• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Where was Rudy? Part sept

Rudy

Admin
This is a continuation of the Where was Rudy series.

Alas, this is the last segment.

You guys have been pretty astute at decoding the clues. Hopefully this one will
be more challenging. Can you guess?
IMG_4507.jpg

I must say, a visit to this location had been in my bucket list for years. Finally the opportunity came.

Last edited:
:dingding: How on earth did you figure it out so quickly?

Same as before, did an image search to find something looking similar like the unique window design for example, seeing the name of where that was, then doing a search on that location to verify that site had such a statue looking out a window.

Neat photo and challenge Rudy, thanks, it was fun !

I sure wouldn't want to be the housekeeper having to clean with how big that place is :lol:

Our last stop on this saga was Le Mont-Saint-Michel (Saint Michael's Mount), an island
(just 600 meters from land) off the coast of Normandy, France.

The island has held strategic fortifications since ancient times and since the 8th
century AD has been the seat of the monastery from which it draws its name.
The structural composition of the medieval town exemplifies the feudal society
that constructed it: on top, God, the abbey and monastery; below, the great halls;
then stores and housing; and at the bottom, outside the walls, houses for fishermen
and farmers.
IMG_4498.jpg

The commune's position made it accessible at low tide to the many pilgrims to its abbey,
but defensible as an incoming tide stranded, drove off, or drowned would-be assailants.
The tides can vary greatly, at roughly 46 ft between high and low water marks. During low
tide, one can walk across the sands from the mainland, but pity be to the unwary that gets
caught in the sand flats when the tide moves in.

Due to its position and the tremendously strong tides, the Mont remained unconquered during the
Hundred Years' War, were a small garrison fended off a full attack by the English in 1433.

The reverse benefits of its natural defence were not lost on Louis XI, who turned the Mont into a prison.
Thereafter the abbey began to be used more regularly as a jail during the Ancien Régime.

We made our assault to the top, using the path on the western side of the hill. In
retrospect, that was a mistake, as it has the steepest ascent to the abbey. The wife
and I, along with many others, were dragging by the time we reached the top.
IMG_4504.jpg

Along the way, we reached the location of the bird. I don't know its significance,
I think it was related to an art show going on at the Great Hall.
IMG_4506.jpg

Before the construction of the first monastic establishment in the 8th century, the
island was called Mont Tombe. According to legend, the archangel Michael
appeared in 708 to Aubert of Avranches, the bishop of Avranches, and instructed
him to build a church on the rocky islet.
IMG_4508.jpg

Here are some model pictures showing how the buildings looked in the Xth century,
IMG_4509.jpg

The XIth and XIIth century,
IMG_4510.jpg

and how it looks today.
IMG_4511.jpg

We are finally at the entrance to the abbey.
IMG_4513.jpg

And the views from there are incredible.
IMG_4516.jpg

IMG_4517.jpg

Being Sunday, there was a service going on, though as you can see, many tourists
didn't seem to care and show some respect. :(
IMG_4519.jpg

This heavily fortified door led to the clister, where the monks lived. Unfortunately,
there was heavy renovations in progress and so no photos worth taking.
IMG_4521.jpg

Terminally ill monks where brought to this cell which contained a small statue of
"La Piedad", so that they could contemplate the death of Jesus during their own
final moments.
IMG_4529.jpg

Now outside the abbey, we commence our descent down into the medieval village
at the bottom of the hill.
IMG_4532.jpg

The population of Mt. St. Michel (in 1999) is approximately 46 people, but during
daylight hours, thousands come to work in the many shops and restaurants.
IMG_4533.jpg

We enjoyed a great lunch of the local mussels in a cream broth with a nice German pilsner
under the red canopies. Sadly, the French are incapable of brewing a good beer.
IMG_4536.jpg

Time to exit the village and motor our way to Le Havre, where our ship is waiting
to take us back to South Hapmton England, for our return home.
IMG_4541.jpg

Hope you have found this series enjoyable and informative.

Attachments

• IMG_4534.jpg
    IMG_4534.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 64
Thanks for sharing such interesting photos Rudy !

Those buildings are definitely unique as opposed to many of the "cookie cutter" box like buildings of today :lol:

I really want to thank you for taking the time to post the pics and the stories, sounds like an awesome trip!

Back
Top Bottom