Se pro v. Etrac

ollievon

Elite Member
I'm thinking about upgrading from my 705 and getting the Etrac...or the SE PRO. Granted the SE PRO is no longer in production, it's funny that they are still selling for top dollar - weird now that the ETRAC was its replacement.

Why would anyone pay full price for an Explorer SE Pro if Minelab no longer supports the product?

I've read that the ETRAC is better at target separation than the SE Pro, yet processing speed was sacrificed and you need to swing much slower, is this true?

I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but I would love some feedback.

Are you sure the Explorer is no longer supported? Many conpanies still offer support for years after discontinuing. After all, they still have to honor the warranty.

Sorry, I may have misspoken here about Minelab not supporting their product - the product has merely been "discontinued", which doesn't mean "not supported". I'm not sure the year that they stopped production, does anyone?

Here is Minelab's official verbiage about supporting discontinued models:

"All products are supported for a period of at least 7 years after they are discontinued."

Sorry, I may have misspoken here about Minelab not supporting their product - the product has merely been "discontinued", which doesn't mean "not supported". I'm not sure the year that they stopped production, does anyone?

Here is Minelab's official verbiage about supporting discontinued models:

"All products are supported for a period of at least 7 years after they are discontinued."

Hey, 7 years is really good. That's what time period vehicles are required.

Totally, I agree 7 years if excellent. But, discontinued models of cars often are discounted for new models...but not metal detectors...weird. The SE Pro is still selling for $1,200 and no one on the net has any deals, which surprises me.

My wife is giving me grief - "why spend $1,000 for a new machine when the best you find in a full day is $5.00...maybe", got to love it, spouses.

I told her, "hey, it could be $1,000 spent on a girl named something like Candy at the local strip club, instead, right", and that one got her thinking...and my logic seemed to have worked - go me +1

I thought they still made them? I believe the original explorer SE was discontinued but not the SE Pro? Could be wrong but I've used both machines. Honestly I love the SE Pro over the etrac. Mainly because I used it longer but I felt it's simplicity was great! I brought my etrac to a spot I've pounded to death with the explorer and found a few things I've missed. But then again If I went back to this same spot with a ctx 3030 , I'd also find stuff the both missed. I unfortunately didn't have the time to really learn the etrac so I sold it. Soon I will purchase another SE Pro, I'm using an explorer XS currently. While it's a great machine, I like the modern features added to the SE Pro. Low and slow is always the motto, no matter what detector you swing. But to pay that much for an Etrac and they can't even make it waterproof? Seems crazy. I mean anything above the 705 should be waterproof IMO. Garrett has no issues selling At pros and at golds that are waterproof and much cheaper priced. Anywho report back with your decision! HH!

I agree, Minelab is missing a HUGE opportunity by not making their machines waterproof.

I will let you know what I do, I might hold off a bit longer and see what comes out next - my luck is always getting one just when they release something else.

The reviews on the SE PRO are all positive - people that upgraded said the ETRAC found a bit more, but trivial - mentioning that even the ETRAC may miss something, and likewise the SE PRO may hit it based on the angle and swing speed...

I agree, Minelab is missing a HUGE opportunity by not making their machines waterproof.

I will let you know what I do, I might hold off a bit longer and see what comes out next - my luck is always getting one just when they release something else.

The reviews on the SE PRO are all positive - people that upgraded said the ETRAC found a bit more, but trivial - mentioning that even the ETRAC may miss something, and likewise the SE PRO may hit it based on the angle and swing speed...

Maybe call a couple dealers and see if the have any demo models left? You possibly could get a lower price on demo's because "technically" they are not allowed to sell them as "new", and I believe you still get the whole "new" warranty with it considering it wasn't really "used". A dealer here might speak up to give more info on this.

I own MInelabs...I'd buy the Pro over the eTrac. Just my 2c.

+2

I've had both, both great machines.Here's my take.I don't think either machine is finding more than the other.
Etrac is slightly faster but both are slow compared to single frequency machines.
Both are FBS and hit coins at depth without even trying.The explorer se pro has more id segments than the Etrac, theoretically the se pro should be more presice on id.
Both are heavy,but that's the only downside of any FBS machine I saw.Personally, if it was a $100 dollar difference I'd get the Etrac just cause its newer tek.If it were hundreds I'd get the se pro.

The SE pro and the II had sweeter sounds. Some people that switched to the Etrac switched back to, and preferred the se pro & II. Thus the reason the used ones still command a hefty price.

Plus, the slightly better depth advantage over the eTrac, and the fact that I really don't care for VID #'s that the eTrac uses.

You guys all rock! I can't thank you enough for your opinions on this subject and others - this forum is truly the best!

I'm thinking about upgrading from my 705 and getting the Etrac...or the SE PRO. Granted the SE PRO is no longer in production, it's funny that they are still selling for top dollar - weird now that the ETRAC was its replacement.

Why would anyone pay full price for an Explorer SE Pro if Minelab no longer supports the product?

I've read that the ETRAC is better at target separation than the SE Pro, yet processing speed was sacrificed and you need to swing much slower, is this true?

I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but I would love some feedback.

last week i seen on ebay serious detecting store has a brand new explorer se pro...they have it listed for $1300 i think.....and ive seen it for many months!..not sure if its there still but they may have come to realize they arent gonna get near $1300 for it and may be ready to let it go cheap just to rid themselves of it ...i have not seen anyone sellin brand new explorer se pros in long time!! I would call em and see if they are willing to talk..they have to wanna see it gone seein etracs are pretty much same as the price they have on it

Update: I ended up getting a gently used SE PRO from one of our sponsors the other day, totally psyched to get this and start to understand an FBS machine.

Just curious, if I'm use to going ALL METAL with the 99 tones on the 705 would you think the move over to the SE PRO in ALL METAL will be an advantage?

Also, does anyone have a list of FERR COND codes for the SE PRO so I can see how various coins read, the 705 just shows a 2 digit number for TID.

Any directions SE PRO users can point me in would be greatly appreciated!

A little late for the debate, but here's my 2¢

I bought a SE Pro when I had my DFX and although the depth was OK I didn't notice all that great. Used it for about 2 years then bought an E-Trac and it was like night and day for me. The E-Trac was deeper but far more accurate on target ID.

And don't take this wrong the SE Pro is still a great detector, I just felt in my use the E-Trac was better. In my opinion those FBS's are just plain hard to beat when dealing with raw depth.

Last edited:
Update: I ended up getting a gently used SE PRO from one of our sponsors the other day, totally psyched to get this and start to understand an FBS machine.

Just curious, if I'm use to going ALL METAL with the 99 tones on the 705 would you think the move over to the SE PRO in ALL METAL will be an advantage?

Also, does anyone have a list of FERR COND codes for the SE PRO so I can see how various coins read, the 705 just shows a 2 digit number for TID.

Please report back with results! I would purchase the Andy sabisch explorer and etrac book. They can be had relatively cheap. HH!

+2

I've had both, both great machines.Here's my take.I don't think either machine is finding more than the other.
Etrac is slightly faster but both are slow compared to single frequency machines.
Both are FBS and hit coins at depth without even trying.

The explorer se pro has more id segments than the Etrac, theoretically the se pro should be more presice on id.

Both are heavy,but that's the only downside of any FBS machine I saw.Personally, if it was a $100 dollar difference I'd get the Etrac just cause its newer tek.If it were hundreds I'd get the se pro.

The SE has ONLY 992 segments, the E-Trac has 1750. If you doubt me, do the math 32 x 31 on the SE and 35 x 50 on the E-Trac. Also, you can check page 19 of Andy's book.

You really need to get Andy Sabisch's book... http://www.sabischbooks.com/books/minelab/

But this should help you out... http://www.findmall.com/read.php?63,820520

GL & HH

As usual, all good information from everyone - yes I am going to get the Sabisch book from another MDr in the forum, very excited to see what this machine can do on old home sites I've already killed with the 705.

Back
Top Bottom