Curb strip silver and an old park mystery-HUGE UPDATE! CONFIRMED BY MUSEUM!!!

LordOfTheZincs

Elite Member
I made a trip to Kent over the weekend for a transmission and made plans to stop in Everett on the way back to stay with my gf's grandparents for a few days. We left the island Thurs night but I didn't get to break ground til around 10am Sat as the park started to fill up with kids and floaties making their way to the lake. I had planned on hunting a boy scout camp there but it was closed for a family reunion. :no: I hunted a clearing that I was pretty sure was a different park in the 1800's from what I saw on an old map a year or so ago and came up with this.

106_1158.jpg

It says "F.W. Baker 559 Colman Seattle WN" It also has what looks like a 13 star shield up above it. I checked for a Colman St or Coleman St but there is none in Seattle. My gf wondered if it may have been a Street in old Seattle before the fire of 1889 and is under the new section?
It rings up @ 44 out of the ground so I'm thinking it's brass.

106_1160.jpg

Then, I hit a curb strip for awhile and nailed my first silver coin with the AT Pro and 2nd career. A 47D that I clipped. It was 6" deep and barley chirped but it was pretty steady with the high tone and the # was hitting @ 84 for the most part. Also got a 45 S wheat penny on this same strip.

106_1164.jpg
106_1165.jpg

Hit another curb strip in Anacortez on the way to they ferry this morning and got a silver plated religious medallion.
106_1166.jpg

Lord, What a super weekend! Love the token, if that's what it is. You've got to get off the island more often! Question, have you ever researched areas of the Pig Wars on San Juan island?

Lord, What a super weekend! Love the token, if that's what it is. You've got to get off the island more often! Question, have you ever researched areas of the Pig Wars on San Juan island?

Thanks General! Yeah I know, it's been a long time since I had a chance to go. I work a lot :roll:
Yeah I have a few of the Pig war books most of those areas are a no go for hunting but I'd sure love to. British camp and American camp are a dream :yes:

Nice! I searched a bit in Ancestry, and didn't find anyone by those initials and name. However, I did notice that some people had addresses that were, for example, 9 Coleman Dock, or 450 Colman Building. Maybe it wasn't a street? Just a thought. Congrats on the silver, too!

That appears to be a luggage tag, and if you look closely, there are two K's, so the last name may be Bakke, or Bakken.

Nice! I searched a bit in Ancestry, and didn't find anyone by those initials and name. However, I did notice that some people had addresses that were, for example, 9 Coleman Dock, or 450 Colman Building. Maybe it wasn't a street? Just a thought. Congrats on the silver, too!

I think you're right about the Colman dock. It was burned in the fire, the article mentions some offices there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colman_Dock Wonder where I could find out where 559 was? My gf just suggested another trip so we can go on the underground history tour, I TOTALLY just got suckered. :laughing:

Hmmmm. Nice old mystery here LOTZ! It sort of looks like it may have gone through a fire? Maybe that park was built on a spoil site with the fire cleanup waste?

Let us know what you find out...Good Hunting there, Sweet Q! Glad to see you got some coil time!
Mud

A great find becomes even better when you can find all the history to it!

Congrats

I searched for FW Baker Colman building and found this from the U.S. corporations bureau dated June 25th 1915. This is after he retired from the Seattle Lumber Co. but it shows new corporations formed. He and a guy named FD Black started The Victoria Land Co. listing the Colman building in Seattle as the address. https://books.google.com/books?id=Y...OAhVC3WMKHQggCBUQ6AEIKDAC#v=onepage&q&f=false
It states in his retirement letter that he had other interests in real estate etc.

What I find REALLY awesome is that it also says in the retirement letter that he moved to Seattle with the.....you guessed it......"Black Hardware Co." and started the Seattle Lumber co. I also found several other articles where he and FD Black and some other Blacks sat on the same board of trustees and things of that nature. What ya all think? Solved?

Thats so cool Man! He was a Lumber Baron at the perfect time in History!

Up here in Muskegon Michigan, we had some famous Lumber barons...Hackley- Hume...they were basically responsible for the total deforestation of the Lower Peninsula back in the day, all crosscut saw and axe work back then!...Philanthropists...parks, hospitals, librarys named after them even to this day! Museums, etc...employed 1000s of people in this industry, basically created this whole area....

They ran a big lumber mill here from 1856 to 1894 and supplied the materials to rebuild Chicago after the great fire of 1871...You found something of that nature from a Lumber Baron! Damn! What a great find of historical significance!

Mud

Thats so cool Man! He was a Lumber Baron at the perfect time in History!

Up here in Muskegon Michigan, we had some famous Lumber barons...Hackley- Hume...they were basically responsible for the total deforestation of the Lower Peninsula back in the day, all crosscut saw and axe work back then!...Philanthropists...parks, hospitals, librarys named after them even to this day! Museums, etc...employed 1000s of people in this industry, basically created this whole area....

They ran a big lumber mill here from 1856 to 1894 and supplied the materials to rebuild Chicago after the great fire of 1871...You found something of that nature from a Lumber Baron! Damn! What a great find of historical significance!

Mud

Thanks Mud! But wait....there's more!! :shock: His position was a treasurer for the Seattle Hardware company, retired in 1909 from that position but held positions on the Executive committee and Finance committee of THIS!!!!! http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=8630 This dude had his hands in more sh** than Donald Trump :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom