Personal best on the pennies

aviationgale

Elite Member
Well started off like I wasn't going to go, but then decided what the heck. If I get rained on so be it. Have been eyeballing a house all summer and decided to stop and ask, people could not have been nicer. House built somewhere between 1910-20. At first not much happening then I got and V nickle then an indian, then some wheats, and it just kept going. Then it started to rain...hard, but I said forget I'm going to keep on detecting. So I did for another 15-20 minutes. So in total I ended up with 5 indians and 13 wheats along with a V nickle. A couple of head stamps, buckle, and that weird little "man" riding a pig. And that miniature "axe" along with the knife that fell apart. To top it off they said come back anytime, and they have quite the lot, so excited and grateful!!:cool12:

Attachments

• Metal detecting pictures 034.jpg
    Metal detecting pictures 034.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 204
  • Metal detecting pictures 036.jpg
    Metal detecting pictures 036.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 199
  • Metal detecting pictures 035.jpg
    Metal detecting pictures 035.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 195
  • Metal detecting pictures 039.jpg
    Metal detecting pictures 039.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 187
Really nice hunt there!! Not only is that a great mix of finds with huge numbers on the pennies, that pig rider is awesome! Any chance of a bigger picture of that hog? Congrats and HH! :aok:

Here you go, anyone know what this is? It is only about 1.5-2 inches in height. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20160821_175930_842[1].jpg
    IMG_20160821_175930_842[1].jpg
    57 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20160821_180024_523[1].jpg
    IMG_20160821_180024_523[1].jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 159
So there are a lot of pictures and old toys with clowns riding pigs. Not real sure why, except for the fact that it's double funny because of the combo...I DO know one thing though, that thing is really cool and in good shape. Is it the same on the other side?

I just did a search online and found something very close but not exact on ebay listed as "CRACKER JACK GUMBALL CHARM TOY TRINKET CLOWN RIDING PIG METAL" and the ebay description lists it's size as "HEIGHT IS APPROX 1 1/2" AND WIDTH IS APPROX. 1 1/4"

A picture of the ebay version is below, but notice the ebay version doesn't have the "bar" at the bottom like yours does, but perhaps the ebay version was originally like yours ?

clownpig.jpg

I just did a search online and found something very close but not exact on ebay listed as "CRACKER JACK GUMBALL CHARM TOY TRINKET CLOWN RIDING PIG METAL" and the ebay description lists it's size as "HEIGHT IS APPROX 1 1/2" AND WIDTH IS APPROX. 1 1/4"

A picture of the ebay version is below, but notice the ebay version doesn't have the "bar" at the bottom like yours does, but perhaps the ebay version was originally like yours ?

View attachment 359537

Nice work GKL! Looks to me like the bar is broken off the one on feebay. How I wish we could still package metal toys in boxes of caramel popcorn and not cause a national uproar!:laughing:

Nice work GKL! Looks to me like the bar is broken off the one on feebay. How I wish we could still package metal toys in boxes of caramel popcorn and not cause a national uproar!:laughing:

Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm still a kid at heart and like Cracker Jack once in a while and was disappointed when they went to just "paper" prizes, one of the neatest Cracker Jack prizes I remember from when I was younger was a plastic pinball-like machine that really worked ! :D

.....but you are right, I think aviationgale did find one like the ebay version, but in complete condition, the ebay one was listed for about $20 so aviationgale's should be worth more.

.....aviationgale - maybe check several actual Cracker Jack prize collector web sites to make sure of getting it's real value just in case it could be worth more for being in a complete condition.

WOW great going!! Yes it is like the one I have. Mine was just slightly bent so I got it back right, and now it is sits on the counter. Maybe the one in the picture had it's "legs" cut off. Thanks so much for finding that. Also it was found under a big maple trees were kids are known to play!!

WOW great going!! Yes it is like the one I have. Mine was just slightly bent so I got it back right, and now it is sits on the counter. Maybe the one in the picture had it's "legs" cut off. Thanks so much for finding that. Also it was found under a big maple trees were kids are known to play!!

Glad to help, and I was somewhat surprised to Cracker Jack having had metal prizes because when I grew up from about the mid 1950's to 1960's I pretty much only seem to remember plastic prizes, so metal prizes must likely be from before then.

Hey, keep searching around those maple trees, who knows what else you might find ! :mder:

Yeah I know all about maple trees, had plenty growing up in central NY and played around them all the time. I also only remember plastic cracker jack prizes.

Back
Top Bottom