here are a couple pics, its pretty dark

Attachments

• IMAG0182.jpg
    IMAG0182.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 2,314
  • IMAG0183.jpg
    IMAG0183.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 2,269
First of all, can you tell the date and mint mark? If it is a key date coin and worth a considerable sum - DON'T clean it. Seated coins aren't necessarily rare, but they definitely are not in the same class as Mercs or Rosies. If you clean a key date coin, it's ruined. The most you should ever do to silver coins that aren't rare, or for that matter any coin, is soak them in soapy water for about a week and then run clean water over it without rubbing them. Then use low pressure air to dry it.

There are many threads on this forum and coin collecting forums addressing cleaning of coins. The rule of thumb is first to know what you have before doing anything.

G.

Hard to tell from that picture what is going on... but soaking in lemon juice is much more forgiving on the surface than an abrasive or something much more on the acid side. If lemon won't do anything then you would probably need something much stronger like a dip, but that could leave a dug coin looking pretty ugly and gray.

PS... If you are fairly new to detecting you'd be surprised how your taste can change. When I started I thought very shiny coins looked great, and green patina on brass and copper made a dug find not look natural. Now about 11 years later I have the total opposite thinking.

TOOTHPASTE. It can be mildly abrasive but I've tumbled some low value silver coins with toothpaste ans aquarium gravel and they come out great.

Back
Top Bottom