• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Very odd grouping of small metal objects...need help!

iyiyi

Hi guys.
Super stumped here.
Not even sure if this is where I should post this, but here goes nothing!

I actually bought these at an auction tonight. No one, including the auctioneer had any idea what they were. They looked very old and just spoke to me. I live in upstate/central new york and that is believed to be where these were found.

I really don't even have any ideas here.
I am guessing they are made of brass/bronze/copper? not sure. Just basing it off of the oxidation.

There are 5 solid pieces that have holes all the way through them. 3 are UFO shaped and 2 are slightly conical. Tried to show this as best I can in the pics. They are solid, not hollow. They have carved/stamped decorations around them. One has a 6 pointed star with a grid patter, others that look like rays, etc.

There is also a hollow metal piece with 2 cones going into it. Very odd. The ball portion seems to be 2 sperate pieces connected together.

There is also have a circle of thin metal with 2 holes at the bottom, and hot air balloon/whale shaped piece of thin metal.

Finally there is what looks like a tiny spoon. Has a hole near the base of the spoon part and hand-decorated on the actually surface of the spoon.

NO IDEA if these are at all related or not. Someone placed them in a display case as a grouping.

I can get more pics if need be. Penny is for reference.

I would love any help! I'd be very impressed if anyone can positively ID any of this.

Thanks guys

21aempx.jpg

2daesky.jpg

2po5edk.jpg

2417ddd.jpg

x5drtk.jpg

30tnofk.jpg

14jq3hy.jpg

dgi5nk.jpg

2liv61s.jpg

np5ily.jpg

Sorry I can't help but that ball with the two cones is VERY interesting

I thought so too!

I'm thinking the solid pieces with the holes were fur trading beads. If so, my guess is that the sphere with the cones could have been a centerpiece for a necklace where pieces of string/leather went into the funnels and were tightened.

Just a guess.

Would love it if anyone here has any solid info on any of this.
Thanks!

Maybe very old apothacary kit.

Could be tools for mixing and measure. Bead type with holes as a holder of a small tuft of herbs to burn medicinal or mystical due to symbles maybe. The round tiny vessel with two tiny funnels or straws a way to mix. One funnel to add the other to remove into mouth or nasal. Or add two seperate compounds. One side to light for burning.Of coarse the spoon but the other small spoon to mix maybe even if its flat. It just reminds me of something similar I've seen but I can recall where? That's my best shot....

My wife thinks a few of those could be knobs?

Or copper beads?

19th cent. victorian silver spoon with detailed repousse handwork?

I Believe

I believe that you have copper beads etc... from the fur trade era. It certainly looks like it fits in this time period and the early spoon supports that. I'm just going by like relics that others have dug.

There were some crazy little trinkets that were traded to the indians as the appreciated flashy items. They were probably polished up at one time. Pendants, broaches, knives, spoons, thimbles and rings were also included as trade items.

I believe that you have copper beads etc... from the fur trade era. It certainly looks like it fits in this time period and the early spoon supports that. I'm just going by like relics that others have dug.

There were some crazy little trinkets that were traded to the indians as the appreciated flashy items. They were probably polished up at one time. Pendants, broaches, knives, spoons, thimbles and rings were also included as trade items.

That's what I'm leaning towards as well.
I can't find any examples that are the same, but some similar.

Still hoping someone can tell me for certain. Would love to know how old they are.

Back
Top Bottom