im a noob

N

northwestphil

Hi,

Thought I would introduce myself and basically admit that I am a noob and no nothing about metal detecting at all. Like most noobs, I have been facnotated with metal detecting since i was a kid but always would look at the price tag and see three small numbers on there and would just sigh and move on down the isle.

Anyway, I got a wild hair and purchased a garrett metal detector that is underwater as well as land. I popped some popcorn and watched the 30 minute video that came with the detector as I tried to figure out how to put it together.

an eager noob, I quickly went out and started in my grandfathers yard. i soon learned that this is is hard work. The detector made noises high and low all of the time. I could not tell what was metal or not. i tried to turn it down and it still produced high and low tones EVERYWHERE.

very confusing.

I watched the video again. maybe there is just nails everywhere but i got all beeps, no "quite" time like I saw on the video. on the vid, there was a low murmur everywhere and then all of a sudden a beep. In my world, its all beeps. On the video people were finding things on a low beep, and on a high beep. How can you tell which beep?

Phil
noob

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure someone here will be able to help you. It would help if you told us which model you have and which part of the country you are in. I'm guessing you either have a PI model, or you need to ground balance the thing. Of course, there could be lots of metal in grandpa's yard. Have you dug any of the beeps?

If it came with a manual, read it. I'm sure the video makes it look easy, but if they made them look real, everyone would send their machines back as soon as they watched those videos.

I'd try searching a tot-lot near you. Or a friend's yard.

Good Luck.

Northwest welcome to the forum... If you tell us which detector you have then someone can help you understand the workings of your detector. If its a PI unit they are generally not used on land, I think I would want to kill myself if I ever used a PI in the dirt unless I was relic hunting lol...

Phil, welcome to the forum. Do yourself a favor, and use some targets you know to let you HEAR what they sound like. Place some coins on the ground, pass the coil over them, and listen carefully to the sounds. This will give you a baseline as to what targets will sound like in you headphones. As you learn these sounds, have someone tape them to the underside of a sheet of cardboard, and try to determine what they are. The next step would be to bury some targets at a depth of around 6-8 inches and use them as a practice garden. Make sure you use things other than just coins.ie pull tabs, bottle caps, bits of iron,etc. Once you learn these signals, it will make your time with your detector a lot more fun. Good luck on ALL of your hunts, and I look forward to seeing what you find.

Welcome to the forum, and MDing. I too am new.......And will be for a while, since I live near Spokane WA., and the weather won't give me a break.

Phil,

Welcome to the forum! Sorry that I can't answer your question, I'm fairly new to the hobby also. But, there are a lot of great people here that can answer all your questions.

Tom

Welcome to the hobby. Try going to a site that is free of junk like a volly ball court and practice. You can seed the site with a few coins and see how your detector responds. Cladius.

Welcome Phil to a great forum. You have come to the right place for some very helpful info. and interesting pics of neat finds. Hoser has given you an accurate way to get started with your machine. A test garden is the best way to learn what the detector is telling what is below the surface. It does take time and a lot of patience. The videos do make detecting look easy, but when you have some experience under your belt, you can make it look easy to a newcomer like yourself. Good luck with your new hobby!

Back
Top Bottom