Mods for Tesoro Compadre???

nippip

I did some searching for Compadre mods in the forums and I found a few threads that mentioned folks had done mods but I could not track down what exactly was done. If you know of the posts that describe mods for a Compadre or have done one your self would you please let me know.

Regards,

Nippin

I did some searching for Compadre mods in the forums and I found a few threads that mentioned folks had done mods but I could not track down what exactly was done. If you know of the posts that describe mods for a Compadre or have done one your self would you please let me know.

Regards,

Nippin

You do realize that will void your warranty (assuming you are the original owner).........

Dusty

I did some searching for Compadre mods in the forums and I found a few threads that mentioned folks had done mods but I could not track down what exactly was done.
Nippin

The only mod I know of is to change the pins so you can use other coils.
If I had one, I would leave it as it is, and just use it as a tot lot killer and trashy area detector.

Regards,

Nippin
If you are looking to mod. the Compadre so it can accept different coils I can send you the details showing you what to do.

If you are looking to mod. the Compadre so it can accept different coils I can send you the details showing you what to do.

Would you please send the mod details?
I thought I saw where someone added another knob, maybe sensitivity, and it was not the three knobs that tabdog added :)

Would you please send the mod details?
I thought I saw where someone added another knob, maybe sensitivity, and it was not the three knobs that tabdog added :)
pm me your email address and I will get them to you.

Might as well post the mod. in case anyone wants it, if you are not comfortable doing electronic work I do not recommend trying to do the mod. & it will void your warranty.

Changing coils on the Compadre

Go inside the Compadre and remove the strain relief that is located at the control housing. There are wrench flats (nuts) on both the inside and outside. Once that is loose, snip the coil wires between the coil cable and the PC Board, leaving enough on the board to identify what goes where. Cut the orange, grey, purple, and black wires that attach to the PC Board. Note that the black wire is actually soldered to the ground/shield wires in the coil cable.

Then, remove the 5-pin plug from the coil you want to use. and strip the outer covering back about 2 1/2 inches. Separate the orange, grey, purple, and blue wires from inside the ground/shield wire mesh, being careful to keep the mesh intact. Just twist the two sections together into a single strand.

Once you've done that, remove the coil wire from the Compadre housing and the hardware from the replacement coil. Thread the replacement coil cable back through the strain relief sections like you removed the original, and then solder each wire back to the PCB or to the sections of color-coded wire that you left on the PCB when cutting off the original coil cable..... orange to orange, grey to grey, purple to purple, and the ground/shield mesh to the black ground. It's actually just as easy (or easier) to remove and replace one wire at a time from the PCB while soldering each cable wire back directly to the PC Board points. Be sure to either wrap or use a piece of heat-shrink tubing on the exposed part of the mesh ground/shield part of the wire to avoid ground contact with the PCB inside the housing (red covering in photo). Also, the extra BLUE wire in the coil cable is not used, so just snip it off close to your strip edge where the other wires come out of the outer cable covering.

If you would like to have interchangable coils option, connectors can be installed in order to change out different coils on the Compadre. To do that you will need the Switchcraft female side of the coil cable connector plug (the part that fits in the control housing itself) and then the male end used on the actual coil cable. Just be sure to match the color-coded wires up to the standard scheme used on all of the land coils. Although the 5-pin plug hardware is used, only 4 pins are actually used. The standard pattern is as follows:

Pin 1 = Orange
Pin 2 = *not used
Pin 3 = Purple
Pin 4 = Grey
Pin 5 = Ground/Shielding (center pin)

The pins and female recepticles are numbered on each insert for easy referrence.

Also, the hole in the Compadre case where the stock cable strain relief passes through will need to be enlarged a little to accept the female side of the plug hardware. The housing is basicly the same as all of the uMax housings and everything will fit just fine.

Unless the parts number have changed the Switchcraft numbers for needed parts are:

5-pin Male coil cable plug = SL415M
5-pin Female control housing plug = SL405F
Strain relief spring for cable = SL05

Attachments

• Compadre-rewire.jpg
    Compadre-rewire.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 10,749
pm me your email address and I will get them to you.

Might as well post the mod. in case anyone wants it, if you are not comfortable doing electronic work I do not recommend trying to do the mod. & it will void your warranty.

Changing coils on the Compadre

Go inside the Compadre and remove the strain relief that is located at the control housing. There are wrench flats (nuts) on both the inside and outside. Once that is loose, snip the coil wires between the coil cable and the PC Board, leaving enough on the board to identify what goes where. Cut the orange, grey, purple, and black wires that attach to the PC Board. Note that the black wire is actually soldered to the ground/shield wires in the coil cable.

Then, remove the 5-pin plug from the coil you want to use. and strip the outer covering back about 2 1/2 inches. Separate the orange, grey, purple, and blue wires from inside the ground/shield wire mesh, being careful to keep the mesh intact. Just twist the two sections together into a single strand.

Once you've done that, remove the coil wire from the Compadre housing and the hardware from the replacement coil. Thread the replacement coil cable back through the strain relief sections like you removed the original, and then solder each wire back to the PCB or to the sections of color-coded wire that you left on the PCB when cutting off the original coil cable..... orange to orange, grey to grey, purple to purple, and the ground/shield mesh to the black ground. It's actually just as easy (or easier) to remove and replace one wire at a time from the PCB while soldering each cable wire back directly to the PC Board points. Be sure to either wrap or use a piece of heat-shrink tubing on the exposed part of the mesh ground/shield part of the wire to avoid ground contact with the PCB inside the housing (red covering in photo). Also, the extra BLUE wire in the coil cable is not used, so just snip it off close to your strip edge where the other wires come out of the outer cable covering.

If you would like to have interchangable coils option, connectors can be installed in order to change out different coils on the Compadre. To do that you will need the Switchcraft female side of the coil cable connector plug (the part that fits in the control housing itself) and then the male end used on the actual coil cable. Just be sure to match the color-coded wires up to the standard scheme used on all of the land coils. Although the 5-pin plug hardware is used, only 4 pins are actually used. The standard pattern is as follows:

Pin 1 = Orange
Pin 2 = *not used
Pin 3 = Purple
Pin 4 = Grey
Pin 5 = Ground/Shielding (center pin)

The pins and female recepticles are numbered on each insert for easy referrence.

Also, the hole in the Compadre case where the stock cable strain relief passes through will need to be enlarged a little to accept the female side of the plug hardware. The housing is basicly the same as all of the uMax housings and everything will fit just fine.

Unless the parts number have changed the Switchcraft numbers for needed parts are:

5-pin Male coil cable plug = SL415M
5-pin Female control housing plug = SL405F
Strain relief spring for cable = SL05
Hey, Ski. If you have pics of the g/b trimmer, sens. trimmer you might as well post those, too. Thanks.

Hey, Ski. If you have pics of the g/b trimmer, sens. trimmer you might as well post those, too. Thanks.
you got it buddy! Remember there are two different versions of Compadre's, an older model and the present one. I am not sure which model the picture posted below is for, I will try to find the picture of the other model.

Attachments

• compadre.JPG
    compadre.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 12,331
Wow!!! SkiWhiz, that is a quite thorough coil swap instruction set. Thank you kindly. I think I will get use to the 5" coil before I ever consider a second one but seeing the g/b, sens, and disc trimmers in your last pic makes me wonder what if anything could be done with those?
I think I had seen where someone had put another knob on their Compadre and it might have been for sensitivity.

Last edited:
Wow!!! SkiWhiz, that is a quite thorough coil swap instruction set. Thank you kindly. I think I will get use to the 5" coil before I ever consider a second one but seeing the g/b, sens, and disc trimmers in your last pic makes me wonder what if anything could be done with those?
I think I had seen where someone had put another knob on their Compadre and it might have been for sensitivity.

My advice...just get good with the standard coil.
If you find like hunting with this sound only kind of unit, then start saving up your allowance and clad and look for a used Cibola with a ground balance mod or a used Vaquero.
They come up for sale from time to time, usually $275-$375 range.

Keep the Compadre as a specialty unit, and that is how we start an arsenal.

My advice...just get good with the standard coil.
If you find like hunting with this sound only kind of unit, then start saving up your allowance and clad and look for a used Cibola with a ground balance mod or a used Vaquero.
They come up for sale from time to time, usually $275-$375 range.

Keep the Compadre as a specialty unit, and that is how we start an arsenal.

Digger, I appreciate the advice and I am sure I will enjoy the Compadre and will eventually work on an arsenal but I am a tinkerer and thought why not investigate what else the Compadre like the Cibola could be capable with a mod or two :)

If your Compadre is working fine I would leave it, the person that had the Compadre before I got it turned the sensitivity up to as high as it could go without being erratic (hey that sounds like a good name for Minelabs next detector - Minelab Erratic has a nice ring to it don't ya think :lol:). Unless you really know what you are doing I wouldn't touch the g.b. or the disc. trimmers, it could screw it up big time. I am thinking that you have seen the pictures of Tabdogs Compadre, I believe he stuck some extra dials temporary on it for a joke.

On the new compadre board as shown earlier there are three free solder pads around the VR4 trimmer. From the pot what goes where? I found a reference to the older board with the pads labeled J1, J2, and J6. But on the newer board there is none. Any help would be appreciated.

On the new compadre board as shown earlier there are three free solder pads around the VR4 trimmer. From the pot what goes where? I found a reference to the older board with the pads labeled J1, J2, and J6. But on the newer board there is none. Any help would be appreciated.

DD- Haven't had time to look at this to any extent, and not sure it is any different than the info you already have. Just posting in the event it might tell you what you're looking for.

http://ubuntuone.com/p/bWw/

Also, on the coil-swap mod, isn't there a connector same as Tesoro uses that mounts into the control housing, as opposed to just "cutting the cord" and installing the female side of the plug to that leading out of the machine?

If I can't make it look factory.....I'm takin' my ball and goin' home :(:lol:

Also, on the coil-swap mod, isn't there a connector same as Tesoro uses that mounts into the control housing, as opposed to just "cutting the cord" and installing the female side of the plug to that leading out of the machine?

Here's the pic for "the 5-pin Female control housing plug = SL405F"

sl40_l.jpg

It's a cable end connector, not a bulkhead type connector. Anyone ever purchase the actual (at least similar/functional) part that other Tesoros (besides the Compadre) come with?

Back
Top Bottom