Coppers Dug at New Cellar Hole - Pics and Video

BB_in_Maine

Elite Member
Hey all - another short hunt tonight back up to my new site. It's just too good to stay away! My girlfriend Meg was up there with me today swinging a bit herself.

Ended up having a very nice little hunt, with the result being an 18?? Victoria Copper Halfpenny (British) and a mystery copper. Very pleased with the first and intrigued by the latter. I can't for the life of me make out what it is... it feels old, it's quite thin... has some raised shapes on it as you'll see in the photo but I can't tell if someone just took another coin and hammered it out or what. It's also exactly the size of a regular LC, as you can see it next to the British Penny - just with rough edges and pretty thin... My feeling at the moment is that it's either nothing at all, or it's something very interesting. May never know. Still, a cool dig... Rang up a 77-78, which is the other thing - same as a penny.

I ended up making a video today - initially I was just going to do a short tour of the site, but then I decided to try filming a live dig and managed to get the Victoria coming out of the ground. It's on Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=shqya9aQEWg If you do watch it, apologies in advance for that big watermark on the video - I'm using a freebie video editing program... But if you can get past that, enjoy checking out the site and the dig...

I can't say enough about how much I love hunting this place - it's like my own private detecting playground - getting first crack at it.... I don't think it gets much better! Got to think of something nice to do for my neighbor... Cheers, thanks for looking, BB

Ps: EDIT - I just looked at the mystery piece under the microscope an there's evidence of gilding in very small areas , which you actually can't see in this photo - it appeared after soaking in olive oil a bit. So for that reason, I'm going to assume that it was a gilded dandy button, even though there's no trace of a shank. It make sense for the thinness, size etc.

Attachments

• july20_2012.jpg
    july20_2012.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 422
  • july20_2012-2.jpg
    july20_2012-2.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 428
  • july20_2012-3.jpg
    july20_2012-3.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 432
Very nice finds for sure! Can't go wrong with a virgin site... looking forward to seeing what else you find there.

Thanks all - the mystery piece gets weirder - there are definitely traces of gold in the center of it on the side shown, when I coat it in olive oil and look at it under a microscope (yeah, I'm that dork) - there is also a faint hint of a concentric circle about halfway between the center and the edge, also gold, and the faintest outlines of gold letters - only a few of them. Pretty amazing and you have to see it under the scope to see it at all. Anyway, it leaves me thinking it was a button, even though there's no shank remains, because why would a coin have gilding on it - doesn't make sense unless it was trying to be a counterfeit. Anyway, it's one of those frustrating ones where I know I'll probably never get to the bottom of the mystery. Oh well - still think it's a neat find and I love my Vicky. Cheers, BB

Ironically I found found something very similar to your "mystery piece" just yesterday and I too was stumped, and so perhaps your post has helped me to identify it. I was hunting in a location where I had previously found a British copper and some other colonial era items and I uncovered what I first thought was a coin slightly larger than a quarter, but it is very smooth, flat and thin. No sign of a shank. Upon closer examination there is definitely evidence of gold gilding around the edges. My question to all: am I safe to go ahead and use warm peroxide and/or olive oil on this to see if I can see any other details? Your "button" appears to have some sort of a design on it, but my piece does not appear to have any detail that I can see besides the gilding.

Ironically I found found something very similar to your "mystery piece" just yesterday and I too was stumped, and so perhaps your post has helped me to identify it. I was hunting in a location where I had previously found a British copper and some other colonial era items and I uncovered what I first thought was a coin slightly larger than a quarter, but it is very smooth, flat and thin. No sign of a shank. Upon closer examination there is definitely evidence of gold gilding around the edges. My question to all: am I safe to go ahead and use warm peroxide and/or olive oil on this to see if I can see any other details? Your "button" appears to have some sort of a design on it, but my piece does not appear to have any detail that I can see besides the gilding.

Yes, you are safe to use either - peroxide is best to take off that brown-ish crust that you see on some coins and buttons - I have found olive oil better for softening that bright green copper crust that you also get. Naval Jelly is best for taking corrosion off a gilded item. I think it's safe to say that you also have found a 'dandy' or frock button, based on teh gilding, but as with mine it's a little funny that you wouldn't see a trace of the shank. I suppose wherever it was soldered on it could have easily just broken off clean, and not left much of a mark after being in the ground for 150+ years... post a photo in the Need help ID'ing section to get more feedback... Cheers! BB

Back
Top Bottom