with his team of horses. I can't even imagine doing it today with chain saws and a tractor to pull the stumps. I have plowed that field many times and there aren't any stumps left. Most people don't know the work that the old farmers put into their farms.

So true, it pains me so much when i drive by a field that no longer gets maintained. All i can think is it took someone YEARS to clear that in the first place.

I have a 35 ton SpeeCo sounds very similar to yours..

I have the 4 way wedge too...

Ash is the best for everything..

<°)))>{

Just to elaborate more..

A few pictures of her, and the mods..

The bigger log table was welded on to the smaller factory table, it helps with production, and protects the engine too. The smaller table helps production, and protects the hydraulic system... Both tables were made on the cheap from angle iron from bed frames..

I decided to mount the engine on skateboard truck bushings to reduce noise and vibration, helps a lot..

This splitter doesn't care what wood is in it, or how it's positioned, nothing has stopped it yet..

I don't try to bother with elm, simply because of like mentioned, full stroke on every piece lol..

Ash is the quickest pop there is around here. Just have to make sure a piece of log doesn't pop you in the twig and berries...:shock: Facing properly becomes instinctive real quick...

Included a stock picture too..

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20170811_165808.jpg
    IMG_20170811_165808.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20170811_170030.jpg
    IMG_20170811_170030.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20170811_172017.jpg
    IMG_20170811_172017.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20170811_172759.jpg
    IMG_20170811_172759.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Hey Ice, I did the same kind of mod with my machine. I added an extended table on the offside of the valve that protects the motor and provides a place to slip the offside half of the log while you finish splitting the near half. Saves from having to drop a half and then pick it up again to split it. I had considered putting the original small table on the nearside but thought it would get in the way. It looks like you mounted the smaller near table lower and forward to better protect the hydraulics. If that is the case how do you use it? Do you place your near half there or have a loader put a second log there while you are working on the first? I think I will play with the original table a bit before I do something permanent. You have given me some ideas. You have a nice stout machine and I like your mods.......RK

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 113
Thanks Metalwrkr..

I like that top you made, plasma cut?

The smaller table just ended up lower because it made sense on how to weld it to the beam.. I use it to set a round on, or sometimes a piece of a round while I'm splitting..

<°)))>{

I plasma cut the large table and parts. I put the bend in it with a hydraulic brake. The small table was the factory one. I also put a boat trailer fold away wheel on the front instead of the original pad. Takes a strain off the back when relocating the machine by hand. The hard cider is for after the work is done! RK

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 101
Hand split with a 8# maul while I'm able. Shin guards a must! Always wanted to try the fiskars splitting axe. Figure I'll get a hydraulic when I'm too old to hand split.

Black oak, incense-cedar and doug-fir, madron if lucky, ponderosa pine if need be...

Seasoned!!!!
I also hand split all of mine with either a 6lb or 8lb maul and/or steel wedge. I burn whatever I can get, but love locust the best. I like the zen feeling I get swinging the maul and the exercise is great. Just this week I cut up a large downed oak off a customer's property and got 4 fullsize pickup loads from it.
Although we have a heat pump, we almost exclusively heat with wood. Sometimes at the beginning of the season we'll turn the heat pump on, but last year only used it for two days, the rest was a wood fire.

On some of the crotchwood pieces, as I call them, I will just cut 4" thick slabs with the chainsaw...those big slabs burn just like the old Lionel Ritchie song: "all night long":lol:

Not sure how many tons I weighed as a kid, but I was my father's log splitter for more years than I care to recall. I also substituted as a rail splitter in my off time. Split rail fences were the rage around our property. Quite easy work when you have an 8 year old with too much energy for his own good. Just turn him loose with a chain saw, ax, sledge, many wedges and a 1939 International Harvester pickup. I would run out of gas or bar oil and I would drive to the country station to get what was needed. Couldnt see over the wheel and touch the gas pedal at the same time.

Really cant complain. I see some of the kids nowadays never having to do any manual labor and I am glad I had the opportunity. Just not sure I could have given my 8 year old a chainsaw and an ax and turned him loose on the property unsupervised. (no way my wife would have let me) Different times, for sure.

My brother and I cut and split together for each our winter needs. Two chords apiece. Last year he bought a double action splitter, splits in both directions. Man is that thing fast, no more waiting for the wedge to retract. Has a large table on both sides so each split piece just rolls onto a table. Pop the split pieces back onto the splitting rail and hit the button again. Really speeds up the process.

I run a wood burning insert in my fireplace. I use about 3/4 of a cord and about a 1/2 cord of kindling. I get along fine with using a 7 ton electric splitter. It's rated for like 10 inch logs but it does larger easily. This little $300 unit has saved me a lot of work over 7-8 years.

Back
Top Bottom