Ultra Greenhorn

dean.tackett

:shock: Now what do I do? I'm considering MTing as a hobby but it sounds a little scary, lots of rules, where you can, where you can't etc. I can understand private property but where do you go to check if you can detect on a beach of a local park? Since the gov. owns everything is there like a master list or something? Haven't spend any money yet and am considering a Garrett Ace 250 ( as good a place to start as any from where I sit). :?:
Big topic, hope it's not too much for my first time.

Welcome to the forum.

The 250 is a good choice.

As far as finding-out where you can search, there is a recent post called 'uneasy about detecting' (or something like) with lots of good info on how to go about that.

The Research and Getting Permission section has a lot of good info in it. Typically asking the local police or parks department will get you the answer you're looking for.

Welcome to the forum and the hobby!!!

The Ace 250, good choice. It was my choice also.

I have a large state park near me, I just called them and ask if metal detectors were welcome there, they said "yes" as long as I got a permit from there office. The cost was $0 and it last for a year. The only restriction was the time of day I could use it.

Tom

Welcome to the forum. As with anything , there are rules to abide by. A code of ethics that I hope we all follow. This is a very fun and enjoyable hobby and very rewarding. I don't think there are so many rules that it inhibit our fun . I fully encourage you to take up the hobby , research can be the key to more finds and more fun. :yes:

Welcome Dean, the fun of MDing far outweighs the restrictions in my book. So far I have only had one close encounter of a friendly kind. Good luck in your endeavours :lol:

wow! This must be "Home on the Range" where "Seldom is heard a discouraging word! I wish I had explored a little closer because after I posted I found the answers I was looking for on previous postings on the Forum, I felt a little silly but got over it quickly when I saw the responses from everyone. What a great bunch you must be! :P I'm now more excited than ever about the "prospect" (get it "propect" hehehe) of metal detecting.
I live between Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio in no mans land and already go to the beach as often as possible. Since I am no longer 25, hunky, and God's gift to the bikini clad set, I need another reason to go to the beach and still have fun. (warning... hokey grandpa story coming you may want to duck! :bouncy: ) When I was young my grandfather-in-law used to take me to the Michigan dunes where he used to MD. Everytime he would dig and pull out a coin he would say "This place is nuts with money just laying around for someone to pick up, just nuts with it!" We would leave really early in the morning in the off season. It was great, would be MDing and I could find coins right on the surface where the wind would blow the sand from the coins laying around. He would get 2.00 to 3.00 dollars in coins and I would usually get about a buck.
I never took up MDing but now that I'm a grandpa, I think I should give the gift of quiet beaches and quality time to my grandchildren.
Nice to have a little support like this thanks to all who responded. :yes: I look forward to enjoying this hobby for many years. But first where to buy?
Internet or Retail store? Any retail stores worth paying extra to purchase from? If not It will be the internet.

I can help you with your purchase. Please check my site or give me a call. :yes:

Dean, welcome to the forum. You will have a ball with this hobby. This is what being granpa is all about. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom