New to the hobby

ironsights

Hello

I am new to the hobby of detecting, I hail from fairfax va and would appreciate any tips on where to start as a beginner. I dont own my own property so thats not an option. The counties in northern virginia seem to be verrryyy strict regarding the us of metal detectors on any kind of public land. Any tips pertaining to my region or in general would be greatly appreciated..for example could I go to a school yard that has a sand lot to learn to use the elimination and discernment features of my detector. Ive gotten bored with mding in my living room!

Most anywhere you detect you should ask permission. Best places to start are parks and school yards, call city hall to see if there are any spacific regulations regarding detecting in parks and ask the pricipals of schools to detect after hours or on the weekends, If they are worried about holes, be very descriptive when it comes to filling in holes, make sure they understand there will be no holes left. If you go ahead and detect at parks and schools without permission, most they will do is tell you to stop, even though I am really paranoid of having a $800 machine confiscated.I detected in my room all day today, LOL.

thanks bajanick

Maybe ill ask permission at a school I am an alumnus of, Ill name drop if I have to.
thanks for the tips

ironsights

Welcome ironsights, I hunt the beaches of local lakes around me, lets me pick clad and plenty of junk while learning the machine.

Welcome Ironsights, check with your neighbours and friends, they might know of someone or let you detect their properties. Good luck :lol:

Welcome to the forum!

I'll second that about starting out in the local school yards and playgrounds. It would be best to call the school and ask if it is alright to use your MD there. I don't think you will be turned down. I have found that the schools in my area are greatfull that you will be picking up some of the unwanted material there. Good luck with your finds.

Tom

Welcome.

I guess one advantage to living in a state with a less popular history is Kansas has no metal detecting laws as of yet. Even as well known as Dodge City Kansas is I can still hunt pretty much anywhere I want without fear.

Welcome to the forum and hobby ironsights. Some good advice has been given. Always get permission on any spot. Good luck. :yes:

Welcome to the forums. Most public land is accesable but you could check with the local authorities first. Try joining a club nearby. They usually have all kinds of insight on where you can and cannot hunt on public land. Ask permission of yor friends and neighbors or even the people in your town. Another place to get involved is the local Historical society. Historyis waht we dig and of course they dig history. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom