Bounty Hunter Quick Silver vs. Garrett Ace 250?

Diggum

Elite Member
I have a QS, but am looking at a second detector (a third, eventually, is my goal so that my two boys and I can all go out and cover ground). The second one is an Ace 250. When I went online to do a comparison, it seemed that the Quick Silver was "better" than the Ace, which surprised me. What are the opinions of the learned, here? Should I get another QS, or is the Ace a much better machine?

Thanks, y'all!

I hate the "Bong" tone of the Ace so I would NEVER get one. That sound just drive me crazy and it seems to lag behind the target.

If you are considering another machine you may want to consider the Bounty Hunter Platinum.

I have one that I was using before I got my F5 and I loved it. It's an inexpensive machine and is much better than the QS.

Thanks, guys. Good suggestions, so far, but neither of those models are in the sub-$150 range, which is why I'm looking at this Ace. So the Ace tones can be annoying, but I find the high pitched QS sound annoying as well, unfortunately. So, QS vs. Ace 250...?

EDIT: Thanks, JohnnyFlake! For some reason, refresh didn't pick up your post until after I submitted mine. I've seen good things about the 505. I'll keep that one in mind.

i have used both. i ditched the QS in favor of the 250. and i've found TONS of goodies with the ace.

no comparison in my mind. ace has better discriminating , shows icons for the coins, has a lot of different modes for hunting. also has a depth meter thats fairly accurate . (most times)

i have used both. i ditched the QS in favor of the 250. and i've found TONS of goodies with the ace.

no comparison in my mind. ace has better discriminating , shows icons for the coins, has a lot of different modes for hunting. also has a depth meter thats fairly accurate . (most times)

Thanks, Hook! That's a ringing endorsement for the Ace!

I started with a QS and was having some decent success with it. My father surprised me over the summer with a 250 and I've never looked back. While I admit that ALL of my good finds came with the QS, the 250 has found me much more and discriminates so much better. I have to agree with Hook....the pinpoint feature, the discrimination, and the customization all make the 250 a better machine in my book.

Hey Diggum, I'll sell you my platinum for $150 + $20 for shipping if you want it.

It's still in great shape and only about a year old. I got it from a friend that got it for his wife and she never used it. I used it for 4-5 months with no issues at all.

ace 250
I had both and honestly you can't compare the two machines, ace is a world better than the quick silver...

Thanks, guys. Good suggestions, so far, but neither of those models are in the sub-$150 range, which is why I'm looking at this Ace. So the Ace tones can be annoying, but I find the high pitched QS sound annoying as well, unfortunately. So, QS vs. Ace 250...?

Where are you getting your prices? A quick check shows the F2 for $199 while the Ace 250 is $212. I've had both the Ace 250 and the F2 and I liked the F2 a lot better.

I love the Ace. It has found me great things and I think it is generally under rated for depth. Check out my blog link below. The Ace is a great machine once you get to know it!

The Ace 250 is a good machine. I'm halfway through my 3rd set of batteries. With headphones (which I recommend)I get about 25-30 hrs of MDing. I can honestly say that I'm satisfied with its performance. Would I like to upgrade? Yes! I'm only about 3 months into this hobby , so I'm not ready to upgrade yet. Finding my first gold is a challenge with this machine . I did find a gold wedding band on the beach for a woman that lost it. That doesn't count . The Ace 250 is definitely a coinhound I must say. I can go on and on .....
Scott

I have the ace250, and love it. It's found a whole lot!

But, I used my buddies f2 one day, and was AMAZED at how fast it is, and the digital number readout I think is better than a little square with an icon of what it thinks it is.

Thats another reason I want an AT pro...it does both!:lol:

Don't waste your time. Get a good used .... for 150-175

Yup.... I'd look for a higher-end, used model from a forum member, or contact one of the forum sponsors.

The sponsors typically give a discount to forum members. Additionally, some of them take trade-in models, check to make sure they are in good working condition, and then resell them -- which is another way to find a higher-end model at an affordable price.

-David

Not tried the ACE only but do have the QS. Which coincidentally I have to make a call on today to check how good the are with warranty repairs (head phone jack died on me this past weekend, works fine without but even with duck tape over the speaker that thing is LOUD) Going to get it fixed and give it to my 12 year old to play with. Already have a quote from Bart on an AT Pro that I'm going to pull the trigger on come payday next week. The QS found me some decent stuff but in less then a year left me wanting far more then it could offer. Just from the research I've done (no experience with it so not and expert) but I would say ACE or F2 would be your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom